FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buttons turn in a blob

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
Buttons turn in a blob
on May 8, 2008 at 10:06:28 pm

Hi guys,

I created a custom menu by simply exporting one of the stock Encore Menus (NTSC Television) as a Photoshop file and then modifying it with my own images. I did not change the button naming structure or the folders. Just changed the images within.

When I look at the buttons in Photoshop, they look nice with the correct icons. The icon is the company logo which is a stylized bow and arrow in a circle.

When I look at the buttons in Encore, they just turn into round blobs. Like low rez version of a circle that you would see in an old video game. The color is right, but I don't see the icons at all.

Running Mac version of Encore, latest 3.0.2 version, on OS 10.4.11. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Buttons turn in a blob - Sample in blog
on May 8, 2008 at 10:21:51 pm

I just uploaded some images in my blog to show you what's happening. thanks!

http://blogs.creativecow.net/node/518

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 9, 2008 at 1:02:28 am

You can't have fancy graphics as highlights. The highlight layer is a 2-bit graphic that's generated by the DVD player during playback.

To do what you want, you need multiple duplicate copies of the same menu, each with the logo appearing next to a different button, and the button auto-activate feature turned on. Be prepared for lots of linking to lots of different menus. It will be a real nightmare if your menu structure is more than 2 deep.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 9, 2008 at 2:02:13 am

[Jeff Bellune] "You can't have fancy graphics as highlights. The highlight layer is a 2-bit graphic that's generated by the DVD player during playback.
"

Well that's a shame. One thing I can actually do in DVDSP. Well, I guess I'll just do a simple circle then, shame, the client really liked having her logo as the buttons.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 9, 2008 at 2:07:26 am

I think DVDSP does the same thing that you can do in Encore, except that it automatically fudges things to make the duplicate menus.

DVDSP is notorious for sometimes creating out-of-spec DVDs.

DVDSP has to use a kludge because the highlight color limitations are part of the DVD spec, not just of one authoring program or another.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 13, 2008 at 2:08:08 pm

As a follow-up, I've forwarded the Photoshop file to Adobe, they've been able to reproduce the issue in-house and are working on a resolution.

So hopefully I'll be able to use the full resolution buttons as designed on the next go round of this DVD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 14, 2008 at 2:22:40 pm

Walter, any resolution in this case would be to add a feature to automate the duplicate menu creation that is necessary in order to represent something that the DVD-Video specification does not support.

In DVD-Video, button highlights and subtitle tracks are limited to a 2 bit graphics layer. It's impossible to get full fidelity on highlight layers which don't meet these requirements.

Creating duplicate menus, then using the auto-activate feature is one way to get around the limitations of the format - it gives the appearance of 24 bit button highlights, but it's only a fudge. DVDSP does the fudge behind the scenes, taking out the hard work of manually wiring up the menus. But this workaround (whether manual or automatic) is a workaround for the very limitations of the DVD-Video specification.

One drawback to this workaround is it will not work as expected in a software DVD player - the user will have to click the button to get the "over highlight". Another drawback is less capable DVD players may show a noticeable delay when going from one menu to the next that displays the "over highlight".

Like most workarounds, it's imperfect.

In my humble opinion, working within the limitations of the spec is a cleaner way to work - but that's just me.

Return to posts index

sebastian la cruz
on May 30, 2008 at 7:20:42 pm

Walter:
Sorry for my poor english... :)
I'm new working with Encore(I've made some projects with templates) and I have to make a menu, that has buttons with gradient colours, that appear or disappear when you roll over it(or when you use the remote control). I have several problems. The first is that when I create the buttons in encore, the gradients changes by plain colours(I think that's the same problem you have). Then, if I use plain colours, I put in the first layer(named: (=1)) a text and a square in the second layer (named: (=2)), the text sees horrible. In photoshop its ok but when I use the menu through encore the text is like pixels in commodore 16 or the great Atari. I don't undertand very well what you have done to use the 3D ball. Please, if you can, send me an email at lacruzs@yahoo.com or an example where I can see how to do this. I can send you pics or the psd which I'm trying to use, so you can figure whats my problem.
Thank you very much for your time.
Sebastian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]