FORUMS: list search recent posts

BluRay failings in Encore CS3. Thoughts?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
BluRay failings in Encore CS3. Thoughts?
on Aug 7, 2008 at 3:05:23 pm

Per Joe's suggestion, here is everything that has transpired in our question for authoring BluRay discs via Encore CS3 in a nutshell.

All the features available for authoring a DVD in Encore do not work in BluRay when running Encore CS3 on a Mac. As someone who has been trying to create BluRay discs with basic features in Encore for over a year I thought I would inform the rest of the folks considering Encore for BluRay that there are many, many issues with BluRay and Encore.

We have attempted to work directly with Nathan Gentner and the Adobe Encore Team behind the scenes but so far, no updates have been released that can solve these very simple Menu and Button Routing issues to match the claims of Adobe's marketing. We have sent our projects to them and even asked them to send us a BD-R sample of everything working correctly, but have not received anything to date.

To recap the complexity of our primary project:

Main Menu: Play Feature button, Chapter Selection button, Sneak Peak button with a motion video loop of 40 seconds for the backdrop. (we also tried this with a static backdrop.

Chapter Selection: Chapters 1 - 9 (or up to 11 on one of the discs)

The DVD's work perfectly.

The BluRay Simulation mode works perfectly.

On the BluRay discs, the Chapter Selection Menu never defaults to Button 1, it always defaults to Button 2 or the last Button. If you use the Chapter Selection to watch a Chapter and then hit "Menu", you go back to the Main Menu, instead of "Last Menu" as it's supposed to. That is when it actually creates the ISO file.

Approx. 98% of the time we try to create the ISO files in Encore, we get the infamous "Fatal Error" messages and the ISO is never created. We started working on these BluRay discs some time in February or March. As of last week we were able to actually create ISO files for three of the five titles. This was after sending projects and samples and everything Adobe requested to solve the issue. They never did provide a solution for us.

We went back and re-created the primary project using a Static Menu and a simple "Play" button, all 5 titles were created in two days. In fact all of our successful BluRay discs have been created using a static menu and a simple "Play" button.

This is all contrary to Adobe's marketing on their website.

From Adobe's site:
"Use the same Encore interface and features to author and deliver commercial-quality titles on both standard-definition DVD and high-definition Blu-ray Disc."

This claim is not correct in our experience. You cannot use the same features on a BluRay project as you can on a DVD project.

From Adobe's website:
Or author a high-definition Blu-ray Disc project and, with one click, create a finished standard-definition DVD project.

Actually this creates a sub-par DVD when it actually works. Usually this crashes on our system when we try this. And if you create a DVD project first and then try to change it to a BluRay project, that will crash everything too.

From Adobe's website:
The unmatched integration between Encore and Adobe Photoshop®, After Effects®, and Adobe Premiere Pro software enables you to create Blu-ray discs more efficiently.

As long as you create a static menu with a simple "Play" button, this statement is absolutely true.

From Adobe's website:
Instead of doing manual scripting, visually drag and drop assets to create your DVD and Blu-ray Disc navigation with the visual flowchart. Design full-featured interfaces by using robust text tools, high-definition royalty-free menu templates and art, and automated menu generation.

Absolutely false if you intend to actually burn a BluRay disc from our experience. You cannot create any sort of full featured interface in BluRay and then burn it to disc. You absolutely CAN create a full-featured interface if you stay in Encore and run in Disc Simulation Mode.

We have about a 10% success rate of Encore actually being able to burn directly to BluRay disc, so we create ISO files instead and burn them using Toast.

So my questions to all of you dabbling in BluRay Authoring are:

Are you creating multiple menu projects?

If so, how many menus and how many buttons per menu?

Are they routing correctly when you burn to disc?

Are you able to burn directly to BluRay disc successfully directly from Encore consistently?

Are you able to successfully create BluRay ISO files?

Are they actually burning to disc correctly and playing back in the BluRay player correctly?

If so, are you running Windows or Mac?

I would love to hear BluRay success stories and what types of projects / menus you're creating.

We have tried working not only with Tech Support but directly with Adobe Encore's product manager and the engineering team with no solutions to our issues to date. We're looking at other BluRay authoring options in the meantime, but if you guys have any thoughts

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: BluRay failings in Encore CS3. Thoughts?
on Aug 7, 2008 at 8:34:41 pm

Walter,

I've done some multiple menu discs but I've always created a disc image from Encore and burned in toast. And they work, but they are not as complex as you describe. (I'm on a Mac by the way).

