FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need recommendations for blu-ray internal burner and set top player

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Paterno
Need recommendations for blu-ray internal burner and set top player
on Jul 9, 2008 at 4:13:44 pm

First off...I am a DVD SP user. However, that is going to change quickly as I need to start burning blu-ray discs since we are doing more and more hi-def content.

Everything I will do for awhile will be menu-less. Just push play and it plays the program.

I am working on a Mac Pro 10.4.11 OSX. I need a recommendation for a blu-ray burner...one that is RW so I use the same disc (especially important when I first start working...I dont want to burn 18 dollar coasters).

Then I need a desk top player. It cannot be a PS3. I've been looking at the BDP-S300 but I am open to suggestions.

I also need to buy a copy of Encore (well Premiere bundled with Encore). Are there any tips for me before I go and spend all this money??

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Need recommendations for blu-ray internal burner and set top player
on Jul 9, 2008 at 8:56:34 pm

All Blu-ray burners are capable of burning to BD-RE (re-writable), so you needn't worry about that. I've only used the LaCie d2 on the Mac, which worked fine with Encore CS3 - but I would expect any of them to work.

Regarding the players, I've played them on Panasonic and Sony players (sorry, no model numbers handy), as well as the PS3, which is a fine Blu-ray player - arguably the best. Usually any incompatibility has been a missing firmware update away.

Return to posts index

Tuhin Dasgupta
on Jul 15, 2008 at 8:55:23 am

Hello there,

I use a Lite-On BD BLH-281S Internal blu ray burner on a PC and it is brilliant - it does the job perfectly. I burn directly from Premiere and Encore and the end result is fantastic. Ensure you transcode using H264 with a bit rate of between 25 and 30 VBR 2 Pass.

In terms of the Sony BDP-S300 - it is ok but not as good as the PS3. It is sooooo sloooowwwww. You turn it on and then you wait and wait and wait for the machine to open the disc tray. Then you wait some more and more and then you watch your disc which as I said isn't as nice as the PS3. I would go for the Panasonic BD-30 which all the magazines are raving about.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Tuhin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 24, 2008 at 3:30:49 pm

[Bill Paterno] "Everything I will do for awhile will be menu-less. Just push play and it plays the program. "

If that's all you're doing, then you'll be fine. Encore works great for simply "Play" menus, just don't create menus that have a lot of buttons that require routing.

We use the FastMac BluRay burner in our Mac Pros, a Panasonic BluRay duplicator for making copies and for testing we have both a Sony BDP-S1 and Samsung 1500 Player. The Sony is one of the originals and the Samsung just came out about two weeks ago.

[Bill Paterno] "Are there any tips for me before I go and spend all this money?? "

Yeah, go read my blog about all the issues with Encore before you spend this money. Button routing does not work and despite trying to get Adobe to work with us since about April / May, they still can't solve the problem. A simple 12 button Chapter Menu should work easily enough, it doesn't. Well, I take that back, it does, just not correctly.

Oh yeah, also purchase Toast to do your actual burning of the discs. Encore more often than not will crash if you try to burn a BD-R directly from the application so we build ISO files in Encore and then use Toast to burn them to disc. Works every time!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Beau Brotherton
on Jul 26, 2008 at 6:27:34 pm

This is, as I'm sure, an interesting topic for many. Walter, would you mind letting us FCP users in on your entire work flow from :

FCP to AE (if needed)
AE to FCP
FCP to Color back to FCP
and then...??

This is where I'm not sure of the work flow. Do you export a self contained QT and import to Premier to do your encoding? What are your next steps. Of course, after posting this I'm going to read your blog on Encore. And also, it would be great if Apple would just hop on and make DVD SP/Compressor able to do BluRay.

Anyway thanks for the posts, I always love learning and planning for more fun stuff!

Beau Brotherton
Macbook Pro 2.4GHz, Intel Core 2Duo, 4GB
FCP6
HVX200

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 28, 2008 at 11:45:35 am

[Beau Brotherton] "Do you export a self contained QT and import to Premier to do your encoding? What are your next steps. Of course, after posting this I'm going to read your blog on Encore. And also, it would be great if Apple would just hop on and make DVD SP/Compressor able to do BluRay. "

Workflow is simple.

Edit in FCP

Grade in Color

Export from FCP to Compressor

Use compressor to make the MPEG-2 & AC3 files (H.264 doesn't work in Encore, just another thing that doesn't work )

Send the MPEG-2 and AC3 files to Encore along with menus created in Photoshop.

Then do some ancient voodoo dances around the computer and force Encore against its will to create Chapter Menus that actually work as they are supposed. Unfortunately that part of it still does not work and Adobe just hasn't had any answers for us. I think at this point we have more experience creating BluRay discs than they do.

They gave us some new ideas on July 13th after I told them our deadline was July 1st and their ideas do actually work if we stay in Encore and run the disc simulation. In fact everything works correctly in disc simulation mode in Encore and I honestly believe this is the only way that Adobe tests the BluRay functionality. Because they assured me their latest fix absolutely corrects the button routing issue. The moment you actually BURN a BluRay disc, the button routing no longer works. Never has IF you have more than a simply Play menu or more than 3 or 4 buttons.

[Beau Brotherton] "And also, it would be great if Apple would just hop on and make DVD SP/Compressor able to do BluRay.
"

Well, thanks in part to my blog, my posts in this forum and my posts in the FCP forum, I've been contacted by many software manufacturers and some of the major players who are creating the high end BluRay discs for the major studios. Always fun when you pick up the phone and you hear "Hi Walter, this is so and so from _______ Studios in Hollywood/Burbank/Florida/New York and I wanted to talk to you about your posts and your blog."

I've learned that I'm not alone in finding Encore completely "not ready for BluRay prime time." Amazing the amount of detail you can get from folks who have tried to use Encore or only use it for "quick, in-house projects."

I've also learned that making a BluRay disc requires the project to fit into some amazingly tight parameters to make it work. As one person told me, "DVD is just ridiculously easy, pretty much anyone can create DVD software, but BluRay requires a tremendous amount of code and work to make the software BluRay compliant. Especially if you're going to try to make a commercially replicated disc." Which by the way you cannot do with Encore. You can only make BD-R's with Encore. If you require a commercially replicated disc, then you have to simply send your raw movie files to a company that owns Scenarist or Blu-It. We still have not tested DoStudio from NetBlender, but then we don't have a PC in the shop that can handle that either.

So I think these tight parameters and the amount of work necessary to create a good BluRay authoring software might be one of the reasons why Apple has not been gung-ho to add BluRay to DVDSP. That and they are also pushing AppleTV as the alternative. OR, it could be that if they do ever update DVDSP, maybe they want to make it compliant with commercial replication, after all the Pixar BluRay discs are hands down the best looking and most interesting in terms of menu and interactive functionality. Those guys definitely know what they're doing and with any luck, the Apple DVDSP team is gleaning knowledge from them.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Beau Brotherton
on Jul 28, 2008 at 5:36:36 pm

Wow, excellent post Walter. Thank you very much for your insight. Although it is making feel better that I'm not offering Blu-ray yet, it is interesting that you are doing everything in the FCP suite until actually authoring. I thought that you would have to compress with in another app.

I really appreciate your help. I learned a bunch in only a few paragraphs. :)

Beau Brotherton
Macbook Pro 2.4GHz, Intel Core 2Duo, 4GB
FCP6
HVX200

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 28, 2008 at 5:49:17 pm

[Beau Brotherton] "I really appreciate your help. I learned a bunch in only a few paragraphs. :) "

My pleasure. I'll let you know if we end up purchasing a PC and trying out NetBlender's DoStudio.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]