FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing images into Encore adds inexplicable blue tint

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Shera
Importing images into Encore adds inexplicable blue tint
on Apr 6, 2008 at 1:52:41 am

Hi, I'm new to these forums. I've only been using Encore CS3 on my mac for a month or so, and I've discovered an irritating problem where I'll import a jpeg image (or alternatively drag an image across to the project panel) and it will have a blue tint applied to it. It only seems to happen with some photos; for others it doesn't happen at all. I've tried to isolate the problem, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious pattern. For example, I've renamed jpeg files and changed their location, but to no avail. However, when I drag a jpeg directly onto the menu panel in Encore, everything works fine. Any ideas as to what's causing this problem?

One more thing -- is it common for Encore to be slow when you want to drag an element such as a video thumbnail around a menu page? I'm finding that half the time I have to hold the mouse button down for 3 or more seconds before I can actually move anything. (And I'm using an 8-core Mac Pro 2008 with 10 GB ram.)

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
Re: Importing images into Encore adds inexplicable blue tint
on Apr 6, 2008 at 8:01:50 am

I should add that this problem is apparent with MOST jpegs. Only a minority will work okay. Today the first ten or so jpegs off my camera copied across to Encore unaffected; all the rest had that awful blue tint. I've even gone into Photoshop, saved the jpeg as a tiff file, and yet the problem still exists! This problem will become a major issue if I decide to use the slideshow feature of Encore. I tried that, and all the photos ended up with the blue.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 6, 2008 at 4:30:56 pm

This is the first that I've heard of this problem, and I don't see it on my system.

Do the JPEGs all come from the same digital camera? Perhaps there's a color profile embedded that's causing the problem? (you should be able to remove a color profile when you open the JPEG in Photoshop, and then save it as JPEG or another image file format)

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:31:13 am

I've tried this with two completely different cameras (different brands). The exact same thing happens. I've tried changing the colour profiles in Photoshop; I've tried not embedding any profile at all, but the blue tint STILL happens. And for some reason the problem goes away for only some photos (like the first ten on my camera; but all the rest turn blue). Like I said in my previous post, I tried saving in another format such as TIFF, but the problem still exists!!!

Maybe I should reinstall Encore?

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on Apr 7, 2008 at 1:01:53 pm

Well I thought I should say that I've reinstalled Encore, shared items, as well as Encore codecs and library files. The problem still exists. I can only conclude that there must be some kind of conflict between Encore and something on the Mac. What it is, I'll probably never know. I've done an internet search and I cannot find anyone else who has a problem even vaguely similar. The problem is starting to drive me nuts as I know I will need to import photos into Encore in future and if they all look blue, what's the point???

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Apr 7, 2008 at 1:10:42 pm

I've never heard of this, either.

Some things to check:

1. Is your computer monitor properly calibrated?

2. Can you open them in any app and have them not look blue? Is that app color profile aware?

3. What is your working color space in Photoshop?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on Apr 7, 2008 at 1:40:40 pm

1. I fail to see what the monitor calibration has to do with it. If there was a monitor calibration issue, it would surely affect EVERYTHING on the screen. What's more, it wouldn't affect some photos and not others that come from the exact same camera.

2. The only place that the photos look blue is instantly after they are dragged into the Encore project panel. If they are dragged directly onto the Menu itself, they look fine. The photos look fine everywhere else and in all other applications using them (e.g. in Photoshop, browsing them in Finder, etc.)

3. I fail to see how the working space in Photoshop has anything to do with it. The problem arises even when dragging photos directly from Finder (that's like Windows Explorer if you're on PC) and into Encore. So that's even for photos that have never even been opened in Photoshop before.

Lastly, I'd just like to add that the colour profiles between the Adobe applications were not in sync. However, I have now corrected that problem, but the blue tint issue remains.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on Apr 7, 2008 at 1:47:27 pm

Correction to previous post: In number 3, I meant "colour space", not "working space".

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 7, 2008 at 1:55:54 pm

I fail to understand why you see this problem, and I don't - and no one else has reported anything similar to it.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:23:09 pm

Okay, let me get this straight -- you're blaming ME for this problem? I've barely even used Encore since getting it (I only got the Master Collection in February this year); I've not changed ANY of the default settings at all. I never had this problem with a previous version of Encore (on a completely different computer, btw.) Just because no one else has reported this problem, doesn't mean I'm lying or the problem doesn't exist. A bit more understanding on your part wouldn't go astray.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 7, 2008 at 3:27:39 pm

No, of course I'm not blaming you personally for the problem. But I don't see it, and further suggestions of help Jeff so far didn't seem to be very well received by you.

What I am saying is that if you are seeing it, and others are not, then it would appear to be a configuration or conflict issue that is apparently unique to your system.

Return to posts index

Jane Mitchinson
on May 20, 2010 at 2:56:42 am

I also have this problem with CS4 on a brand new iMac i7. It's unfortunate that this question is not being taken seriously. It makes me think that people are trolling and criticizing instead of helping.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Apr 7, 2008 at 1:57:29 pm

"I fail to see..."

Since I've never heard of this issue (and I've heard of a lot of issues), I thought I'd try eliminating as many possibilities as come to mind.

If your monitor's not calibrated, then calibrate it. If your working color space in Photoshop isn't matched to your current PS task, then fix it. That's sound advice even if Encore didn't show this problem.

Check the white balance on your camera and on all of your photos.

