FORUMS: list search recent posts

dual layer dvd on encore ??

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Garcia
dual layer dvd on encore ??
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:40:23 am

Hey all

I know this is a tall order but I need the fast and dirty on dual layer dvd burning.

(Better late than never) I just got my first dual layer burner and pack of media.
Basic work flow is DVX100b cam, 30fps progressive, CS2 Premiere, Audition, Encore...

The gig is one long Proscenium style job of Dance company (junior high kids) approximately 3 hours of DVD after cutting away intermissions and some basic titles thrown in.

````````````````

Need the 'fast and dirty' on dual layer. Yes I'm reading up,,, but want to learn from users regarding pitfalls and caveats to watch for.

Also, dumb question of the day, With this larger media at my disposal can I assume short jobs (1 hour or so) will be of greater quality and appearance since I'll not need allot of compression?? Will Encore manage this? or Am I gonna need a lesson in tweaking bit rates and such?

I know I want to ask more stuff but that'll come along the way.

thanx for now
joe

JOE
X-Porter

Gen 1:1

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: dual layer dvd on encore ??
on Aug 30, 2008 at 12:52:55 pm

Hi Joe,

If you like where Encore puts your layer break, then DL in En is easy. If you don't like where En puts your layer break, then things get a lot harder very fast.

Here is a link to Neil Wilkes' guide to manually setting a legal layer break that is close to where you want it. Warning: don't read that guide unless you have to; it can be intimidating. :-)

[Joe Garcia] "With this larger media at my disposal can I assume short jobs (1 hour or so) will be of greater quality and appearance since I'll not need allot of compression?"

With 1 hour or less of program content, disc space is not the limiting factor - bit rate is. For burned discs, you probably shouldn't go over 7 Mbps for the video portion. If you have quality blank media, a good burner with the latest firmware, and limit your burn speeds to the lower of 1/2 the rated speed of the media or the burner, then you may get away with as much as 8 Mbps.

Most modern software encoders produce excellent results at any bit rate over 6 Mpbs.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Joe Garcia
on Aug 30, 2008 at 3:20:58 pm

Jeff !! that you ??? I'm not worthy !! LOL

Thank you so much for taking a moment to respond.

I know,, should'a had the book by now, but Jeff I am only now getting to where most of you have been for years but looks well written and the illustrations seam to ne well done. I'll check it out....

cheers

JOE
X-Porter

Return to posts index

Joe Garcia
on Aug 31, 2008 at 3:28:08 am

Not doing too good here, need some help

Encore does not see my DL drive. It's a SATA drive but I have a DVD SL burner that's SATA and I have no issues there. Any ideas would be a help.

JOE
X-Porter

Return to posts index

Ted Strickler
on Sep 2, 2008 at 11:24:08 am

Joe, I still haven't burned any dual layer disks yet I have been just using two disks on the larger projects. Except for ink, its cheaper. So I can't help out there but as far as better quality on smaller jobs, there is a limit to your bit rate. My limit is usually 6.5 but I think many people go to 7 kbs because of compatability issues with some players. Also, I am a first time or new user of Encore so I am still learning it. I have always use DVD Workshop for the past six years. It looks like Encore is going to be sweet!

Ted

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]