FORUMS: list search recent posts

So pretend you are authoring a major movie dvd

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hunter christy
So pretend you are authoring a major movie dvd
on Jun 10, 2008 at 8:28:12 pm

it just boggles my mind as to what i'm doing wrong.

i've shot something in 24p, and i made a progressive 24p transcode preset.

i apply it to the footage.

i have a progressive scan dvd player.

so why is it that MY 24p footage on a dvd player looks like it frame blends (especially noticeable on harsh cuts), whereas a movie shot in 24p on the same dvd player doesnt?!?!

what am i doing wrong? is there a step by step "transcoding for dummies" tutorial somewhere?

THE BiG HONKIN'
"The Defenders Of Stan"-lots of after effects

Return to posts index

Nick McCoy
Re: So pretend you are authoring a major movie dvd
on Jun 16, 2008 at 12:50:21 pm

I know how frustrating a problem like this can be and wanted to help as much as possible but won't be around most of the rest of the day to reply, so I will try to be as thorough as possible in the hopes that if you do still have trouble and are able to answer the questions I ask (the more detailed the better), others should be able to get you an answer. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but I'm short on time... I do apologize if my questions are kind of scattered, I'm just typing them as I think of them....

The first question I would need to ask.... It sounds like the process was going OK until you burned to disc. Did the transcoded footage play correctly on your computer? Have you been able to get your DVD to play on another system?

I found a pretty good transcoding article here. It is specific to going from 24p source footage to a 24p NTSC DVD.

If his rundown and instructions don't help your specific problem, here are some starting questions:

What was the source footage shot on, and how was it imported to your editing system?

You said you created a "24p transcode preset". Since this implies there was not one available by default, that would lead me to believe you might be using software that is older....

What kind of machine are you using? Basic system specifications could prove helpful.

What software (i.e. Premiere Pro 1.5) did you use to edit the footage? Did you use the editing software, Adobe Encore, or something third-party like Procoder 2 to transcode the footage?

Which settings did you use (in as much detail as possible) in creating your 24p transcoding preset? The transcoding article I linked to above goes in to great detail on the exact settings you need to use.

If you get through all of that and are still having issues, my next questions for you are in regards to your hardware.

First, What make and model DVD burner are you using? While I'm on the topic of burning... what type (brand) of DVDs are you burning to? Are they standard format? Double-layer?

You noted that you are able to view a different 24p DVD on your progressive-scan player. Assuming that the working DVD was not made by you, do you know who made it and/or what the different factor(s) are in the way it was produced?

I think that should get you headed down the right path toward solving the problem.... I tried to cover as many bases as possible since your post is a bit light on the details as of now.

Return to posts index

hunter christy
Re: So pretend you are authoring a major movie dvd
on Jun 17, 2008 at 7:01:29 pm

Did the transcoded footage play correctly on your computer? Have you been able to get your DVD to play on another system?

thats a great question. the only place i'd checked the transcoded piece was IN encore, and it looked alright. i've played my dvds on a number of systems, and they all look like they're frame blending.

What was the source footage shot on, and how was it imported to your editing system?

the source was a panasonic dvx100b. it was imported via firewire on a sony deck into premiere pro cs3.

You said you created a "24p transcode preset". Since this implies there was not one available by default, that would lead me to believe you might be using software that is older....

unless i missed something, i couldn't find a 24p transcode preset inside of encore cs3.

What kind of machine are you using? Basic system specifications could prove helpful.

i'm using a BOXX 3D boxx w8300
Dual quadcore, with 4gb of RAM

What software (i.e. Premiere Pro 1.5) did you use to edit the footage? Did you use the editing software, Adobe Encore, or something third-party like Procoder 2 to transcode the footage?

the footage was edited in premiere cs3, rendered out uncompressed avi from after effects cs3, transcoded in encore cs3.

Which settings did you use (in as much detail as possible) in creating your 24p transcoding preset? The transcoding article I linked to above goes in to great detail on the exact settings you need to use.

i made a preset based on the VBR high quality preset in encore

VIDEO:
MainConcept MPEG Video
QUALITY: 5
FPS: 23.976
FIELD ORDER: NONE
ASPECT RATIO: 4:3
BITRATE ENCODING: VBR, 2 Pass

MIN BITRATE: 1.5
TARGET BITRATE: 7
MAX BITRATE: 9

M FRAMES: 3
N FRAMES: 15

First, What make and model DVD burner are you using? While I'm on the topic of burning... what type (brand) of DVDs are you burning to? Are they standard format? Double-layer?

the dvd burner is a SONY AW-Q170A. the brands vary from standard format memorex to dynex to hp to whatever. i've tried a bunch of different single layer brands.

You noted that you are able to view a different 24p DVD on your progressive-scan player. Assuming that the working DVD was not made by you, do you know who made it and/or what the different factor(s) are in the way it was produced?

truth be told here, i have no idea if it was a true 24p progressive scan or not. i was sort of assuming since motion pictures tend to be 24p. like any major hollywood movie is what i'm talking about.

THE BiG HONKIN'
"The Defenders Of Stan"-lots of after effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]