Encore sometimes will crash on quit or if you launch Encore and select a previous project from the start up menu. Subsequent relaunch and it works fine.

I've had problems with motion menus. They plain don't work as any text overlayed as a button, the highlighting is dreadfully off, by almost the size of the font.

It's not ready for prime time. I feel your pain and stick to DVDSP fro SD DVDs.

Warren

Warren Eig

O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://babyboompictures.com/AFX_Movie2.html

http://babyboompictures.com/KnitWits_Movie.html

EDITING REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/Editing_Reel.html

TITLE DESIGN: http://www.babyboompictures.com/Titles_Reel.html

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Aug 7, 2008 at 8:47:17 pm

Warren, for the motion menu issue you might want to try unchecking "Create Text Subpicture" in the Button properties, and instead create the subpicture using Object > Create Subpicture.

It's a workaround, but it should work.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 7, 2008 at 8:48:03 pm

[Warren Eig] "I've had problems with motion menus. They plain don't work as any text overlayed as a button, the highlighting is dreadfully off, by almost the size of the font. "

Actually, motion menus we got working no problem, even the highlighting. We create the text overlays in photoshop, the video in Compressor and it all matches up fine. It's just getting the very basic menu items to work.

I even tried making a single menu with the chapters and Play Feature on the same menu. "Fatal Error" each time.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

steve mitchell
on Aug 10, 2008 at 2:14:44 pm

Man, this just blows! These are the very issues I'm having with the buttons. And you're telling me Adobe has been working on this for a while? I bought this software based on what a big-time vendor recommended to me that "this is the only recommended way to author on Blu-Ray on a Mac". Now both Adobe and the vendor look like fools.

I suppose I could switch my activation to a PC. So along those lines, theoretically how could I edit in Final Cut and burn using Encore on a PC? Would it be as simple as making a QT reference movie in FCP and dropping that into Encore?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 10, 2008 at 3:36:51 pm

[steve mitchell] "Man, this just blows! These are the very issues I'm having with the buttons. And you're telling me Adobe has been working on this for a while?"

Well, in a way this is a nice thing to hear. From what I was told on another thread, there are a lot of people authoring BluRay with Encore, but nobody has come forward with any issues. So I figured I must be the only lucky one.

[steve mitchell] "I suppose I could switch my activation to a PC."

You mean Encore? I would not do that quite honestly. Nothing shows me that this is a Mac issue, but an application issue. If you're going to go PC, look at NetBlender DoStudio. $250 per month, not a bad deal and you can create commercially replicateable discs too. I just don't want to invest in a PC right now and am looking at some new options coming down the pipeline that hopefully will let us stay on the Mac side.

[steve mitchell] "So along those lines, theoretically how could I edit in Final Cut and burn using Encore on a PC? Would it be as simple as making a QT reference movie in FCP and dropping that into Encore? "

Yeah this would work, especially since we use Compressor to make the files before we get to Encore. I never let Encore make the files as Compressor does a much better job.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

steve mitchell
on Aug 10, 2008 at 3:49:10 pm

Walter, thanks for the quick response. On the Adope forum (where this a thread about this issue) it seems to point to a problem with Leopard. I have a spare PC and just might switch activation just to try and see if it works.

steve

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 10, 2008 at 7:34:07 pm

[steve mitchell] "On the Adope forum (where this a thread about this issue) it seems to point to a problem with Leopard. "

Nobody has said anything to us about this issue so that's news to me.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

steve mitchell
on Aug 10, 2008 at 7:59:39 pm

Walter, I'm assuming you mean mean nobody from Adobe has said anything to you about it being an issue with Leopard? Anyway, I'm in the process of downloading Adobe PP and Encore to my PC and activating it, then trying to make the same Blu Ray project on a PC and we will see what happens. Give me a couple of hours.

Return to posts index

steve mitchell
on Aug 10, 2008 at 10:00:26 pm

Update: Silly me. What was i thinking that it would be as easy as downloading from the web, de-activating the program on my Mac, and using the same serial number to activate on a PC? Of course this is only what I was told by Adobe "customer service" twice today! Anyway, Encore is not downloadable. They have to send new install discs.

