FORUMS: list search recent posts

blu ray subtitles

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Sullivan
blu ray subtitles
on Aug 6, 2008 at 2:18:06 pm

The Encore book says subtitles are not supported on Blu-Ray. Does anyone know how to get subtitles onto a blu-ray disc?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: blu ray subtitles
on Aug 6, 2008 at 11:30:03 pm

find someone who has scenarist or Blu it. Encore is only good for simple play only Blu rays.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Aug 6, 2008 at 11:38:38 pm

Encore CS3 doesn't offer subtitles for Blu-ray disc.

You may want to file a feature request at Adobe's web site - who knows, it may be available in a future version of Encore.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 7, 2008 at 12:02:04 am

[Joe Bowden] "You may want to file a feature request at Adobe's web site - who knows, it may be available in a future version of Encore."

Can I put in a feature request for Menus to work in BluRay too?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 7, 2008 at 12:10:35 am

[walter biscardi] "Can I put in a feature request for Menus to work in BluRay too?"

You can do anything you want, Walter.

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Aug 7, 2008 at 12:20:50 am

Walter - That sounds more like a bug report than a feature request.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 7, 2008 at 12:46:10 am

[Joe Bowden] "Walter - That sounds more like a bug report than a feature request."

Oh it's WAY BEYOND a bug report. I tried working directly with Nathan Gentner, the guy who's quote is proudly displayed on the Encore page by the way, and the Adobe Encore team to address this issue since early May. To date there is absolutely no solution to get a full Main Menu and Chapter Menu to work in BluRay on Encore. Period.

If all you require on a BluRay disc is a "Play" Button on a static menu, then Encore is for you.

If you require a Main Menu with, let's say 3 buttons and a Chapter Selection Menu with let's say 9 chapters, forget about it. You will crash and burn.

Oh and don't try to move your BluRay project from one Mac Pro to another Mac Pro. Approx. 90% of the time the project either will not open or it will tell you that the project cannot be opened because it was created in Windows.

We've gotten very burned by Adobe's BluRay failure and the fact that Adobe has had zero answers for extremely simple navigation issues for over three months, well honestly for 9 months if you go back to our original purchase of the software in November, is definitely disappointing. With all of the failings and bugs associated with our Apple software, I can say we have never disappointed a client with any of those products. To say our client is disappointed with his end BluRay products is an understatement. His DVD's came out perfect in Encore, the BluRays are disappointing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 7, 2008 at 12:50:44 am

[walter biscardi] "To say our client is disappointed with his end BluRay products is an understatement. His DVD's came out perfect in Encore, the BluRays are disappointing."

That speaks volumes. And none of it has anything to do with Encore or the discs' author.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Aug 7, 2008 at 12:57:20 am

Walter, I can appreciate that you probably just wanted to vent here, but I think your comments would be best directed toward Adobe Support and the Encore Product Manager - these are the avenues that may be able to provide a solution for the problems you're seeing authoring to Blu-ray.

The original poster asked if it was possible to add subtitles to a Blu-ray disc. As I mentioned, Encore CS3 doesn't support subtitles for Blu-ray output. However, it's possible to have subtitles on Blu-ray, which is why I suggested the original poster to file a feature request.

Regards,
Joe

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 7, 2008 at 1:48:39 am

[Joe Bowden] "Walter, I can appreciate that you probably just wanted to vent here, but I think your comments would be best directed toward Adobe Support and the Encore Product Manager - these are the avenues that may be able to provide a solution for the problems you're seeing authoring to Blu-ray. "

Hi Joe, I just went back and looked at my old emails. July 27, 2007 was my first communication with Adobe regarding errors with BluRay. This communication was directly with Nathan Gentner. I have been communicating directly with Adobe Tech Support and the Encore Product Manager. We have gotten nowhere. The only suggestions we have gotten from them works only in Simulation Mode within Adobe. Everything falls apart when we actually try to create an ISO file.

Heck I thought we started with BluRay in November and it turns out it was over a year ago. So I have been working directly with Adobe off these forums for a very long time.

The general public that is about to spend money on this product to "Come for the BluRay, Stay for the Flash" has to understand that the BluRay capabilities of this product are great exaggerated on the Adobe website.

