FORUMS: list search recent posts

Play All Button Weirdness

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Cox
Play All Button Weirdness
on Sep 29, 2008 at 2:00:38 pm

I built a project, 7 buttons linked to 7 videos plus a Play All Button. If I preview it or burn it to a DVD the Play All works but at the end of the second video it returns to the Main Menu. I have rebuilt the project three times with the same results. I have even tried changing the video/button order but always with the same result. There are no overlapping buttons.
Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have run out of ideas and am pulling out the little hair that I have left.
I am using Encore 2.
Any and all help appreciated.
GEORGE.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Play All Button Weirdness
on Sep 29, 2008 at 3:10:20 pm

Do you have any overrides set anywhere in the project?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

George Cox
on Sep 29, 2008 at 3:49:16 pm

Except for the Play All and the last clip the Override is set to Main Menu.
I have just deleted all the Overrides and the problem is still the same.
GEORGE.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Sep 29, 2008 at 4:18:34 pm

Please check each and every asset and object in your project again. Your symptoms are textbook for problems that occur when overrides are used incorrectly and/or unnecessarily.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

George Cox
on Sep 29, 2008 at 6:08:47 pm

I have just rebuilt the project and only set the End Actions and Using Play All it plays right through to the last clip and then back to the Main Menu. If I set the Overrides, to return to the Main Menu, I am back to the same problem.
GEORGE.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Sep 29, 2008 at 6:14:50 pm

Don't use overrides. Unless you understand exactly what they do, you will not get your expected behavior.

Use chapter playlists with end actions instead - much simpler.

Return to posts index

George Cox
on Sep 29, 2008 at 6:18:37 pm

I have always used Override in the past without problems.
To be honest, I do not know how to "Use chapter playlists with end actions instead". Can you point me to a tutorial, please.
GEORGE.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Sep 29, 2008 at 6:22:17 pm

Here's what an override does: it replaces the end action of the targeted object. If you fully understand this statement, then overrides shouldn't give you much trouble.

However, chapter playlists and end actions are just easier to work with. Explain what you want to happen, and I can give you an outline of how to do it with chapter playlists.

Return to posts index

George Cox
on Sep 29, 2008 at 6:29:26 pm

Well I have 7 video clips, each linked to a button. There is a Play All button linked to the first video and it plays through to the 7th clip and then returns to the Main Menu. But I want to be able to "click" on any button and just play that clip. This is what I have used Override for in the past without problems. In fact, before posting my problem here, I checked the tutorial on the Wrigley Video site to ensure that I was doing it correctly.
GEORGE.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Sep 29, 2008 at 6:35:09 pm

You have a single timeline with multiple clips, right?

Here's how you do it:

1. Create a timeline that has all the clips (and chapters) with no overrides. Set the end action of the timeline to where you want to go after the entire timeline has played. Link the Play All button to chapter 1 of this timeline.

2. Create a chapter playlist for each clip in the timeline. Set the end action of each chapter playlist to where you want to go after the the chapter playlist plays (presumably back to the menu). Link each button to each chapter playlist that you want to play.

That's really all there is to it.

Return to posts index

George Cox
on Sep 29, 2008 at 7:03:10 pm

Well I am lost. I have read your instructions and have also read the help file and it does not make sense to me. Is there a tutorial [preferably video] that explains Timelines and Chapters.
Sorry for being a P.I.T.A,
GEORGE.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Sep 29, 2008 at 7:53:10 pm

There may be a video tutorial somewhere (I don't know), but if you can make a timeline with clips in it, that's most of the work.

You can create a chapter playlist by selecting a timeline in the Project panel, then choose New > Chapter Playlist. Then just drag the chapters over from the timeline side into the chapter playlist side (one chapter per chapter playlist).

Return to posts index

George Cox
on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:20:01 pm

Well, so far I have found out how to put each of the video clips into a Timeline. That is proress for me. I was searching for Encore tutorials and guess what I found. A tutorial on the Cow site by Timothy Kurkoski using the Override!!! Virtually identical to the one on Wrigley video. Back to the search.
GEORGE.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:26:54 pm

Overrides are old-school.

Try this for a tutorial: http://tinyurl.com/543grz

Return to posts index

George Cox
on Sep 30, 2008 at 9:15:52 am

Joe,
The link redirects me to Wrigley Video and then a link to Doog but that is another "Not Found".
GEORGE.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Sep 30, 2008 at 1:41:17 pm

My last post links directly to a zip file...nothing to do with Wrigley.

Return to posts index

George Cox
on Sep 30, 2008 at 1:58:44 pm

If I copy and paste http://tinyurl.com/543grz it changes the address to http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21353 and when that opens it shows a link to http://asvideoproductions.com/doogs/chapte...%20playlist.zip 14MB zip but the link does not work.
GEORGE.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Oct 1, 2008 at 2:13:35 pm

Sorry George, no other video tutorials that I know of.

You may want to look into Jeff Belune's book.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Oct 1, 2008 at 2:58:47 pm

Whoops, sorry about that typo, Jeff! Need more coffee...

Jeff Bellune's book.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 1, 2008 at 3:24:48 pm

Thanks, Joe!

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:28:15 pm

Try this for a tutorial:

http://asvideoproductions.com/doogs/chapter%20end%20actions%20and%20chapter...

Return to posts index

George Cox
on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:33:04 pm

Joe,
Could you check the link as I keep getting Page Not Found if I click on it or Copy/Paste it.
GEORGE.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:35:15 pm

Me, too...sorry George, I found the link on a web search, but didn't click on it before posting it here.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:39:36 pm

Here's the link that works:

http://www.doogs-tutorials.com/Encore%202.0%20tutorials/intermediate/002-in...

Return to posts index

George Cox
on Sep 29, 2008 at 10:14:51 pm

Joe,
I had already found that tutorial. Downloaded it, unzipped it and it will not play [sound only and distorted]. As it is an .avi file I tried to open it in Premiere but still no good. I'll keep searching.
GEORGE.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Sep 29, 2008 at 6:17:38 pm

[George Cox] "If I set the Overrides, to return to the Main Menu, I am back to the same problem."

Exactly. Don't use overrides. Use Chapter Playlists and Chapter End Actions instead.

If each of your "chapters" are in separate timelines, then use a standard playlist for the Play All function.

Do not ever use overrides unless you know exactly what they do, how they can possibly affect your disc navigation and then only if you are absolutely certain the other playlist options can't accomplish the required navigation.

In other words, the answer to the question "When should I use Overrides?" comes very close to "Never." :-)

EDIT: Apparently Joe is just a bit quicker on the Submit Post button than I am today.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]