FORUMS: list search recent posts

transcode XDCAM-EX straight to Blu Ray?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Burch
transcode XDCAM-EX straight to Blu Ray?
on Oct 30, 2008 at 5:31:46 am

I was wondering if anybody knew if there was a way to simply transcode XDCAM-EX footage (from a Sony EX-1 or EX-3) to Blu Ray-compatible MPEG-2 without recompressing. Both are MPEG-2 long-GOP streams, and the 35 Mbps VBR data rate of XDCAM is well within the limits of Blu Ray, so theoretically it should be possible. This would be great if it could work because it would not only save on encoding time but would also preserve the quality of XDCAM, which I am very happy with. Does anybody have an definitive knowledge about this?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: transcode XDCAM-EX straight to Blu Ray?
on Oct 30, 2008 at 1:31:02 pm

Not all MPEG streams are alike. The streams recorded by your camera are not BD compliant so there will need to be some transcoding done.

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Oct 31, 2008 at 3:43:35 am

Transcoding or re-compressing? I understand that the file format is different in terms of the flags and data wrappers but does that mean that the actual video information needs to be changed? I guess what I'd like to know is what it is about XDCAM EX video that is non-compliant with Blu Ray spec, and am wondering if it is possible to simply "conform" the already-compressed video to become Blu Ray-compliant.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 31, 2008 at 6:50:47 am

I guess re-compressing would be a better term. I believe it would be possible to get a complaint stream. I suggest the Doom9 forums. Plenty of guys there who would be better qualified in that kind of stuff. These guys are hobbyist and it amazing me what some can do.

http://forum.doom9.org/

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Nov 1, 2008 at 1:01:54 am

Thanks for the reference! I'll be sure to check it out :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]