"Use the same Encore interface and features to author and deliver commercial-quality titles on both standard-definition DVD and high-definition Blu-ray Disc."

This claim is not correct. You cannot use the same features on a BluRay project as you can on a DVD project.

. Or author a high-definition Blu-ray Disc project and, with one click, create a finished standard-definition DVD project.

Actually this creates a sub-par DVD when it actually works. Usually this crashes on our system when we try this. And if you create a DVD project first and then try to change it to a BluRay project, that will crash everything too.

The unmatched integration between Encore and Adobe Photoshop®, After Effects®, and Adobe Premiere Pro software enables you to create Blu-ray discs more efficiently.

As long as you create a static menu with a simple "Play" button, this statement is absolutely true.

Instead of doing manual scripting, visually drag and drop assets to create your DVD and Blu-ray Disc navigation with the visual flowchart. Design full-featured interfaces by using robust text tools, high-definition royalty-free menu templates and art, and automated menu generation.

Absolutely false if you intend to actually burn a BluRay disc. You cannot create any sort of full featured interface in BluRay and then burn it to disc. You absolutely CAN create a full-featured interface if you stay in Encore and run in Disc Simulation Mode.

We have about a 10% success rate of Encore actually being able to burn directly to BluRay disc, so we create ISO files instead and burn them using Toast.

So that's my reasoning for posting here. We have tried to work with the Encore team, we have gotten nowhere, the product does not work in BluRay as advertised, folks need to know. As far as I know, we have more experience with Encore and BluRay than pretty much anyone else in the country. We've created about 60 BluRay discs now. "Play" feature buttons only.

The shame of it that I actually prefer Encore to DVD Studio Pro and would much prefer that Encore actually work as promised when it comes to BluRay.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Aug 7, 2008 at 2:07:14 am

Walter, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but I must repeat that if you want to get anywhere with the problems you seem to be having with Encore CS3, then you must work through it with Adobe Support and the Encore team.

If you'd rather pick apart marketing verbiage line-by-line or make overly-broad claims, then that's your prerogative. However, I would appreciate it if you try to restrain the rhetoric when I or others attempt to assist others on this forum, or at least stay on topic. That's common courtesy.

Thanks,
Joe

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 7, 2008 at 3:12:25 am

[Joe Bowden] "Walter, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but I must repeat that if you want to get anywhere with the problems you seem to be having with Encore CS3, then you must work through it with Adobe Support and the Encore team. "

We have been, that's my point. We have sent entire project to the Encore team on BD-RE discs. As I noted earlier, it has been since July 2007. The last communication we had from Nathan was July 13th with a solution that did not work.

On July 23rd I requested that Nathan send me a burned BD-R disc with one of our projects on it that is fully functional. We have received no response and no BluRay disc from Adobe. I take that as an answer.

[Joe Bowden] "or at least stay on topic. "

Subtitles don't work in BluRay in Encore. There is very little in Encore that DOES work in BluRay. As long as the topic has anything to do with BluRay and Encore the only answer "Play Button on a Static Menu."

[Joe Bowden] "That's common courtesy. "

Common courtesy is informing someone who is about to put down about $1,000 or more to obtain Premiere with Encore that many of the features of Encore do not work when authoring a BluRay disc. I have tried to work with Adobe behind the scenes.

You will note that I have not even been on this forum for quite some time despite the fact that we have had issues with BluRay since July 2007. I've kept to my blog and direct communication via Adobe prior to that. I believe it is common courtesy to the let the Encore community know that if they are venturing in to BluRay they will not get the same level of performance or quality from Encore as they get when authoring a DVD disc.

I'm just curious Joe, are your BluRay discs coming out correctly? If so I would love to hear what you're doing to make them work. I'm trying to share our experience that if you are putting your faith in Adobe to take your business to the next level with BluRay authoring, be prepared. You may very well need to go elsewhere.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Aug 7, 2008 at 3:36:47 am

Walter, it's now obvious to me and anyone reading this thread that you no understanding of the meaning of common courtesy.

There's nothing further to discuss.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 7, 2008 at 11:40:57 am

[Joe Bowden] "Walter, it's now obvious to me and anyone reading this thread that you no understanding of the meaning of common courtesy. "

With all due respect Joe, as a member and forum leader on the Cow since 2001, I do understand the meaning of common courtesy. I also understand that information is shared on these forums can go off the topic of a thread, happens all the time in the Final Cut Pro, AJA Kona, Apple Motion, Business & Marketing, Apple Color Forums.