God help the technical support person I get on the phone tomorrow.

Dontcha just love the American names they give the 'customer service" people in India? Today I got Sean! And Martin. Yeah. Right.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 11, 2008 at 2:23:50 am

[steve mitchell] "Dontcha just love the American names they give the 'customer service" people in India? Today I got Sean! And Martin. Yeah. Right. "

Not even going to touch that, all I'll say is I'm glad Apple move their tech support calls back to Canada.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

steve mitchell
on Aug 11, 2008 at 5:55:24 pm

Ok talked with tech support today and they are aware of the problem and engineers are working on it. I asked if there were any known issues with Encore on a PC and she replied "no", so we will see when my install discs arrive.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 11, 2008 at 7:08:51 pm

[steve mitchell] "Ok talked with tech support today and they are aware of the problem and engineers are working on it."

Yeah, they've been working on it for a LONG time with no updates in sight. Hopefully your PC version will work better, but if I'm going to invest in a PC, then I'm going with NetBlender for the time being.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Aug 12, 2008 at 1:50:27 am

Walter,
I have done a few BluRay disks using a Windows system and for what it's worth, I'll put in my answers.
So my questions to all of you dabbling in BluRay Authoring are:

I just use two menus (Play all and Scenes) and then a Scenes menu.

So far I've just used menus from the library (one had six buttons). There is at least one HD menu in the Library that has a motion background, which worked for me.

THe buttons don't work when I use chapters, so I have to use separate timelines for each "scene". Also, the secondary menu always comes up with the second button selected. However, the first or primary menu seems to have the default or first button selected appropriately.

Are you able to burn directly to BluRay disc successfully directly from Encore consistently?
I have always used Encore to make a folder and then burned with ImgBurn even with SD, so I've done the same with the BluRay. I have just burned the folder to BD-RE media, but it plays on my PS3 and one other BluRay Player (Sony ) with updated firmware.

Actually, I've created .iso or image files with Encore, and burned them to a regular DVD with ImgBurn and they play on the Sony player, but not PS3.

Are they actually burning to disc correctly and playing back in the BluRay player correctly?
The disks I've made have played ok on the Sony Player as I mentioned. I had to edit the file to make the BluRay on regular DVD play on my PS3.

If so, are you running Windows or Mac? Windows.

I've included a couple of threads which sort of summarizes the experience of others burning BluRay material to regular DVD's which may be of interest.
http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29827

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29665

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/145/863549
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 12, 2008 at 12:31:49 pm

John, thanks for all the info!

[John Rich] "Are they routing correctly when you burn to disc?
THe buttons don't work when I use chapters, so I have to use separate timelines for each "scene".

Ok, so are you creating timelines because the buttons won't route correctly to the correct chapters in a single timeline? That is one thing that actually works here. What does not work here is going back to the Chapter Menu when you hit "Menu" on the remote, it always defaults to the Main Menu no matter what you do.

[John Rich] "Also, the secondary menu always comes up with the second button selected. However, the first or primary menu seems to have the default or first button selected appropriately. "

Exactly the same situation here, only we use a Photoshop menu overlayed on a Motion background following the exact instructions from Nathan Gentner. Still doesn't work correctly.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Aug 12, 2008 at 2:14:56 pm

"Ok, so are you creating timelines because the buttons won't route correctly to the correct chapters in a single timeline? That is one thing that actually works here. What does not work here is going back to the Chapter Menu when you hit "Menu" on the remote, it always defaults to the Main Menu no matter what you do."

When I use the chapter points to hook up to buttons (even if I use Jeff Bellune's idea of putting each chapter in it's own chapter playlist with no overrides), even if the menu seems to preview ok, when I have burned it, the menu navigation works ok, but when I "hit" the button, nothing happens ie no footage plays.

I don't use enough menus to be able to comment on the Menu on the remote problem.
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Aug 22, 2008 at 10:42:12 am

Walter

Here's a quick rundown of my first Blu-Ray build. Like others here, I would guess, I am a FCP user who bought Premiere Pro just for Encore. I read it was the only professional authoring solution for Mac available.

I have built a simple disc with 3 menus. Start, Chapters, Special Features. Start has 3 buttons, Chapters 8, Special features 5.

