FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chapter problems Encore CS3

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cameron Lockey
Chapter problems Encore CS3
on Jun 2, 2008 at 4:59:14 pm

I just finished creating my DVD and tested (several copies) on a few different DVD players. I have a main menu and a scene selection menu that I created myself using drop zones (or whatever they're called in Encore...the (%) areas).

When I use the scene selection menu or just page through the main timeline using the "next chapter" button on the remote, the chapters are way off from where I set them in the timeline in Encore. I set the chapters and poster frames myself in the Encore timeline.

Has anyone ever experienced this? If so, please help. I'm up against a hard deadline and need to fix this issue.

Thank you!

Cameron

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Chapter problems Encore CS3
on Jun 2, 2008 at 6:48:24 pm

The poster frame is an attribute of a chapter point. Setting a poster frame on a different frame than the chapter point is possible - as long as both are within the same timeline - and you will see the poster frame update in the linked button.

When you navigate the timeline using the next/prev buttons, it should go to the next/prev chapter point which you set in the timeline - not the poster frame of that chapter.

So is the problem that it's really not going to the chapter point you set? Or were you expecting it to go to the poster frame?

Return to posts index

Cameron Lockey
on Jun 2, 2008 at 6:56:09 pm

Hey Joe,

The poster frames work fine. The problem is where the scene selection menu buttons ACTUALLY take you on the timeline, and where the "next chapter" button on the remote actually takes you. They're just off, not really anywhere near where I set them.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 2, 2008 at 7:24:30 pm

I haven't seen this problem myself.

So how far off are your chapter points from where you set them? Are video and audio still in sync? Do you see this behavior in more than one DVD player?

Return to posts index

Cameron Lockey
on Jun 2, 2008 at 7:50:18 pm

Ok. I just looked at the preview a little more and in the preview, my audio and video are not in sync. The points the chapters take me in the audio are where it takes me on the timeline in the actual DVD. However, in the DVD, the audio & video are in sync. Does that make sense?

In the preview, the video chapters are correct, and the audio is out of sync. On the DVD player, the video and audio are in sync, but the chapters go where the audio goes in the preview.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jun 2, 2008 at 7:10:16 pm

If your imported asset for the timeline was an mpeg file, then Encore can only put chapter markers on GOP boundaries. Those can be as much as 15 frames (1/2 second in NTSC) away from the frame where you set the chapter marker.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Cameron Lockey
on Jun 2, 2008 at 7:56:08 pm

Thanks for your help. My asset is an MPEG-2. However, the chapters are off way more than 1/2 sec. They're off more like 24 sec.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jun 2, 2008 at 8:25:28 pm

What type of audio is used for the source, and what type of audio is Encore set to output?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Cameron Lockey
on Jun 2, 2008 at 8:48:45 pm

I don't know what type of Audio Encore is set to output, but I'm using .ac3 files that contain 5.1 Surround Sound and LtRt mixes.

I kinda solved my problem, even though it's kind of a workaround. I basically burned a disc and then watched the timecode for my desired chapter points and used those timecodes on the Encore timeline. They don't match the video track at all, but they line up correctly with the audio track in the preview. I burned another copy and the chapters line up now.

It seems like Encore is reading the video track as having a lower frame rate or something, and not interpolating. However, you and I both know that MPEG-2 video is 30fps. Very strange.

Return to posts index

Cameron Lockey
on Jun 5, 2008 at 1:44:28 pm

Hey guys. Thanks for all your help. I sort of fixed my problem with the DVD chapters. I noticed that my video did not sync with my audio in the timeline and preview, and that the chapters were going to the points in the timeline at the audio and not the video.

So I watched the DVD (in which the audio was miraculously in sync), and grabbed timecodes from that and used them, which made the chapters line up properly, even though they were at the completely wrong places according to the video track on the timeline and the monitor.

My question is: have you ever experienced the audio and video not lining up like that in the preview, but being nearly perfect when the DVD is actually burned. If so, what could cause that?

Cameron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]