FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect Ratio?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Celene Haberkost
Aspect Ratio?
on May 13, 2008 at 3:09:47 am

Hi all,

I'm getting the standard "The aspect ratio of this file is not supported by DVD" error that seems to be popping up a lot. Does anyone know if all files in a project have to have the same aspect ratio for it to work? If so, then that's my problem right there. (My movie file is in 16:9, but an interview file is in 4:3.)

Thanks!

Celene

Return to posts index

Heath Firestone
Re: Aspect Ratio?
on May 13, 2008 at 5:22:21 am

What resolution are you rendering to? When you say that your movie is 16:9 but an interview is 4:3, do you mean that the interview, which is in your movie is a different aspect ratio? If this is the case, it should just stretch the video to the other aspect ratio. NTSC DVD's support 720X480 resolution, whether it is 16:9 or 4:3. What makes one 16:9 vs. 4:3, is the pixel aspect ratio, which is set to 1.2 for 16:9, and .9 for 4:3. If you are importing a different resolution than this, that may be your problem (unless your project is PAL).

Heath

Return to posts index

Celene Haberkost
on May 13, 2008 at 2:49:55 pm

Hi Heath! Thanks for the fast reply!

What resolution are you rendering to?

All of my dimensions are set at 720 x 480, though is there somewhere to set the resolution it renders to?

When you say that your movie is 16:9 but an interview is 4:3, do you mean that the interview, which is in your movie is a different aspect ratio?

Sorry, I should have specified. Of the DVD, there are several files/timelines. One is called "movie", the next called "outtakes", the next called "interview", etc. "Movie" and "outtakes" are both 16:9, but "interview" is 4:3. Is that doable? My menus are in 4:3 as well.

The weird thing is, it gives me the error on "outtakes", saying it's aspect ratio is unsupported, but "movie" renders fine, and "movie" and "outtakes" are exactly the same footage filmed on the same day from the same camera and both are in 16:9!

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

heath firestone
on May 14, 2008 at 4:51:05 am

I don't think there is any problem with having both 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios in the same project, but it's been a while since I mixed the two.

What codec are you using on the video files you are importing into Encore?

Heath

Return to posts index

Celene Haberkost
on May 15, 2008 at 2:13:24 am

Hi Heath,

Yeah, I thought it wouldn't be a problem combining 4:3 and 16:9, since it lets me do it without complaining at time of building the DVD. Though I've seen problems where it didn't complain about things wrong before...

I'm not sure on the exact codec, but I can check. I rendered everything through Premiere Pro 3, so I'm using whatever the default is there. I'm guessing/hoping they work together.

All my files are currently .mpg video and .wav audio. The thing that may be catching it up is that to fix another error I got when building my DVD, I converted all the .m2v's to .mpg's. It solved the issue I was having before (when it was not transcoding the video, but erroring), but now I'm getting this error. I'm wondering if it's related. Though, the aspect ratio still shows 16:9, so it doesn't look like it has a problem with it?

Sorry if I'm making this more of a headache than you bargained for! But thanks very much for helping me out... any other ideas?

Celene

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 15, 2008 at 3:00:57 pm

Encore supports both 16:9 and 4:3 video on the same disc.

The problem lies elsewhere - do you have any button transitions?

Return to posts index

Celene Haberkost
on May 15, 2008 at 3:26:22 pm

Hi Joe!

That's good to know!

No, I don't believe I have any button transitions... I just have very simple text buttons that I copied from a pre-made layout in the program.

Can anything else be doing it?

Thanks again!

Celene

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 15, 2008 at 4:48:01 pm

What links to your "outtakes" timeline?

Return to posts index

Celene Haberkost
on May 15, 2008 at 4:49:52 pm

You can get to 'outtakes' from the special features menu only. Nothing else is connected to it. When it finished, it goes back to the special features menu.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 15, 2008 at 4:52:37 pm

Is the timeline in a playlist?