I built the whole disc as blu-ray, simulated it and checked it. I was impressed by the ease of building and testing in Encore. Although it lacks the pizzaz of DVD-SP, it does the basics well IMHO.

Having build an HD project, I let Encore build me a SD DVD of it. I expected some problems, as the disc was built as 23.98p from a 24p master and then sent to DVD as 29.97.

Apart from the encodes taking ages (overnight and then some for 1.5 hrs footage) I was impressed that the disc worked in SD first time. The picture quality was excellent. The Dolby surround track was in place. All was well in the world.

Then I tried to burn the Blu Ray. That was 2 days ago. I'm still here.

The problem for me can be summarised as follows: My buttons do not appear. They are the sort of buttons that have 'no' unselected state. In other words, you only see them when they are selected. I needed to do this, as I built motion backgrounds for the menus in motion, and the text for the buttons animates on - so the buttons cannot be visible until selection is possible at the loop point.

I think most of the navigation is working, although with invisible buttons (which - BY THE WAY - aren't invisible in the simulator) it's pretty hard to tell. The video is all there and looks fine. I think I have the same issues others have reported with the disk not starting menus on the right button - but I can't be sure.

I should say at this point that after one failure attempting to burn straight to disc, I now output an ISO and burn in toast. This has not failed once in all my attempts to burn an ISO to my internal Pioneer BD-202 drive, which appeared plug-and-play in OSX when I connected it to the internal SATA ports.

I have built a test menu from my main project and inserted various stock buttons from Encore. About half of them work properly when burnt. When I tried to modify one so I could use it in place of my own buttons it again failed to appear where required.

Even more frustratingly, everytime I try to fix the buttons and re-build the ISO, Encore starts re-encoding ALL the video in the project, even though it shows up as rendered in the project window. This means each test takes hours to complete. I am running out of hours.

As of now, I am frazzled, fed up and out of time to deliver. I can accept that I may have made some error in my build (although I have tried unaltered stock buttons, and many do not work in Blu-Ray) I cannot accept that it works IN THE SIMULATOR AND NOT ON THE DISK.

I had my client around yesterday and I had to show him the problems. He pointed out that as a games developer, they had FREE software at their office for making Blu-Rays on PC that did all this - making menus etc. with no problems. I may have to give him the videos as QTs and let them build it. Frankly, that makes me feel sick.

As soon as I have found ANY solution to this build, I will be attempting to return Encore for a full refund. I'm sure it will not be an easy process. But here's the truth of it: For a simple Blu-Ray disk, Encore DOES NOT WORK as it should - because what it shows me in the simulator and what it burns to disk are two different things. End of story.

Adobe have lost my custom long term over this - it's inexcusable.

More to follow.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Aug 22, 2008 at 11:13:43 am

The post above should state the following:

I run an 8-Core 2008 Mac Pro running Leopard 10.5.4 - 8 Gb Ram.

Apologies. I'm sure the Leopard part is important.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 22, 2008 at 11:57:54 am

Correct. The Leopard part triggers the bug. It should (will?) burn with no issues under Tiger.

This has been discussed both here and on the Adobe forums.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Aug 22, 2008 at 12:38:06 pm

Jeff

I'm not concerned with the burn bug. I have no issue creating ISOs in Encore and burning them in Toast. Apple's poor Blu-Ray support is not Adobe's fault.

The point here is that irrespective of my own failing with the software, what I see in the simulator and what I see after a very lengthy build process are not the same.

That's faulty software - plain and simple.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 22, 2008 at 12:41:33 pm

[Ben Holmes] "what I see in the simulator and what I see after a very lengthy build process are not the same."

Unless I misunderstand you (always possible), that *is* the bug. Highlights show up on discs burned in Tiger; they do not show up on discs burned in Leopard.

I don't know if every disc burned in Leopard will have this issue every time, but I do know that you are not alone.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 22, 2008 at 11:57:08 am

[Ben Holmes] "hen I tried to burn the Blu Ray. That was 2 days ago. I'm still here. "

Well Ben, at least it's just two days for you, it's been 12 months for us.

[Ben Holmes] "I cannot accept that it works IN THE SIMULATOR AND NOT ON THE DISK. "

This is absolutely precisely how Encore works and apparently how Adobe tests their software too because they keep "fixing" our problems and the fixes only work in the simulator.

