FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Project identified as Windows

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
Mac Project identified as Windows
on Aug 11, 2008 at 8:02:07 pm

Create an Encore project on a Mac Pro.

Try to open that same Encore project on another Mac Pro.

Error Message: "This project was created on the Windows platform and cannot be opened here."

We don't own Encore for Windows. We don't own ANY Adobe software for Windows.

Any clue why we have been getting this error message for over a year now?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: Mac Project identified as Windows
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:33:59 pm

Walter

I'm new to Encore (mmm - blu-ray hell) but I had the same error message after I tried to open a COPY of a project. I just duplicated it in the finder and got this message

Don't know if that helps - makes no sense to me... I tried to copy it after the original project crashed encore every time I opened it.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 24, 2008 at 5:39:01 pm

[Ben Holmes] "I'm new to Encore (mmm - blu-ray hell) but I had the same error message after I tried to open a COPY of a project. I just duplicated it in the finder and got this message "

Yep, we get the same thing. I've come to the conclusion that Encore is useless on a Mac. We're going back to DVDSP for regular DVD's and we'll be trying out NetBlender's DoStudio. Since a discussion of DoStudio would go way off topic for some people on this forum, you'll find information about this on my blog probably in the next two weeks.

Hopefully we'll get a NetBlender forum here on the Cow at some point as well.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Sebastian Sulinski
on Sep 5, 2008 at 11:18:11 am

Hi guys,

I've been searching the internet for things like this as - I was for many years using Windows and have recently purchased a new iMac.
I have transferred all my Adobe Master Collection license to Mac and have realized that in fact - Encore has many bugs when running on Mac.

When you'll try to create a slideshow - you'll quickly see that images which are over 1MB have a blue tint when imported to the project.

I have also created custom menus in Photoshop, imported as Menus etc. and when I was previewing the project within the Encore everything seem to work fine - but when I've exported it (burned to the DVD disc) and played on my home DVD player - well - all of the button states were gone for some reason.

I'm quite disappointed that Adobe actually does much more and better work for Windows platforms rather than Mac.

The fact that one of the Adobe's most recent products - Adobe Ultra - which is a great tool for keying - is only available for Windows.
The same thing with Audition and Captive.

I'm still looking for some substitutes for these programs - in the meantime I have to use my other - PC - for some important tasks which simply cannot be done on Mac due to the lack of software available for this platform.

Thanks.

Sebastian Sulinski

Return to posts index

Jordi J Recort
on Nov 11, 2008 at 1:17:19 pm

I found a solution..

as stupid as the problem is!!!!

Maybe will not be suitable for everyone, but it works if you have both computers on the same network.

1. copy all the assets to the second mac (as you will do anyway)
2. From Mac 2, connect to Mac 1 and remotely open the project from Mac 1
3. The project will open on Mac 2 and will ask to reconnect media
4. Reconnect media to the local folder on Mac 2
5. Save as the project on local hard disck on Mac 2 and you're ready to rock!

Stupid workarounds for stupid problems!

Cheers!

Jordi J. Recort
Encamp/Andorra

Jordi J. Recort

Composer & Editor

Return to posts index

Kimmo saari
on Jul 13, 2009 at 10:20:19 pm

I managed to open a project which i made with Encore CS3 in Windows, in Encore CS4 on Macintosh.

First i had the same problem as you had, but then i wanted to "play around a little" and then i found an option to "cheat".

So, i had a project called "Studio move.ncor", and that project had "Studio move" folder which contains Encores cache data, etc.
Go into that folder and locate a file called "ProjectMedia.acx". Open it with Text editor.

As you can see, that file is pure XML and starts like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<EncoreProject xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="EncoreProject.xsd" platform="Windows" storageVersion="1.0">
<Context preset="PAL Dolby Digital" audioCodec="MPEG" maximumBitrate="6000000"/>

etc etc....

I think i dont need to say more? ;)

Ok, I'll say, just in case.
The second line in that file is:

<EncoreProject xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="EncoreProject.xsd" platform="<b>Windows</b>" storageVersion="1.0">

Just replace this:
platform="<b>Windows</b>"
with this:
platform="<b>Macintosh</b>"

Thats all i needed to do to get that project open.

But unfortunately mine video was .avi, and my Encore couldnt open that file on Mac, so i had to convert my video file from .avi -> .mov, and I converted/transcoded it with VLC player.

Hopefully this works for others also =)

Return to posts index

Andrew Weeks
on Aug 6, 2009 at 10:29:43 pm

[Kimmo saari] "Just replace this:
platform="Windows"
with this:
platform="Macintosh"

Thats all i needed to do to get that project open."

Kimmo,

Thanks ever so much for that. I've just finished a DVD project on a PC that's several hundred miles away from the Mac with the final source files. I had no idea the projects couldn't be transferred between platforms. It worked perfectly and you've saved us quite a few hours' work (along with, I suspect, an extra hour or two cursing Adobe).

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Greg Knollmeyer
on Oct 10, 2010 at 4:55:16 pm

THANK YOU, I just encountered this problem when going to Mac and have an instructional DVD with close to 100 chapters. This saved me much much much time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]