FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV in Encore?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Mortensen
HDV in Encore?
on Oct 25, 2008 at 5:05:42 am

I'm making a short film for a class, and running into some difficulty. I have shot about 3 hours worth of HDV footage from a Z1U and captured it via Premier 2 (CS2). I'm now done with the editing and want to export it to Encore 2. Am I correct in learning that Encore 2 does not support 1440x1080? If so, what can I do to retain the quality? What export settings should I be using in premiere? Please help!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: HDV in Encore?
on Oct 25, 2008 at 1:07:09 pm

Encore 2.0 deals with standard definition video only. You could scale the HDV footage in Premiere and output a 720x480 SD DVD-legal MPEG file, but I don't recommend that. Premiere's tools for resizing (and deinterlacing) are crude and will not give good quality results.

There is a free solution available to you, but it is not point-and-click easy. Read all 182 posts in this Adobe U2U Premiere Pro forum topic. Dan Isaac's scripts for AviSynth and VirtualDub will produce outstanding results.

Good luck,
-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Drew Mortensen
on Oct 25, 2008 at 1:19:37 pm

Okay, I will definitely check this out as I always love free solutions. My time frame here is a bit of a tight one though, and so I would appreciate any non-free solutions as well. Does Encore in CS3 or CS4 deal well with HDV footage?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 25, 2008 at 1:37:29 pm

I also like Sorenson Squeeze's results when encoding to SD DVD from HDV. The interface is intuitive. The new deinterlacing algorithm (usually necessary for scaling) in version 5 is excellent. There is a trial available.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Drew Mortensen
on Oct 25, 2008 at 2:05:30 pm

Jeff, Thank you for your help. I'm only vaguely familiar with Sorensen Squeeze, and even less familiar with HDV footage. Please forgive the ignorance.

1. When you talk about using Squeeze, how should I get the files out of Premiere and into squeeze? What format/settings should I be using? Should I still be going through Adobe Media Encoder to create the file that will be pulled into Squeeze?

2. The final footage is going to be viewed on a TV, not a computer screen, so should I be deinterlacing the footage? Doesn't deinterlacing create whole frames and get rid of fields? I thought that fields were necessary for playback on a TV.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 25, 2008 at 2:36:06 pm

1. Export using the exact same settings as your source video. So if your source video is 1440x1080 MPEG2, Upper Field First, with a PAR of 1.33, export it that way. Be sure to keep the frame rate the same too. With unlimited time and hard drive space, I would suggest exporting to uncompressed or to a lossless codec, but the "same settings" method works too, and is simpler.

2. Squeeze will take care of all that when you choose the MPEG2 DVD preset. Trust it. (The real answer to your question is yes *and* no, but I don't want to get into a technical discussion here of why that is.)

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]