FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layer Breaks in ENCORE CS3

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William McQueen
on Jul 9, 2008 at 1:43:55 pm

The advice I seek is in regard to layer breaks in ENCORE CS3.

1. I have set the Disk Size to 8.54 - and it says there is 3.84GB free

Question: Does this offer an opportunity to res up the video?

But more urgently,

2. In the same Disk Info box under the "Build" tab, the instructions are to select "automatic" or "manual" That seems to be straight forward, after reading the help section "Specify a layer break for dual-layer DVDs".

However, I can't find any diagramme in regard to the following:

Under the size designation (8.54GB)in Disk Info Box there is a designated choice between Side One and Side Two.

Since the break is between side one and side two:

Question: Do I choose Side One or choose Side Two?

I can't find a reference, or don't know how to interpret:

"Encore creates the layer break (also called layer transition) between timelines or menus, making a smooth transition (since it jumps layers at a point where no content is playing)"

Question: Does this mean selecting the layer from which the break occurs, or the layer that it jumps to (eg. Layer 2).

I read somewhere that once automatic is selected, it can't be reversed.

In the end, I got no interactive menu to make a manual choice of layer break.

Thanks for your collective wisdom and patience.

Cheers,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Layer Breaks in ENCORE CS3
on Jul 9, 2008 at 2:57:05 pm

1. You might be able to increase the bit-rate, but you can't increase the resolution to HD, for instance. DVD-Video does not support high-definition video. Encore CS3 can export HD to Blu-ray; otherwise, it down-samples to standard definition.

If you meant increase the video bit rate, you may be able to do so if you have not already reached the allowable limit for DVD-Video. However, more importantly, general experience is that burned DVDs start having player compatibility issues when you go over 7 Mbps. If your video is transcoded at a lower bit-rate than that, then by all means revert it and choose a higher bit rate.

2. I'm not familiar with the UI that you mention, but last time I authored to DL, I don't recall seeing a choice for Side 1 or Side 2. Can you post a screenshot?

Regarding the second part of this question, it means selecting what part of your project to change layers at. Layer changes are only from the first layer to the second layer, and never the reverse until you try to access material on the first layer again.

Finally, "manual" in this case is not truly manual - it is manual ONLY if Encore cannot find a suitable break in between separate timelines to place the layer break.

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Jul 9, 2008 at 6:06:06 pm

>Finally, "manual" in this case is not truly manual - it is manual ONLY >if Encore cannot find a suitable break in between separate timelines
>to place the layer break.

I think this is an answer which partially informs my choices. Thanks so very much for that.

I will gladly post a screen shot, if you'll tell me where I should do that. I'm not familiar with where I might do that on the Cow.

Thanks again,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jul 9, 2008 at 8:47:24 pm

You could post a screenshot to one of the photo hosting sites such as Flickr or Photobucket, then post the link here.

Return to posts index

Ray Adkins
on Jul 24, 2008 at 2:56:54 pm

If you choose manuel for the layer break when you begin to build (burn) your dvd it will ask you where you want the break to happen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]