FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please Help - New User with Transcoding Issue

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Rutherford
Please Help - New User with Transcoding Issue
on Apr 16, 2008 at 12:50:45 am

I searched the forums before I posted and found only minimal help with my issue...

I am authoring my first DVDs in Encore CS3 and am having some issues.

ISSUE 1: I have roughly 3 hours of footage/menus/audio/etc. on each disc. Using Encore's "Automatic" Transcoding settings, the "Build Disc" meter shows 4.7 GB used, but when I actually Build the Disc, the error message comes up that the Bitrate falls below Encores 2Mbps limit. I was going through Encore's bitrate budgeting section in the manual and can't quite get the math right...

I'm not well versed on doing the encoding manually in external applications (I typically work in uncompressed .avis...), so I need some guidance in getting all my stuff to fit :)

ISSUE 2: I am receiving content from my co-worker Editors who are using Final Cut Pro, mostly in Quicktime format. Honestly I am unaware of their compression settings. The issue is weird interlacing when the content is burned to disc and played back (we've been doing tests with smaller footage).

I'm sure most of this is elementary to everyone else, but we all had to do our first DVD sometime, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ENCORE CS3 TRANSCODING SETTINGS

Stephen Rutherford

Graphics Producer: Gale Force Media, CanesVision & Wolfpack TV

stephenr@carolinahurricanes.com

CAROLINA HURRICANES: 2006 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Please Help - New User with Transcoding Issue
on Apr 16, 2008 at 12:55:49 pm

For issue #1, make sure you haven't accidentally (or on purpose) added ROM content to the disc. That will definitely affect Encore's automatic transcoding.

For the other issue, on what display device do you get the interlacing artifacts?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Stephen Rutherford
on Apr 16, 2008 at 3:31:55 pm

I will double check. Disc 1 is relatively simple and it holds our "Main Feature", so I was thinking about rebuilding the project just to be safe (since this was my first project EVER). It'd take no more than a few hours (now that I'm a little more familiar with the program).

Pretty much this disc has the feature (2½ hours long), a motion Main Menu, chapter selections (stills w/ background audio) and a setup menu that is basically "Subtitles On/Off".

The interlacing artifacts show up on the final output disc. I've tried it on both a professional and consumer DVD player and the faster-motion footage (this is a hockey feature with talking heads and game highlights throughout) was "jumpy" on both.

Thank you for your time!

Stephen Rutherford

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Apr 16, 2008 at 3:52:09 pm

"Jumpy" usually indicates an inverted field order.

Return to posts index

Stephen Rutherford
on Apr 16, 2008 at 4:04:52 pm

I did attempt reversing the field order and it looked fine on the output and a little jumpy on the computer. Is that "normal"?

Again, sorry for being elementary. Usually I'm worrying about getting content on a Jumbotron, not a TV screen :)

Stephen Rutherford

Return to posts index

Stephen Rutherford
on Apr 16, 2008 at 4:24:29 pm

Also, my editors were saying that they were unaware of how to reverse the field order on their end.

(a) Is there a particular setting that could do this for them through Final Cut/Compressor?

(b) If not, should I just re-render through Premiere Pro using the "Reverse Field Order" option?

Thanks again.

Stephen Rutherford

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Apr 16, 2008 at 4:51:22 pm

Recompression will always reduce the quality of the clips, sometimes critically.

Unnecessary compression should always be avoided. I would not consider recompression in Premiere just to reverse field order a smart use of a generation of quality. Better to fix it at the source or in the original transcoding.

Exactly how to do that in FCP or Compressor is beyond my ken. I will say that if it is at all possible, your editors should start a new FCP project with the same field order as the source video, then make sure that the transcoding also respects the field order of the original.

I am not surprised that high-motion clips from an interlaced source play back jumpy on a computer. The real test of whether you got the field order correct is when you play back high-motion interlaced content on an interlaced display device. If the motion in that case looks smooth, then you have the correct field order.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]