Open the good and bad Encore photos in any and all applications on your system that can view a .jpg image, including After Effects and whatever Apple puts on their systems these days.

Call Adobe Tech Support.

Good luck.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:32:06 pm

I appreciate your assistance, don't get me wrong. It's just that I really couldn't see the relevance of some of the things you suggested. But anyway, I calibrated the monitor. No improvement.

As I said in my previous reply, I synchronized the colour profiles of all Adobe applications via Bridge. But since Photoshop has no bearing on what I'm trying to do (i.e. import photos directly into Encore), adjusting Photoshop settings would be inconsequential.

White balance on the camera -- now there's another thing I don't understand the purpose of. The photos looks PERFECT in every application other than Encore. What's more, what is the chance of two completely different cameras having the SAME problems upon importing into Encore?

Well anyway, it's clearly a very complex issue that requires the assistance of Adobe.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on Apr 7, 2008 at 3:32:34 pm

I've just discovered what TYPE of photos are causing the problem. At least that's one thing I can report to Adobe! It appears as if ALL photos, irrespective of their origin, will have a blue tint applied to them in Encore if the jpeg resolution is higher than about 1400 x 1057. I haven't pinpointed the exact cutoff resolution just yet. All photos lower than this resolution import without incident.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Apr 7, 2008 at 8:46:05 pm

Well, now that is interesting.

I'll see if I can duplicate it here on my Windows box. I'll post back one way or the other.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Apr 8, 2008 at 2:36:43 am

Unable to reproduce here. I tried SD DVD, Blu-Ray DVD H.264 and Blu-Ray MPEG2, all using 3000x2000 jpegs.

What version of Quicktime is installed on your system? After Effects had problems with 7.4 - perhaps your QT version is having a go at Encore?

If changing QT versions doesn't help, then I'm out of ideas.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on Apr 8, 2008 at 3:34:27 am

I've got Quicktime 7.4.5. I heard that Adobe advised its users not to upgrade to the latest version when it came out; however version 7.4 came bundled with my machine.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 8, 2008 at 4:26:10 am

You may want to consider installing an earlier version of QuickTime:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/index1.html

Return to posts index

Craig Kassing
on Apr 10, 2009 at 2:46:00 am

I am running into the same problem only after upgrading to IE8. Once going back to 7 the tint goes away. We are using a directory from memborize and that is where i noticed it first. Any other help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dan Ireland
on May 22, 2008 at 1:13:46 am

Just thought I would mention I am having the same issue. Largest image I can import and get a clear image is around 950 x 700 or so. Anything larger has the blue/pink tint. I am on Leopard running Quicktime 7.4.5. I need the latest version of Quicktime because of video work I do. Any other solutions to this problem?

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on May 22, 2008 at 5:43:16 am

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering this irritating inconvenience. The only solution I can come up with now is to drag picture files DIRECTLY onto the Encore menu page you want to use them in. Of course the limitation of this is that you still can't do slideshows unless all images are below a certain size.

I haven't tried downgrading my version of Quicktime, because like you I need the latest version.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on May 29, 2008 at 5:22:00 pm

I was having the same issue but found a successful workaround. Open the images in photoshop and save them as .psd's. Remove the embeded profile in the save dialog.
Under File>Scripts>Image Processor, you can set up a batch process for this.
Hope it works for you as well.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Animator
Nowhere Productions, Athens, GA

Return to posts index

Matt DeBackere
on May 29, 2008 at 10:38:16 pm

I tried saving them as psds without the color profile and then dragging them in, but encore wouldnt recognize the psds, how is that supposed to work?

Return to posts index

Matt DeBackere
on May 30, 2008 at 3:03:51 am

Answer to the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I figured it out, it has nothing to do with taking the color profile out or saving it as psd or something else or monitor calibration, etc.

Its simply that all images imported need to be less than 1 mb, even if they are 1.1mb it will make them blue, apparently its some kind of built in safety within encore, not sure why. So you can save it as a jpg just make it under 1mb and this should fix the evil blue tint, it worked for me every single time!

enjoy

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on May 30, 2008 at 3:19:29 am

I find it hard to believe that it's some kind of "inbuilt safety" thing. How could you watch a decent HD slideshow which you make in Encore itself if each photo can't be any larger than 1 MB? It's more likely a conflict between the OS and/or Quicktime and Encore.

Return to posts index

Matt DeBackere
on May 30, 2008 at 3:52:32 am

Well whether it is or not, it works, im not sure how it could be quicktime, as I never use it with the pics, they go straight to lightroom, then photoshop, then encore, quicktime doesnt come into the process

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on May 30, 2008 at 6:59:15 am

I imported as slideshow. Worked like a charm.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Animator

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on May 30, 2008 at 8:50:24 am

Well I just tried importing as a slideshow, but the problem persists. I think I'll have to modify every photo that's over 1 MB in Photoshop. I have found that .psd files that are imported or dragged into Encore do not have any problems, but you can't make these files into a slideshow.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on May 30, 2008 at 5:28:54 pm

My .psd slideshow is working fine.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Animator

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on May 19, 2009 at 9:24:52 pm

I've experienced the same problem today...I'm on a MacBook Pro OSX 10.5.6 and the blue tint shows up when the file is larger than 1MB...

Here's an interesting thing...I made the same slideshow on my home PC and no blue tint at all...but it did fail with a *too high bit-rate* error. That's why I took it over to the mac.

Just adding in my experience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]