As I have already said, I really want Encore to work, but right now, as one of the very few people that I know of who is actually authoring BluRay discs using the product, I'm one of the few who can actually speak from experience about what does and does not work in that mode. Why the product has all the problems in BluRay has not been made clear to us and it honestly makes no sense because it works so well in DVD mode.

Joe, I'm assuming you don't have a BluRay burner yet. If you want to work on some tests with us, I'll be glad to work with you. I'll even send you our compression settings in Compressor for the 1080i files. You can author a BluRay project, send us the ISO and we'll burn it to a BD-RE and see what happens. Maybe you'll be able to figure out why the Button Routing, Menu Routing and such go to heck when we switch to BluRay mode.

What we really need are more people who already own Encore working with BluRay authoring so maybe we can find out what causes the software to blow up when we go to BluRay mode. We can't figure out anything beyond what we've tested.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 7, 2008 at 12:05:49 pm

[walter biscardi] "I'm one of the few who can actually speak from experience about what does and does not work in that mode"

[walter biscardi] "Joe, I'm assuming you don't have a BluRay burner yet."

Both of those would be incorrect assumptions.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 7, 2008 at 12:32:33 pm

[Jeff Bellune] "Both of those would be incorrect assumptions. "

Great! So have you been authoring BluRay discs with multiple menus? Do they work?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Aug 7, 2008 at 2:29:59 pm

I beg your pardon Walter, but if you understood common courtesy then you would not have so thoroughly hijacked this thread. Hijacking a thread by going off-topic works against the idea of orderly, sequential presentation of information on a forum, and in doing so ultimately detracts from the value of the thread to future searchers of such information.

The original poster asked if it was possible to add subtitles to an Encore CS3 project exported to Blu-ray. It is not possible, because that is not a feature that Encore CS3 offers, not because it's a feature that doesn't work. That is the correct and final answer to this particular question. The remainder of my original reply was a suggestion given in good faith to enter a feature request for the desired functionality.

All of your subsequent contributions to this thread, however legitimate or frustrating your problems may be (and I do not know if the former are bugs, but can clearly see the latter is frustrating for you), does not address the original question that was posted.

Two final points, and one suggestion for you:

1. If there are bugs in the program, only Adobe can fix them.

2. Regarding your efforts in pursuing point 1, I and others on this forum cannot speak to your communication problems with Adobe regarding your issues. That is an issue between you and those you have communicated with.

3. If you need help on this forum with issues you are having with Encore, a single post per-problem works best as it helps keep the information in a discrete and orderly format.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 7, 2008 at 2:48:38 pm

[Joe Bowden] "I beg your pardon Walter, but if you understood common courtesy then you would not have so thoroughly hijacked this thread. Hijacking a thread by going off-topic works against the idea of orderly, sequential presentation of information on a forum, and in doing so ultimately detracts from the value of the thread to future searchers of such information. "

Sorry to offend Joe, but if you are around the Cow long enough, this sort of thing happens all the time in the Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Color, Motion, Business & Marketing Forums.

I'll start a new thread and move all my information to that one so we can discuss further.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Aug 7, 2008 at 3:04:49 pm

It doesn't usually happen in this forum, Walter.

Thanks for your understanding.

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Aug 7, 2008 at 1:06:33 am

Walter I am sorry to bother you but as someone who is just starting to poke at the Blu-Ray bear you comments and posts have me confused.

When you blogged about the three documentaries shown at the Carter Center you rconclusion was "BluRay self-publishing is here and it works".

Now here you are lamenting how much the final product has disappointed your customers. Is it possible you might expand on exactly where you sit at this moment in regards to Encore or whether we should be looking for other software solutions.

Thanks;

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 7, 2008 at 1:28:25 am

[Dan Asselin] "When you blogged about the three documentaries shown at the Carter Center you rconclusion was "BluRay self-publishing is here and it works".