Also, if you select the video asset in the Project panel, and then choose File > Interpret Footage - what does its current setting read?

Return to posts index

Celene Haberkost
on May 15, 2008 at 4:54:39 pm

I don't think it's in a playlist... not quite sure how to do that.

Also, I tried the "interpret footage" option before, but it's greyed out. I read that it can only interpret footage on untranscoded AVIs. This is an MPEG. :(

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 15, 2008 at 5:15:25 pm

If you have any playlists, they will show up with a green icon (I think) in the Project panel. Select it, then look at the playlist properties, which will show what is in the playlist.

If there are no playlists, try deleting the timeline, then select the video asset and create a new timeline. Does that error when you try to build?

Return to posts index

Celene Haberkost
on May 15, 2008 at 5:52:23 pm

Don't have any playlists, but found some good news and bad news.

I deleted "outtakes" and tried to build again. It gave me the same exact error as it was planning the files for the movie, but this time, it's on the timeline called "rehearsal". This is the same cyclic effect I was getting on my "internal error" before. If I delete "rehearsal" and rebuild it, it will happen on the next timeline, and then the next, and then circle back to "outtakes" again.

So the good news is it thinks all the timelines have improper aspect ratios, but that's the bad news too, probably.

Does this help any, or make the diagnosis worse? :)

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 15, 2008 at 5:54:32 pm

It doesn't help much in troubleshooting.

If you delete all the timelines, and then re-create them, does it still error?

Return to posts index

Celene Haberkost
on May 16, 2008 at 12:22:11 am

I spent some time deleting the timelines (I had quite a few), and I recreated them, all except for 'outtakes' and 'rehearsal', which I recreated before. (I redid 'Outtakes' first, then got the error on 'rehearsal', then recreated 'rehearsal'.)

After trying to build it again, it now has circled back to 'outtakes', saying it still has an aspect ratio problem. I think it tries to build the oldest timeline first, and continues from there.

Do you have anything else that I can try?

Thanks again for all your help!

Celene

Return to posts index

heath firestone
on May 16, 2008 at 2:12:47 am

I suspect the error is codec related. The reason I was asking you what codec you were using, was so that I could determine this. Instead, let's define your process.

Are your projects in Premiere Pro DV projects?

Are you exporting to Media Encoder using the DVD settings, and bringing those files in to Encore?

If so, can you instead, export your Premiere timeline to a DV file, the import that into Encore, and choose the render options there. The purpose of testing this, is to bypass the potential of issues brought into the mix by encoding with Premiere (this isn't usually a problem, but it is a debugging test).

I'll have more suggestions once you try this. You dan't ahve to do it with all files, just try it with the first file it usually errors out on, and see if you get any further.

Thanks,

Heath

Return to posts index

Celene Haberkost
on May 18, 2008 at 1:21:11 am

Hi Heath! Sorry it took me so long to get back:

Are your projects in Premiere Pro DV projects?
-Yes, they are.

Are you exporting to Media Encoder using the DVD settings, and bringing those files in to Encore?
- I exported them all as MPEG2's with .m2v video and .wav audio.

If so, can you instead, export your Premiere timeline to a DV file, the import that into Encore, and choose the render options there.
- Exported "Outtakes" as an AVI file, put it into the timeline instead, but still got the same "aspect ratio" error.

Is there anything else you can think of that I can try?

Thanks for all your help!

Return to posts index

Unai Guerra
on Oct 16, 2008 at 8:16:45 am

I had the same problem and I solved it applying to the video asset the "Revert to Original" instruction. Surprisingly it worked and I built the DVD correctly. I noticed that the video asset was reinterpreted as 1.066 aspect ratio video, been originally a 16:9 clip (1.422), but when putted in a 16:9 timeline it was shown in its correct pixel proportion.

All the pixel aspect ratios mentioned above were used in a PAL project.

Hope It´ll be of any help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]