FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having a common interface for DVD, web site and BluRay?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Saber
Having a common interface for DVD, web site and BluRay?
on Jul 8, 2008 at 7:58:49 pm

Hello all, I need your opinion about an idea I had.

As a 3d freelancer artist, I often need to show off my work. I like to have a web site for anyone to see, but I also like to have a DVD that I send to clients and companies for easy viewing. And now with my new Blu-ray burner, I am able to author my 3d Portfolio on Blu-Ray format, so people can see my demo reel on HD quality :)

The problem is: almost every year, I have to upgrade the DVD, the next year, I should upgrade the web site, and then again, the BluRay. So it’s 3 different works, too much time spent, and less time for 3d projects. :(

So I was thinking: why not having the same interface for the 3 medias?
With Adobe Encore, you can author a Blu-ray and output it to Blu-ray video disc, DVD video, and Flash web site : http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/encore/ .
According to this web site, there is a similar function in Ulead DVD MovieFactory : http://www.computervideo.net/dec6.html .

This choice would have advantages and disadvantages:
- Main problem: DVD and Blu-rays are made to be watched at 2 meters away from the monitor, this means big and few menu items on one “page”. This page on a web site, watched close from the monitor, would not look so good.
- Main benefit: it is just one interface that you output in 3 different formats. It’s like when you output your demo reel video in Quicktime, WMV and MPEG, you don’t need to start over all the work for each formats. The job is done only once, so you have more time to take care of it.

Considering this, I haven’t quite made up my mind yet, about starting a mixed formats interface. I’d like to know your opinion about it.

Thanks!
David

http://www.davidsaber.com

Return to posts index

heath firestone
Re: Having a common interface for DVD, web site and BluRay?
on Jul 9, 2008 at 2:24:46 am

If you're asking about the viability of doing it, it's definitely viable. Like you said, though, you want the menus to look appropriate for all mediums. I haven't used it for webpage, except as samples of work from the DVD's I've created, but it is possible to do. I like the fact that you can give people something downloadable that gives them the interface and navigation of the DVD. Whether you want your whole site to be Flash, with the limitations of what you can do Flash encoding wise in Encore or not, is still a question, but it would allow you to have a flash link to your latest online Demo Reel, which could be virtually identical to your HD and DVD Demo Reel.

Heath

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Having a common interface for DVD, web site and BluRay?
on Jul 9, 2008 at 2:43:01 pm

Ulead DVD MovieFactory does not export to Flash.

As to Encore CS3, that's the idea - the same Encore project can export to DVD, Blu-ray, and Flash.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]