Now here you are lamenting how much the final product has disappointed your customers. Is it possible you might expand on exactly where you sit at this moment in regards to Encore or whether we should be looking for other software solutions. "

It works with a "Play" only button, this is what we're using for the Carter Center documentaries. There is a static image for the Menu and the only button on there is "Play Feature."

For a series of 5 retail BluRay discs for a series on regional PBS stations, we created 5 DVD's and 5 BluRay discs in Encore. They both were supposed to have the identical menu structure.

Main Menu: Play Feature, Chapter Selection, Sneak Peak.

Chapter Selection: Chapters 1 - 9 (or up to 11 on one of the discs)

The DVD's work perfectly.

On the BluRay discs, the Chapter Selection Menu never defaulted to Button 1, it always defaulted to Button 2 or the last Button. If you use the Chapter Selection to watch a Chapter and then hit "Menu", you go back to the Main Menu, instead of "Last Menu" as it's supposed to. That is when it actually creates the ISO file.

Approx. 98% of the time we try to create the ISO files in Encore, we get the infamous "Fatal Error" messages and the ISO is never created. We started working on these BluRay discs some time in February or March. As of last week we were able to actually create ISO files for three of the five titles. This was after sending projects and samples and everything Adobe requested to solve the issue. They never did.

So we had to quickly re-create the entire series of BluRay discs with a static graphic for a menu with a "Play Feature" button only. I created all 5 titles in two days doing this procedure.

So BluRay self publishing is here in the most simple form right now. There are new products coming and that will make our lives a lot better. If you need something right now to create a more complex BluRay disc than a "Play Feature" button, then you need to look elsewhere than Encore.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Aug 8, 2008 at 4:04:27 pm

Thank you Walter. And by the way I for one have found your input here invaluable and don't at all mind you going "off-topic" as has been said to you. (innacurately I feel)

The original question was answered immediately so I don't see a problem.

Thanks , once again, for your input and your prompt reply to my request for clarification.

By the way the 2 software options I am looking at are DVDit ProHD and
possibly even (omg)Pinnacle Studio Plus. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Dan

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 8, 2008 at 4:16:46 pm

[Dan Asselin] "Thank you Walter. And by the way I for one have found your input here invaluable and don't at all mind you going "off-topic" as has been said to you. (innacurately I feel) "

My pleasure Dan. Going off-topic is normal in all the other Forums I participate in here on the Cow and you often do get a lot of knowledge that way. I didn't realize it was taboo in this forum and will avoid that in the future.

[Dan Asselin] "By the way the 2 software options I am looking at are DVDit ProHD and
possibly even (omg)Pinnacle Studio Plus. Does anyone have any experience with these? "

No, I was looking at NetBlender's DoStudio as they have a very attractive licensing option. $249 per month and it's just on a month to month basis. On the plus side, they claim to create a full commercial standard BluRay disc that can be sent to a commercial replicator if needed. On the downside, they are PC only so I would have to invest in a PC just for this along with the burner.

Right now I can't comment publicly on anything else.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Aug 8, 2008 at 7:57:21 pm

Why would anyone be offended by Walter's comments?

Discussion like this have more affect on software developers like Adobe then posting on their features requests forums. If 1 person here saved themselves a couple of grand by finding Encore to be an inadequate tool for a particular BD job...that would be a good thing right?

The fact is that Encore is an incomplete BD authoring tool.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Aug 8, 2008 at 11:34:35 pm

Eric, I assume that you're referring to me?

I wasn't offended by Walter's comments. I initially tried to answer his questions, but my answers were not satisfactory. As the thread rolled on, it was clear he had thoroughly hijacked this particular thread, which was originally a specific question that had a specific answer.

Once I explained my objection to the hijacking, Walter was gracious enough to start his own thread for his issues.

It's all in there, if you've read the entire thread.

Return to posts index

Andre Roquette
on Aug 21, 2008 at 9:22:27 am

Hi,

I'm working on a blu-ray project using adobe encore cs3 on windows xp. It has menus, chapters and all the features but the subtitles don't work as predicted. I read this post and i couldn't find an answer, only discutions. I tried using different formats but when i burn the dvd it can't get acess to the subtitles timelines.

Please, is there a way to resolve this problem??

If not, what dvd authoring program should i use that works?

respects
Andre roquette

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Aug 21, 2008 at 1:50:57 pm

Andre, in my first reply I stated that Encore CS3 does not support subtitles for Blu-ray. It's unfortunate that this information was obscured with subsequent off-topic discussions.

