FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcode during build - Blu-ray

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Abney
Transcode during build - Blu-ray
on Apr 24, 2008 at 9:11:54 pm

I've created a simple looping Blu-ray project for an instore display.

I import a short 1080i QUicktime file and transcode to H.264 within Encore CS3.

I create a timeline and drop the clip into it about 10 times for a total of 15 minutes of content... this way the player only pauses every 15 minutes to jump back to the beginning of the timeline, instead of every 90 sec. Program starts and stops on a graphic... not black.

Now when I go to build a disc image, the Build Progress window shows "Transcoding" and I wait for 20 minutes for Encore to transcode the 15 minute timeline.

I thought that since the clip was already transcoded this step would go much faster.

Is H.264 the reason? Can Encore not see that the timeline is made up of transcoded material and simply write the same data ten times instead of transcoding the whole length of the timeline?

-mark

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Transcode during build - Blu-ray
on Apr 24, 2008 at 11:09:27 pm

Maybe it's transcoding the audio? (multiple clips in a timeline must be transcoded to a single AC3 file to avoid drift)

Return to posts index

Mark Abney
on Apr 25, 2008 at 1:59:03 pm

Maybe... but even if this is the case, 15 minutes of audio should not take 20 minutes, especially on a MacPro Octo-Core.

I am thinking that Encore is transcoding the whole timeline over during build.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Apr 25, 2008 at 2:26:41 pm

If the audio and video are muxed together in a single file, then Encore will transcode the entire thing - video and audio.

That's why I feel it is essential to only use elementary streams in Encore.

If you aren't able or willing to do that, then make darn sure the audio won't need to be transcoded.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 25, 2008 at 5:01:58 pm

If your video and audio aren't muxed together and you see this, it could be that you have space between your clips.

Otherwise, if it's already transcoded, there's no need to re-transcode, except for audio.

Return to posts index

Mark Abney
on Apr 25, 2008 at 9:31:10 pm

Thanks for the input everyone.

I just figured that if the QT was already transcoded, Encore would simply "stitch" the individual TRANSCODED elements together during build instead of stitching together the ORIGINAL files and then transcode the whole mess again.

-mark

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 25, 2008 at 11:30:15 pm

That's what should happen - as long as the files are encoded the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]