FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound distortion in Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geert Buskes
Sound distortion in Encore
on Aug 19, 2008 at 6:04:00 pm

Hello Guys,

Here again my post about the distortion of sound, i feel this has sunk to the bottom of this forum unanswered and i dont know how to get it up. My project has to be ready at the end of this month and im still experiencing problems with this. Hope u guys can help!!

Sorry if this isnt the correct way to do this...

Geert

Original posts
------------------------------------------------------------------

Encore sound distortion after export
by Geert Buskes on Aug 5, 2008 at 12:24:12 pm

Hello Guys,

This is my first post here. Im having some serious trouble with audio in Encore. I'll try my best to explain what i did, what software i used and what settings i used. I also post the solutions i have tried so far that didnt work.

What i did:

I made an intro in Adobe AE7.0 wich should start when the dvd is put in the player. I have made a menu in PS CS2.0 and animated this in AE7.0. To test i have imported a part of a video that got imported directly into adobe premiere CS2. Both the intro and the animated menu have sound effects on them added in AE7.0, the video material has the original sounds attached. All video material is AVI

The problem
When i set-up my dvd in encore and export it to a .iso file the sound works just fine on my computer, when i burn it on disk and play that on my dvdplayer the sound completely distorts and only excists of weird clicks, beats etc.. The sound settings i used for this are PCM audio and Dolby, both with the same results.

Note: A friend of mine burned the original material on a disk (the material i picked a part from to test my Encore with) and this works just fine. Only when it has gone through Encore it gets ruined.

Things i have tried to fix this

Reinstall Encore 2.0 -> No effect
Install Encore CS3.0 -> No effect
In after effects i put down the audio levels to -6.0db, i also viewed the VU meter and the audio never exceeds 0.0db -> No effect

I realy need encore to set up my dvd the way i like and im getting pretty desperate, so i realy hope you guys can help me pinpoint and solve this problem!!

Greetings,

Geert

Re: Encore sound distortion after export
by Jeff Bellune on Aug 5, 2008 at 2:46:40 pm

[Geert Buskes] "The problem
When i set-up my dvd in encore and export it to a .iso file the sound works just fine on my computer, when i burn it on disk and play that on my dvdplayer the sound completely distorts and only excists of weird clicks, beats etc.. The sound settings i used for this are PCM audio and Dolby, both with the same results.

Note: A friend of mine burned the original material on a disk (the material i picked a part from to test my Encore with) and this works just fine. Only when it has gone through Encore it gets ruined."

1. What bit rate is used in the video? The audio?

2. When you say it plays on your computer, is that just the source files, or is that the authored DVD?

3. Do you use En to burn the image, or do you use another program for burning?

-Jeff

-----------------------------------------------------------------

by Geert Buskes on Aug 6, 2008 at 8:47:10 am

1)I dont know where to check the bitrate, im fairly new to video editting.
2) The source files and the exported DVD play fine on my pc, the exported DVD gets distorted on TV.
3) I use Nero 6 to burn the .iso i create on disc.

I tried another solution wich kinda fixed my problem. I now export the source files from AE and Premiere to Mpeg-2 with PCM audio before i import in Encore. This makes the sound work, but i get a few nasty bumpy/hestitating/stuttering area's in the end result, does this have to do with the chosen format or with my slow PC?

Greetings,

by Jeff Bellune on Aug 6, 2008 at 2:16:12 pm

What transcode settings did you use in En? And what settings in Pr, when you transcoded to mpeg2 there?

-Jeff

-------------------------------------------------------------------

by Geert Buskes on Aug 11, 2008 at 12:21:13 pm

Sorry for my late reaction:

What i did is the following, i used mpeg-2 (not mpeg-2 dvd) and used the following settings/actions in AE:

i press CTRL+M when the right comp is selected
i press on output module
i use the following settings:

Format: Mpeg2
Embed: Project link (unchangable)
Post render action: none

Video output: RGB/Millions of Colors/Premultiplied (matted)
In format options i leave everything standard except for audio where i use PCM.

I export on Pal 25 frames a sec, everything is meant for european Pal televisions

Audio export settings are: 48 KHZ 16 bit stereo

In encore the transcode option in the transcode colums says:

Don't Transcode

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Sound distortion in Encore
on Aug 19, 2008 at 6:09:46 pm

The only thing that I can think of is that you are transcoding the audio to mpeg audio, which may not play correctly or may not play at all on some set-top players.

Is Encore set to transcode audio to MPEG audio? Try going to the Advanced tab of Project settings and switch that to Dolby Digital or PCM.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Geert Buskes
on Aug 19, 2008 at 6:20:20 pm

I browsed a bit in the Encore cs3 help, but i cant find transcode settings nor advanced project settings, can u explain me how i get there?

Thanks,

Geert

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 19, 2008 at 7:46:18 pm

File>Project Settings>Advanced.

Check the Audio Transcoding Scheme.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Geert Buskes
on Aug 20, 2008 at 8:16:40 am

It was set to Dolby Digital, I will now try with PCM.

What is the best way to export the DVD or shudnt this matter?

I use export to .iso now.

Return to posts index

Geert Buskes
on Aug 20, 2008 at 8:35:50 am

Hello Jeff,

In the Advanced project settings i took Audio/Video Bitrate and set that to 9,4. I also changed sound from dolby to PCM (same as the imported materials) I dont know wich one of the two fixed it but the problems are gone! Can i use these settings without a problem?

Another question:

When i export to DVD Folder i get only a VIDEO_TS folder and as far as i remember this should be VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS (the audio is working fine though) Is this bad or is there no problem with this?

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 20, 2008 at 11:42:51 am

Hi Geert,

Do you know what the bit rate was set to before? Because 9.4 is really too high for a burned DVD. It's dangerously high even for a pressed DVD.

The maximum total bit rate for a DVD is 10.08 Mbits/sec, which includes video, audio and subtitles. With a bit rate of 9.4, you havent' left much room for audio or encoder mistakes, such as bit rate spikes that go over the max. A good rule to follow when planning your disc is to keep the total bit rate for video and audio combined below 9.8 Mbits/sec. And some hardware DVD players will choke and sputter on burned DVDs if the video bit rate exceeds 7 or 8.

PCM audio is 1.5 Mbits/sec, so the max that realistically would be left over for video is about 6.5 Mbits/sec. In most cases, Dolby Digital would be a better choice unless you have a short program. MPEG audio is an optional format, so some DVD players won't play it. I never use MPEG audio.

To summarize - if you keep your video and audio bit rates under control, you will have more success with your burned DVDs.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Geert Buskes
on Aug 20, 2008 at 11:49:02 am

Hi Jeff,

Audio/Video bitrate was set at 8 mbps standard. I dont know what made the DVD play succesfull the upping of the a/v bitrate or using the PCM sound format. I will play around a bit with that and try to keep the bitrates as low as possible. I will post my findings here when the problem is completely solved.

The missing AUDIO_TS isnt a problem though ?

Greetings

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 20, 2008 at 11:51:58 am

Sorry. I meant to put that in my last post.

The AUDIO_TS folder is for DVD-A discs only. It has no meaning or relevance for DVD-V. If you check Hollywood DVDs, a lot of them don't have an AUDIO_TS folder.

However, some older players check for its presence, even though it is useless. Newer players shouldn't do that.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]