FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore Scroll Menu

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Huppel
Encore Scroll Menu
on Aug 10, 2008 at 3:41:15 pm

I'm creating a dvd menu using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Encore.
I want to create a scroll menu, here is a picture of what I want:

[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/dzblok.jpg[/IMG]

The idea is, that the user can use the black arrows to navigate up or down.

Can anyone please tell me how I can make this?

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
Re: Encore Scroll Menu
on Aug 11, 2008 at 11:35:33 am

Thank you so much! This is great!

I still have one question though :P In the tutorial when the creator previews the menu and scrolls, it goes is flawlesly.
When I scroll (I do have another lay-out) I can clearly see the changing from menu 1 to 2 etc. It looks really awful :S

What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

david garrett
on Aug 11, 2008 at 11:50:52 am

The Encore preview is not what I would call the best.. best advice i can give you is to use a DVD RW disc and then test play that on a set top DVD player as the little niggles with the preview are not always apparent on the completed DVD.

Glad the tuts helped...

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 11, 2008 at 12:11:11 pm

I'll try that.

But I got another question (it just hit me :P).
When creating this menu, the user can go from 1 to 2 to 3 etc.
But how is the user supposed to get back from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1?
Do I have to add a double link?

Maybe I should explain, that I have created a single arrow that goes down an line (like the moving square in the tutorial which actually does nothing but it looks like the user is moving it with the remote control) and when this arrow is all the way down I want it to go up again. Like from 4 to 3 to 2 and then to 1.

Is that possible with one arrow?

If I don't make sense I could upload a menu screenshot of what I have now.

Return to posts index

david garrett
on Aug 11, 2008 at 2:04:10 pm

personally I would use 2 arrows (1 up and 1 down)this will make navigation easier for the viewer, and I would just reverse the process that you used for the orginal down arrow scroll..

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 20, 2008 at 7:14:04 am

When I choose to burn a dvd in Encore, Encore starts with importing Sequence 1 (I only have one)which I made in Premiere.
'Data written' and 'Time remaining' are both zero.

Everytime the processing reaches the end of the bar, it just goes a little bit back and then it goes to the end again.

Does anyone know how I can slove this problem? Because it stops me from burning a dvd!

(BTW, there where no errors before burning the dvd!)

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 20, 2008 at 11:18:54 am

[Anne Muun] "Everytime the processing reaches the end of the bar, it just goes a little bit back and then it goes to the end again."

Here's the solution from the Encore FAQ on the Adobe forum:

Symptom:
Transcoding keeps getting to 99% or so, and reverting back to 75% and continuing Ad Infinitum in a seeming never-ending loop.

Problem:
The registry is corrupted.

Solution:
1. Close all programs.
2. Run Regedit.
3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Adobe -> Common.
4. Delete "Media Cache".
5. Restart computer.

Another possible culprit has proved to be an application called "FindSounds Palette" and it should be uninstalled completely using the following method:
Uninstall "Find Sounds Palette" (FS Palette).
Delete the two registry key folders for "Comparisonics".
Uninstall Encore CS3.
Delete Registry Keys for Encore.
Restart.
Re-Install Encore CS3.
Re-Install Encore 3.0.1 update.
Restart.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:40:55 pm

It worked! Thank you so much! :D

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 21, 2008 at 12:00:59 pm

I have another question.

I've been trying to create an animated thumbnail (NOT a button) in my menu. I've read several topics, including this one:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/145/863738

but I can't seem to make it work! In Photoshop I've created the (%) Thumbnail group and added the thumbnail where the video must go. The problem is, that the video can be added to the thumbnail, but it's just a still picture. I've set the loop point to 5 sec. but that didn't work either.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 21, 2008 at 12:08:58 pm

If the thumbnail isn't going to be a button, then the best way to add it is to make it part of a video clip that will be used as a background video for your menu.

If you make it a button, it can always be accessed in some way, even if you cleverly change the button routing to skip that button. Direct input of a button number on the remote control of hardware DVD player, or clicking on it with the mouse in a software DVD player are 2 ways that it can be accessed.

BTW, the reason it's not animating now is because you probably didn't render the motion menu before trying to preview it. Try File>Render>Motion Menus (the syntax may be a little different - I don't have Encore open right now).

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 22, 2008 at 7:33:05 am

Great, thanks to everyone for there answers! My dvd is burning right now :D (Transcoding takes a long time pfffff)

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 22, 2008 at 12:22:12 pm

I've burned the dvd, but a lot of scenes are choppy. One episode doesn't even play!
What's with that? And does Encore have to transcode?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 22, 2008 at 12:28:42 pm

[Anne Muun] "I've burned the dvd, but a lot of scenes are choppy. One episode doesn't even play!
What's with that? And does Encore have to transcode?"