[Ben Holmes] "As soon as I have found ANY solution to this build, I will be attempting to return Encore for a full refund. I'm sure it will not be an easy process. But here's the truth of it: For a simple Blu-Ray disk, Encore DOES NOT WORK as it should - because what it shows me in the simulator and what it burns to disk are two different things. End of story. "

I've been pondering a class-action lawsuit as we figure Encore has cost us in the neighborhood of $25,000 of lost time and wages paid out to contractors to work on Encore projects and try to make a BluRay disc that actually works.

But according to Nathan Gentner, the guy that runs this software at Adobe, all works perfectly on their end.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Aug 22, 2008 at 12:40:39 pm

Walter

I know you're a cautious upgrader - what versions of OSX etc. are you running Encore on?

I propose we put some (small as possible!) broken Encore projects up on the Cow for people to test. That would end this once and for all, surely.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 22, 2008 at 3:32:02 pm

[Ben Holmes] "I know you're a cautious upgrader - what versions of OSX etc. are you running Encore on? "

We've been running it for the last 12 months on every version of OSX that has been available during that time. As of right now we're up-to-date current on OSX, QT and Encore.

[Ben Holmes] "I propose we put some (small as possible!) broken Encore projects up on the Cow for people to test. That would end this once and for all, surely. "

No can do publicly. All our material is copyrighted. I have shared entire projects with the Adobe Encore team already for the better part of the past 12 months already. I have also shared projects with folks I cannot discuss publicly.

Also, the big issue we run in to (see my other thread) is that anytime we move a project from one Intel Mac to another, it tells us the original project was created in Windows and cannot be opened. Adobe even got that error when we sent our first few projects up there. They have not addressed that issue yet either and it has nothing to do with BluRay, it's Encore.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Bob Ramage
on Sep 1, 2008 at 5:30:23 pm

I realize I'm coming late to this discussion, but I thought I would put in my two cents worth. I've been using Encore for Blu-ray authoring since March, on both Mac and Windows.

Yes, although so far I've stuck to using the menu templates that came with Encore with only small modifications.

Typically, I use about three menus with an average of six buttons each.

No. The routing is usable, but not what I had designed.

Yes. 100% success rate using Sony BWU-200S in an external enclosure with USB connection to Mac Pro. I always test first with BD-RE disc.

I haven't tried this as I've always burned directly to disc.

I've completed four blu-ray projects. All of the discs have played successfully in a PS3, but have had menu issues, particularly on the Mac side. In some of the menus, the button highlights are invisible, even when using unaltered Encore templates. The strange thing is, the exact same template works perfectly when authored in Windows. I haven't been able to find the common denominator in the Mac, as sometimes certain highlights will work fine while others in the same menu (albeit with a different color) are invisible. Also, as others have noted, the incorrect menu default button is sometimes selected and pressing the menu button when playing usually takes you to the wrong menu.

I use both Windows and Mac versions on a Mac Pro (Windows XP via boot camp). Encore's Blu-ray authoring works better on the Windows side, with menus generally behaving as they are supposed to.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 1, 2008 at 6:50:45 pm

Appreciate the input Bob. If you ever try creating a three menu project using Photoshop created menus on the Mac, let me know what happens. We never used any templates with Encore, we always create custom menus.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Feb 4, 2009 at 5:29:30 am

I just started trying to build Blu-ray discs using Adobe Encore CS3 a week ago and have been having nothing but problems.

Hardly, I'm just trying to build a blu-ray where both the audio and video stay in sync.

none

none

yes but I'm having sync issues

I was getting errors only at first until I downloaded a patch

No

Windows xp on a Matrox Axio LE system

Have you guys found any more reliable authoring software capable of burning DVDs and Blu-rays yet? I'm considering leaving Encore CS3 behind.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 4, 2009 at 11:31:09 am

[Joe Bandy] "Have you guys found any more reliable authoring software capable of burning DVDs and Blu-rays yet? I'm considering leaving Encore CS3 behind."

DoStudio from NetBlender. Supposedly CS4 has fixed some issues. We have it now as we purchased the entire Production Premium package, but we do not use Encore from the package at this time. Don't really have much desire to quite honestly.

DoStudio has a learning curve, but it is being used for professional titles from the major studios, so it's quite capable. The other nice thing is you can have commercial discs created from your projects.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]