FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with the last chapter link

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin Gross
Problem with the last chapter link
on Oct 2, 2008 at 6:36:43 pm

I have a project with 10 chapters on a timeline. I have a main menu (play all and chapter selection). Then two chapter menus, 6 chapters on the first with main and next buttons, and 4 chapters and a link to a second short timeline on the second (and prev and main buttons as well).

The whole thing works great except that the final chapter link for the first timeline goes back to the first chapter menu. I thought it was a problem whit my original timeline so I split it into two separate movies. Now what was the last chapter link (which had the same problem before) is a link to the second timeline, and the new last chapter link (chap 10) is malfunctioning in the same way.

I've check all the links in the properties panel and in the flow chart and it all looks good. I can't think of anything else. This is my first project in Encore. Is it perhaps a problem with how I have the final chapter markers arranged, or something do do with an End Action?

I'm on a Mac Pro using Production Premium CS3

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Problem with the last chapter link
on Oct 2, 2008 at 6:43:29 pm

Have you got an end action on the last chapter?

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Oct 2, 2008 at 7:27:13 pm

Yes, "Main Menu:Default"

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Oct 2, 2008 at 7:39:21 pm

I don't understand all of the details of your project, but it sounds like it's doing what you told it to do: when the chapter playback ends, go to the main menu, default button.

What do you want it to do?

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Oct 2, 2008 at 7:45:59 pm

I'm sorry my message isn't more clear, I barely understand what's going on myself, I'm very new to Encore.

I have a chapter button linked to the final part of a presentation, approx. 5 min before the end of that timeline. But instead of going to that part of the video it goes to a different chapter menu. The end action is set for the Main Menu.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Oct 2, 2008 at 7:55:15 pm

Here's a bit of advice that may help. Don't use chapter end actions. And in case you are and it hasn't come out yet, by all means do not use overrides.

Let me take a guess and state that you basically want two functions from your menus: to play all chapters in a timeline, or to play individual chapters only.

Is this correct? Let me know, then we can go from there.

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Oct 2, 2008 at 8:08:25 pm

You know what, it was the override, whatever that is. All of the override windows on all the buttons were set to "Chapter Selection Menu 1". I deleted all of them and now it works fine. It was only effecting that one chapter though, that was weird.

I've learned a ton about Encore though. I even made totally custom motion menus that match the opening sequence to the award presentation. I'm awesome.

Thanks for your help Joe.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Oct 2, 2008 at 8:11:45 pm

You are awesome.

Overrides aren't usually necessary in Encore 2.0 or later, and are the number one cause of navigation errors. Avoid using them if you can, and use them only when you fully understand them and they are absolutely necessary.

If you ever find you need to use an override, consider whether a chapter playlist would be a better choice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]