FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpv's forced to transcode

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thad Ciechanowski
mpv's forced to transcode
on May 9, 2008 at 4:23:51 pm

Hi,

I have some mpv/mpa files I get hardware encoded from another company. Encore 2.0 ALWAYS forces a transcode even when I select "don't transcode". Also it won't read the mpa's untill I convert them to wav's.

All the files are DVD compliant. The mpa's are PCM 48K/16bit and the GOP's of the mpv's are set up correctly. The technician that does the encoding has been doing this for years and never has issues. DVD Studio Pro will take the files with no transcode and no issues. I called Adobe abd they said Encore 2.0 does support mpv files so what gives? Am I mising something?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: mpv's forced to transcode
on May 9, 2008 at 4:26:29 pm

[Thad Ciechanowski] "he mpa's are PCM 48K/16bit and the GOP's of the mpv's are set up correctly."

Frame size and frame rate of the .mpv files, please?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Thad Ciechanowski
on May 9, 2008 at 4:59:17 pm

720 X 480, 29.97fps

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 9, 2008 at 5:11:32 pm

Thanks.

1. As you have discovered, nothing obvious points to what is causing the problem, so digging deeper is needed.

2. What is the peak bit rate of the files?

3. Just for clarification, what is the GOP structure?

4. Are the combined file sizes too big for the project, i.e., is there any chance you are trying to put more than 4.7 GB into a single-layer project?

5. If you set the transcode settings to "Don't Transcode", what indications are you getting that Encore is transcoding the video assets?

6. Just for fun, please try changing the extensions on the files to .m2v for the video and .wav for the audio. Don't make any other changes to them and then try them again in Encore.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Thad Ciechanowski
on May 9, 2008 at 5:29:54 pm

Jeff,

I did try to change the file extension to m2v and it made no difference. I know it's transcoding the files because Encore says "transcoding video" and I watch the progress bar take a few minutes to finish. Also the end product shows more artifacts than coming out of DVDSP. It's only a 2 minute video so file size isn't the issue.

As far as GOP structure goes, I believe it's 15 frame GOP. I actually have gone over this with the tech who does the encoding and they are DVD compiant files. I'm not sure what the peak bitrate is. Isn't there afree download somewhere that will tell you?

Anyway, I'm stumped I like Encore, but if I can't use hardware encoded files my clients demand, I'm gonna have to go to DVDSP for good.

Return to posts index

Thad Ciechanowski
on May 9, 2008 at 6:48:13 pm

OK so I made a new project in Version 1.0. Everything worked OK. I'm starting to think There's a glitch somewhere. I already re-installed the program however so I guess I'll try it on another machine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]