FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore Transcodes Transcoded Video!

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adhish Yajnik
Encore Transcodes Transcoded Video!
on Jul 6, 2008 at 7:15:14 am

I'm converting an NTSC DVD that I authored recently to PAL because I'm sending it to some relatives in Europe. I took the original NTSC videos and put them into a PAL-settings Premiere file, and because I knew the bitrates of all the transcoded video and audio files from the original NTSC project file, I used those bitrates with Premiere's MPEG-2 encoder so that I wouldn't have to sit through Encore's slow encodes from avi to MPEG-2.

However, even with all of these .m2v files and .ac3 files, Encore starts transcoding all my assets again when I build an image or a disc. I even checked the Sources in the project folder, and under Transcodes, it's adding transcoded versions of all my video files that are already transcoded and even read "Don't Transcode" in the "Transcode Settings" Column in the Assets panel.

Why is Encore re-transcoding if all my assets are all DVD-compliant already? Because I'm sure it's transcoding them to even lower bitrates than they were already at, which is not good at all. Is there any way to stop this madness?!

~ Adhish

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Encore Transcodes Transcoded Video!
on Jul 6, 2008 at 12:37:03 pm

1. Encore's transcoding engine is exactly the same as Premiere Pro's. If there is a time-to-encode difference, then it is in the settings you have chosen.

2. Your workflow for converting NTSC to PAL is flawed. The proper tool is DVFilm's Atlantis. At the very least, After Effects will do a better job than Premiere.

3. Did you use the same Encore project when you replaced the NTSC assets with the PAL versions? If so, what steps *exactly* did you follow to do the replacement?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Adhish Yajnik
Re: Encore Transcodes Transcoded Video!
on Jul 7, 2008 at 9:11:11 pm

After trying a bunch of things, I'm just exporting PAL-compliant AVIs and transcoding those in Encore with its automatic settings.

But I actually opened up a new Encore file for the PAL DVD, and I did select the PAL preset when creating that new project file.

My basic workflow in Premiere was to drop an NTSC video onto the timeline (in a PAL-compliant Premiere project), and use Adobe Media Encoder with the MPEG-2 preset and PAL video at 25fps progressive, and I would just change the bitrate for each video separately.

As for Atlantis, how noticeable is the 4% rate change? I don't want my videos to seem like they're going too slow or too fast or anything weird like that.

~ Adhish

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]