FORUMS: list search recent posts

High quality 90 min DVD?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Howard
High quality 90 min DVD?
on Oct 31, 2008 at 10:09:04 am

Hi,
I'm about to start a job that involves delivering a 90 min DVD to a distribution company for retail.
My usual vids are max 60 min and I simply author in Encore and transcode using auto or high quality VBR setting.
I understand that a 90 min video may require each scene to be evaluated and transcoded seperately depending on camera movement etc..
My video will consist of a theatre performance with intervews intercut, talking heads mostly ...
Will I get a decent quality output using standard settings in Encore or have I shot myself in the foot re having to evaluate each scene and transcode separately ? (Something I have no idea how to do!)

Any advice gratefully received....

Alan

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: High quality 90 min DVD?
on Oct 31, 2008 at 11:46:39 am

Hi Alan,

You should be just fine with 90 minutes and automatic transcoding.

If by any chance you are unhappy with the quality, then picking out the parts for re-transcoding isn't as hard as you think. It just takes more time.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Alan Howard
on Oct 31, 2008 at 2:14:38 pm

Thanks Jeff,
is the process explained in your book (which I have)...
I guess you set in / out points on the time line and set a higher bit rate for footage with lots of changes within the frame and lower for less?
Alan

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 31, 2008 at 2:46:13 pm

Page 94 in my book, "Joining Assets in a Single Timeline" describes how to do it. Let me know if you need further clarification.

I mention that you can do the transcoding in Encore, but that option is available in your NLE as well. In that case, you would simply stitch together in an Encore timeline the transcoded files from your NLE or Compression software.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 4, 2008 at 3:57:53 pm

Use CBR 6000 with Dolby audio, the whole thing should look fine.

If you think certain areas need higher quality, then use 2-Pass VBR (Variable Bitrate) with 6000 as the average, and set the high and low to what you want, so you might have 4000-6000-7000. This will accomplish what you are asking about, adding additional quality in scenes that need it, and using a lower data rate on simple scenes like the talking head shot.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]