Are your source files already mpeg2, DVD-compliant? If not, then Encore has to transcode.

What bit rate is used for the mpeg2 files?

What audio format are you using on the DVD - PCM, Dolby Digital, or MPEG audio?

What brand of blank media are you using?

What software and/or hardware DVD players are you using to test the disc?

The answers to all of these questions can affect how your disc turns out.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 22, 2008 at 12:58:08 pm

Here are the answers:

Are your source files already mpeg2, DVD-compliant? If not, then Encore has to transcode.
The source files are originally .VOB but converted to AVI because of the framesize (720-468). Is there a way I an convert them straight to MPEG-2?

What bit rate is used for the mpeg2 files?
I have no idea... where can I find that?

What audio format are you using on the DVD - PCM, Dolby Digital, or MPEG audio?
I use Dolby Digital.

What brand of blank media are you using?
I use a dvd-rw from Imation.

What software and/or hardware DVD players are you using to test the disc?

I've tested 3 dvd-players and my laptop:

Laptop: Works fine... only needs a little time to think about
the second episode. (didn't work on dvd players)

dvd player 1 (LG): Horrible... Choppy and episode 2 doesn't work. The
dvd player just stops playing the dvd after I choose
episode 2.

dvd player 2 (Philips): Also pretty horrible. It actually always plays horrible
with dvd-rw. But again, episode 2 won't work, the dvd
player goes back to the menu. Video is choppy.

dvd player 3 (?): Better then the other two. Video is less choppy but
the dvd player needs more time to 'think' about what
to play next. When choosen episode 2, it just plays
episode 1. After that, every other link to an episode
'change' into episode 1. Basically, I can't play any
other episode, then episode 1.

I hope that's enough information...

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 22, 2008 at 1:23:30 pm

Since they are coming off of the DVD directly as .VOB files, it will improve your chances of maintaining quality and not having Encore transcode if you can rip them to elementary .m2v/.mpv and .ac3 files (assuming the audio in the .VOB files is ac3). VideoReDo works for me, as do any number of free tools. Google for ripping software and you will have many choices.

It's possible Encore will still transcode them if it doesn't like something about the files. For example, 704x480 frame sizes will be transcoded to 720x480. It may be that your 720x486 frame size clips may also still get transcoded.

If Encore transcoded the .avi files using its "Automatic" setting, then your bit rate is probably OK. But to be safe, go to File>Project Settings>Advanced and then change the max transcoding bit rate to 7 Mbps from the default 8 Mbps. Some DVD players don't like bit rates above 7 Mbps on burned discs.

Try higher quality blank media. I recommend Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim (in that order). You may want to burn one +R or -R disc just to eliminate the possibility of RW being the playback problem.

Burn at only half the rated speed of your burner or your blank media, whichever is lower. That gives your burner a better chance of getting all the ones and zeros in the right place. :-)

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 22, 2008 at 1:31:11 pm

I'll try that right now... I let you no how it turned out.

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 23, 2008 at 12:23:04 pm

I converted the files to directly from VOB to MPG and the quality is mucht better! The episodes play fine and editing in Encore is easier :D

There's just one other thing. I've decided to put a Scene Selection menu on the dvd. Yesterday I've burned the dvd without any problems, but without the Scene Selection menu's. Right now, I want to burn the dvd again (with the Scene Selection menu's), but now Encore suddenly says that the project exceeds the disc capacity!

The four episodes combined are 4.6 GB. Why can't Encore burn the dvd?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 23, 2008 at 1:22:01 pm

Did you inadvertently add any DVD-ROM content?

If not, please list the exact steps that took to add the menus: what new assets you added, any new timelines you created, how you set up the new links, etc.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 23, 2008 at 1:28:53 pm

As far as I know, I didn't add any DVD-ROM content.

Like I said, yesterday the dvd was burned succesfully.
What I did today:

I've created four new 'Scene Selection' menu's in Photoshop. I added them to my project (of the dvd I burned yesterday). I did NOT add any movie or audio files! I just linked the 'Scene Selection' menu's together and to the four excisting menu's. I changed only one thing in the movie files, I added a cupple more Chapter Points.

Maybe I should note, that the 'Scene Selection' menu's I've added, have four animated buttons per menu, so sixteen in total.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 23, 2008 at 2:44:57 pm

[Anne Muun] "As far as I know, I didn't add any DVD-ROM content"

That's why I said "inadvertently". :-)

Make sure you check the DVD-ROM Content section of the Build panel.

The other thing to consider is that the animation of your Scene Select Menus requires En to put additional video content (the video that makes up the menu animations) on the disc. If your program content was very close to the 4.7 GB limit for a single-layer DVD, then those extra animations may have put the disc content over the limit.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 23, 2008 at 3:47:46 pm

I've checked the DVD-ROM folder, which is 8,90 GB. (If that is what you meant) The folders contains Chache and Sources folders...

