FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence of Chapters

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Watts
Sequence of Chapters
on Apr 2, 2008 at 9:11:42 pm

Working with Encore 1.5 / PC.

I've got an 80 min movie broken into three chunks (as I was having a problem with getting a long encode to work).
There's three timelines with several chapter points each.
Everything plays in sequence correctly and all menu links work in both preview and on a test disc. However, when using the forward arrow "next chapter" on the remote, all is fine until we get to the material on the second and third timelines. When advancing chapter at a time or reverse in these areas, it seems to get confused and skips to a random choice of chapters.
Encore numbers it's own chapter points, therefore, chapter numbers are duplicated on the different timelines. Even though I can re-number them for my reference, the programming still sees the originally assigned number.
My question, is there a way to make advancing through chapter points work normally without re-encoding the entire show as one file? I've tried the playlist and that makes no difference.
Is this resolved in later releases of Encore?
Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

John Watts

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Sequence of Chapters
on Apr 4, 2008 at 3:34:10 pm

The behavior of Next/Previous buttons when moving from one timeline (VTS) to another is unpredictable and is different on different brands and models of DVD player.

In your current situation, Encore puts the timelines on the disc in the order that they were created, which will probably let you figure out which timeline will come next.

The trick with Encore 1.5 is to put a "dummy" chapter marker at the last GOP of each timeline. When the last "real" chapter is playing, pressing the Next button will navigate playback to the dummy chapter, and then the end action for the timeline will execute. Unfortunately, the Previous button won't work the same way.

Did you try letting Encore transcode the complete video?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

John Watts
Re: Sequence of Chapters
on Apr 4, 2008 at 3:44:24 pm

That idea sounds like it would work. However, I was able to get a single file encode and that solved the issue.

Encore is able to do the encoding but ProCoder makes the compression look much better. Plus I've had occasional glitches or hits in Encore encodes.

We've got a project coming up that will have many smaller files and the issue of sequence chapter surfacing would come into play. I will certainly try the dummy chapter point idea as a solution.

Thanks.

John Watts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]