FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore quality issues..please help

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Mitchell
Encore quality issues..please help
on Aug 19, 2008 at 2:28:17 am

So I am authoring this DVD for an online education community who sells DVD's to aspiring VFX and Game artists....So a mass majority of these DVD's will be played on the Computer. I have everything ready to go and Encore gives me no errors.....All my video is exported at 640 X 480 to maintain proper aspect ratio of the tutorials on the DVD...the pixel aspects of everything including the Menus are square pixels..... When I play this project on the using any of the DVD player software on the computer I get very bad pixelation....is this because of the Burning process itself? The dvd plays good on the regular DVD player with the exception of the video getting cut off in the safe areas... What do I need to do to have these play at a high quality on the computer?? Has anyone else had this issue? All responses are greatly appreciated...

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Encore quality issues...please help
on Aug 21, 2008 at 9:27:21 pm

DVD uses 720x480 resolution, which is also the native size of DV video, so the 640x480 could be part of the problem.

What is your workflow - where does the video originate? Are you recording computer screens? I'm not clear on why you are using the 640x480 size. Please explain workflow (PC or Mac, software used, etc.)

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

Jonathan Mitchell
on Aug 22, 2008 at 5:01:45 am

Yes well the tutorials were exported at at a much higher resolution and 640 by 480 maintains the aspect ratio so it doesnt stretch...Im using PC and Encore CS3....These DVD's need to be played at a high quality...and the regular DVD doesnt not cut it with the quality on the PC....A mjority of these DVD's will be played on a computer as they are for computer artists....If i can find out how i can get this DVD to a DVD ROM so it will play the same way that would be great..

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Aug 22, 2008 at 10:45:12 am

John

It sounds as if you want to produce a DVD-ROM with multiple video files on it. Not a DVD-Video disk.

Am I right? You'll never get the high quality of the original videos from DVD Video...

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Aug 22, 2008 at 4:40:44 pm

Hi Jonathan,

You still haven't said what the original export resolution was, how it was exported/captured or anything, but from what I gather you are doing computer training videos, correct? Wanting to capture actions of computer user?

I learned the hard way you do NOT want to deliver on DVD video. Computer displays use high-resolution RGB color, and the color and detail cannot be reproduced in NTSC video, then add high-compression of MPEG-2 and you end up with mush. Computer screens just don't translate to NTSC very well.

I did a 3 hour training DVD and had a lot of complaints about quality. I ended up buying Camtasia screen capture software from TechSmith and starting over.

The results? Beautifully reproduced tutorials that play from CD on the PC, with over 3 hours taking up under 400mb!!

There are other similar products out there are well, Camtasia worked well for me, but you may want to consider something like that.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
http://www.sharbor.com

Return to posts index

Mike Biewer
Re: Encore quality issues...
on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:16:48 pm

Hey Jeff,

I'm doing something pretty similar to what is going on here. My client wants me to take his webinars and turn them into "products" but I'm struggling to get the DVD's to look good, just like this thread is talking about.

The idea was to make a DVD that we could put a filmed intro on, a menu with "additional resources" and then the video itself. But from what your saying here, this isn't possible?

We are using Camtasia and I'd like to hear what your process was for creating your ROM's. Did you end up using Flash?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 17, 2011 at 7:42:13 pm

Hi Mike,

Camtasia has a MenuMaker utility for creating self-contained programs, consisting of a customized menu from which the user can view any of the video segments. The program can be played back on any PC - the viewer is self contained and included an .exe file to run the program. I don't know if the menu player works on Macs or not, as I use PC.

As I finished each segment in Camtasia editor, I simply exported as Windows Media, letting Camtasia determine the quality, but Flash is certainly an option. I used .wmv because it has worked well in the past for me for PC presentations of this sort. Pretty economical too, under 400mb for almost 4 hours of training! Not bad for customer to download.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mike Biewer
on Jan 17, 2011 at 7:55:28 pm

Thanks!

I'm not sure my client will like this option though. The idea was to use something like Amazon's CreateSpace to create DVD's on demand and ship them off to users as they order them. I don't think that's possible with anything other than an actual DVD.

What are your thoughts on this information that I found?

http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2009/07/hd-to-sd-dvd-best-methods/

Looks like a lot of work to get something that seems straight forward like this to work.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:12:58 pm

OK, we have two different threads going, so to make sure we're on the same page, I'm talking about getting computer screens (applications tutorials with text) onto DVD - looks horrible! NTSC is not able to duplicate the display quality of a PC screen, better off delivering natively for computer viewing rather than NTSC DVD

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

Mike Biewer
on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:30:51 pm

Right,

But what I'm suggesting is, and I could be wrong, is that screen captured footage is HD. Just like creating graphics in After Effects. Those graphics are then able to make it out and on to an eventual DVD and look good correct?

The original thread was discussing taking captured footage and putting it onto a DVD. And you've stated its not possible. I'm only opening it back up with a different thought process with other resources to see if you think, based on the information in the provided links, would it be possible?

Just thinking and looking for feedback from other professionals. My video looks great on my monitor and just OK on my screen. If there is a way to have it look good on both, that would be great, but I'm probably just barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:31:29 pm

Can Amazon burn a data CD and deliver? That would be an option if creating Camtasia MenuMaker content for delivery.

Regarding Precomposed, I recently spent many, many hours downloading and installing and configuring all the shareware bits and pieces, and after much frustration, had to give up. I don't doubt that the methods work as advertised, but I couldn't get it to work myself.

But again, this won't help with converting a computer screen - this method is for improved HD to SD VIDEO, a whole different subject

Jeff

Return to posts index

Mike Biewer
on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:52:50 pm

I don't think Amazon can do it for anything other than DVD's and books. Do a quick search for "Create Space" and see, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Thanks for the help. I just want to make sure I've looked at a lot of options before I give up ya know.

The client suggested at the beginning of the project to state that the video is best viewed on a computer screen. Which it looks fine. However, I was hoping I could take things up a notch. Guess not.

Thanks again!

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]