Anyway, the previously burned dvd has a VTS folder size of 4.33 GB. The one I tried to burn today has a size of 4.38 GB.

I work on a WinXp PC. I burned the DVD folder with Encore and copied it to my WinVista laptop. From there I tried to burn the folder onto a DVD, but Vista says the folder is to large. Also, in my WinXp PC, Nero couldn't burn the folder either.

I've checked the Sources folder in the DVD-ROM folder. It says that all the menu's (8 in total) are all 14,5 MB of size. Maybe that's why the project is to big for a dvd, maybe there is a way to reduce the menu size?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 23, 2008 at 4:01:18 pm

[Anne Muun] "I've checked the DVD-ROM folder, which is 8,90 GB. (If that is what you meant) The folders contains Chache and Sources folders..."

The DVD-ROM folder shouldn't have *anything* in it. Please double check to make sure that you are checking the proper section of the Build panel and that the folder you found is not actually the Encore project folder.

Once you have verified that the DVD-ROM folder that is listed as 8.9 GB is *NOT* the Encore project folder, go ahead and delete it. The disc should burn fine at that point.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 23, 2008 at 4:09:02 pm

I think it's the Encore project folder, since it has the transcodec MPG's and the menu's.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand where I can find the DVD-Rom folder you mentioned.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 23, 2008 at 5:22:07 pm

I've got a screenshot of what your Build panel should look like if you have no DVD-ROM content.

I can post a link here, or I can email it to you.

Contact me via email if you want it mailed to you. My Cow profile has a link to my web site and at the bottom of the home page is a valid email address.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 23, 2008 at 6:29:52 pm

Anne,

Apparently that web mail account is having issues at the moment. If you tried to send me a message using the address on the web site, please try again, this time substituting "jeff" for "info".

Thanks,

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 26, 2008 at 12:52:38 pm

What is the best program to convert AAC audio to AC3?
Encore does open the AAC file but it's 10 minutes, while it is supposed to be 23 minutes.

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 26, 2008 at 6:17:01 pm

Jeff, thanks for the JPEG of the Build Panel.
I've just burned my project on dvd.

Got another (it just won't stop!) problem though,
a problem I've had before.
Episode 4 (few days ago is was episode 2) won't play.
It does play on my laptop but not on the three dvd-players.

It did not make any mistakes in linking the menu's
and Encore didn't give an error message before burning.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 26, 2008 at 7:51:38 pm

When you say it "won't play", do you mean that nothing happens when you press Enter on the player's remote while the button for episode 4 is highlighted?

If so, then what happens after that?

Also, since it works in the software DVD player, I need to know how you are selecting the episode on computer. Do you click on the button with your mouse? If so, please try using the software DVD player's buttons to navigate to the episode 4 button and then activate the button. What happens then?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 28, 2008 at 7:39:40 am

When I press the Enter button, the DVD-player strats searching for the episode. I keep seeing the menu. After a few minutes the DVD-player thinks it's hopeless and shuts the DVD down and goes to the normal channels.

On my laptop, I choose the episode by clicking on it. Actually the steps are the same as trying it on the DVD-player.

But I've tried to burn the dvd again, and it fixed the problem of the episode not playing. Instead the episode has several parts where it's choppy.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 28, 2008 at 11:04:02 am

This sounds like bad media, a too-high bit rate or a too-high burn speed.

Try a different brand of blank media (Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are best) and limit your burn speed to only half of the rated speed of your burner or media, whichever is lowest.

What is the bit rate of your transcoded mpeg video files?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Aug 31, 2008 at 12:15:50 pm

I tried burning 2x speed, but that didn't make a difference.

How can I see the bitrate?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 31, 2008 at 1:08:53 pm

There are 2 free tools you can use:

Bitrate Viewer

MPEG Streamclip

Don't worry about the Quicktiome playback module for MPEG Streamclip, you can find out the bit rate info without it.

Bitrate Viewer is usually excellent, but sometimes it gives odd results. It's a good idea to run your clips through both programs and examine the results. It takes MPEG Streamclip a long time to examine your file (about 10 - 15 minutes for a 2-hour clip). Bitrate Viewer takes about 5 minutes for a 2-hour clip.

Any Peak bitrate over 9 Mbps in Bitrate Viewer is cause for concern. I would be worried about anything over 8 Mbps reported by MPEG Streamclip.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Sep 28, 2008 at 8:49:02 am

The Bitrate was (under 'Peak') 12119.

What can I do to fix it so I can finally burn the dvd in good quality?

Return to posts index

Anne Muun
on Oct 28, 2008 at 9:51:59 am

Can someone please help me?!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]