For Blu-ray authoring with subtitles, try Sonic Scenarist. There may be other authoring systems that support subtitles for Blu-ray, but I don't know of them.

Return to posts index

Andre Roquette
on Aug 21, 2008 at 2:25:55 pm

Thank you Joe,

I guess i'll have to re-start the project in this new software. i hope it doesn't have other limitations. This sucks...

thanks again
respects

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 21, 2008 at 2:42:37 pm

[Andre Roquette] "I guess i'll have to re-start the project in this new software. i hope it doesn't have other limitations. This sucks... "

Scenarist is the standard software used in most commercial blu-ray titles. Hopefully your budget allows for the purchase.

Yes, I'll agree with your statement "this sucks" as it applies to most everything about Encore and BluRay authoring.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 21, 2008 at 2:54:19 pm

Walter,

Do you have anything further to add to this discussion that is both useful and on-topic? If not, please refrain from continuing your earlier rants.

Thank you,
-Jeff

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 21, 2008 at 3:07:00 pm

[Jeff Bellune] "Do you have anything further to add to this discussion that is both useful and on-topic? If not, please refrain from continuing your earlier rants. "

Not really, ranting when I pay too much for software that doesn't work properly is one thing I do exceptionally well.

Staying on-topic is not always possible with threads on the Cow. If you look around at all the other forums you'll see that we go off-topic quite often on threads and it's these little sojourns into other areas of the discussion that very often lead to the best information for the end user.

Someone on this very thread told me that I was wrong to assume I'm one of the few people working in BluRay with Encore so I started a new thread in here to get thoughts on all the issues that are plaguing Encore and BluRay production. Not many takers. So this tells me there are not all that many people working in BluRay.

What I also discovered in working with Adobe to address my issues is that they appear to not actually be burning any BluRay discs in their testing. All of their fixes work perfectly in the simulation mode in Encore, but do not work when a disc is actually burned.

I've been on the Cow since 2001 and it's rare when a thread stays completely on topic. Sorry it disappoints you that I throw in some rants in here, but people have to understand that Encore does not deliver even remotely close to the claims on Adobe's website when it comes to BluRay authoring. If you want to spend the $1,500 or whatever it is to obtain Premiere/Encore and all you need is a Play button, then you're good to go. But people need to understand that if you want a really nice commercial looking BluRay, you'll need to go to something much more expensive. Adobe doesn't mention that on their website, so I'm doing it here.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Andre Roquette
on Aug 22, 2008 at 10:30:00 am

This Scenarist software is crazy. The sistem requirements ask me for a Hewlett Packard xw8400, so i assume i have to have this computer to work with this program, along with all the other requirements.
http://www.sonic.com/products/Professional/Scenarist/system.aspx

Will this work on another computer??
I'm sorry to insist on this issue but any help is precious.

respects

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 22, 2008 at 12:00:18 pm

[Andre Roquette] "Will this work on another computer??
I'm sorry to insist on this issue but any help is precious.
"

The computer is the least of your concerns. You did look up the price, correct? Last time I looked it was in the $50,000+ range.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Andre Roquette
on Aug 22, 2008 at 12:03:48 pm

Uau!!

You're right walter. This won't work for me.
Do you know another program i can try?

respects

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 22, 2008 at 12:34:41 pm

[Andre Roquette] "Uau!!

You're right walter. This won't work for me.
Do you know another program i can try? "

The only thing that might fit in your price range is NetBlenders's DoStudio. I have NOT used it yet as it only runs on Windows and we're a Mac shop. Their pricing structure is a monthly licensing fee of about $250 per month and you can do this on a month to month basis as you need it. Very very cool idea and unlike Encore, they claim to make a proper BluRay to commercial replication specs.

If you do try this, please re-post on a new thread about your experiences. I probably will purchase a PC next month and go ahead to give the software a whirl myself.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Andre Roquette
on Aug 22, 2008 at 12:45:53 pm

Thank you Walter,

At the moment i'm looking into Roxio DVDit pro HD. It looks like a good option but it also has some limitations, will see. If i try Do Studio i will let you know how it works.

thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]