FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Sticky" menu

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Woods
"Sticky" menu
on Aug 28, 2008 at 2:57:42 pm

Yo.

I am making a training style DVD for a client.
The user watches a video and then the dvd goes to a "holding menu" so the group can discuss what they just saw before moving on.

This holding menu has three buttons. Replay. Next and Main Menu.

There are 8 videos to watch. On the third "holding menu" the replay button is highlighted (it is button one) but I cannot select any of the other buttons. Its works fine within Encores preview. It is just when I burn the project to disc.

Any suggestions or should I try remaking this entire project?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: "Sticky" menu
on Aug 28, 2008 at 3:36:14 pm

Are you on a Mac that's running Leopard?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

James Woods
on Aug 28, 2008 at 4:07:07 pm

Not today. Am on a XP machine. All the elements have also been made on PCs.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 28, 2008 at 4:17:24 pm

Is there anything different about the 3rd menu? Anything at all? Be sure to check the Layers panel very carefully, as well as the button routing.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

James Woods
on Aug 28, 2008 at 4:26:10 pm

It is literally a duplicate of the previous menu with the button links changed.

I tried setting the previous end action to place the cursor on the second button ( Next ) and it does, but again, you cannot move the cursor off that button. Again it works fine in the encore preview, but not on the burnt DVD.

Return to posts index

James Woods
on Aug 29, 2008 at 9:23:45 am

Ok so looking at my button routing, all directions are set to zero, which would explain why the cursor wont move!

Just going to go read the manual to see if I can learn how to button route correctly!

Return to posts index

James Woods
on Aug 29, 2008 at 9:26:59 am

and the answer is..... de-select the auto routing button and then reselect it...... how very strange.....

fixed now. Thanks for your help Jeff!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 29, 2008 at 11:14:19 am

You're welcome. :-)

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Tony Zaragoza
on Sep 11, 2008 at 6:10:00 am

Is the Sticky menu the technique used for movies I've seen that play for a while and pause, with text that displays "what should he do? go left (button 1) or go right (button 2)". then, the user chooses one button which brings them to the video. Later, the video pauses again, and 3 choices are display (like in a murder mystery where you can 'control' the path of the movie).

Is this a tutorial somewhere? I'd like to know how to do this!!!

Tony

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Sep 11, 2008 at 12:35:03 pm

Three ways:

1. Create separate timelines for each training/mystery segment. The end action of the timelines will link to an appropriate menu.

2. Use Chapter End Actions to link to the menus if you won't need the whole thing to play back seamlessly.

3. Use Chapter Playlists instead of Chapter End Actions if you will need seamless playback of the whole program.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Tony Zaragoza
on Sep 11, 2008 at 6:45:54 pm

I'll have to hit the tutorial book (and the Encore CS3 video on Lynda.com) to learn about Chapter Playlist. I've learn most things on Encore, but it seems I have to now learn and understand a few more points....like Chapter Playlist. I'll tackle that today.

QUESTION:

Say I'm watching TimeLine #1, at the end (I"m guessing here) I put a Chapter Marker and set the End Action to go to a Menu which, for purposes of "seamlessness", make it a exact replica (scree shot or copy the PSD file) of the last frame of the timeline? If yes, then I assume at this point I could match the last frame of the timeline with a motion menu created in AE (so buttons can slide in or fade in) to (try to) avoid any jumping or stutter. Yes?
Then the 3 buttons simply point to their respective timeline....and the End Action at the new timeline is created just like as described?

Therefore, what you are saying is: you don't "freeze" the video at the last frame of the timeline, you just use a snap-shot of the last fram as a completely seperate assest (menu) and just make sure it appears exactly over the last frame, containing buttons with links to the other timeline choices?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Sep 11, 2008 at 7:14:13 pm

If I understand you correctly then yes, that is as "seamless" as you can get. Just be aware that it may not appear seamless on *every* DVD player out there.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]