FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image Button looks too crisp

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Bob
Image Button looks too crisp
on Sep 16, 2008 at 1:10:35 am

I have an image button formatted in psd. The image looks smooth, but when I import them into Encore, the edges of the image looks very crisp. Is there any way that I can smooth them out?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Image Button looks too crisp
on Sep 16, 2008 at 1:28:08 pm

It's probably just a rendering artifact in the display of the Menu editor. Have you tried Previewing the menu (in Encore Preview mode)?

Return to posts index

Jack Bob
on Sep 16, 2008 at 2:50:43 pm

I did. Previewed then burned to DVD. The button is too crisp on TV screen.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Sep 16, 2008 at 3:08:35 pm

I've created hundreds of menus in Photoshop and used them in Encore, and have never seen this problem.

Maybe you could post the PSD someplace, and I can look at it on my system?

Return to posts index

Jack Bob
on Sep 16, 2008 at 3:58:15 pm

Thanks for your help Joe. Here is the psd:
http://uploadpsd.com/file/38191.psd

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Sep 16, 2008 at 4:27:46 pm

Thanks for posting the file.

What you are seeing is the highlight layer (=1) being distorted as it's converted into the correct format for button highlights. It's jarring because you have fading opacity in the artwork of the highlight layer, and that's being (unavoidably) crushed in the highlight conversion process.

In DVD-Video, button highlights are a 2 bit indexed graphical overlay. What this means in practical terms is that the artwork highlight layer cannot have more than one opacity, so no soft strokes such as you have, no drop shadows, glows etc...just full on pixels for the highlight layer.

Now if you want to avoid this limitation by not using highlight layers, you can get what you want from this button by creating multiple menus, and then switching to the next menu using the button auto-activate feature. Note that this will be a lot of work if you have multiple buttons and menus.

Return to posts index

Jack Bob
on Sep 22, 2008 at 4:23:53 am

I see what you mean. I was hoping someone would convince me that button highlights are a 2 bit indexed. I guess the best I can do is to set the opacity down in Encore, just to give a bit of a touch with motion menus. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]