FORUMS: list search recent posts

23.976 Progressive Transcoding issues

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adhish Yajnik
23.976 Progressive Transcoding issues
on Mar 22, 2008 at 7:54:19 am

This has been brought up in various forms, but hopefully I'll be able to address all facets of this rather annoying problem with Encore.

I exported my movie as a 23.976 Progressive DV AVI from Premiere (1.5). The instant I import into Encore (2.0), it gives me a popup saying "This is 23.976fps and needs to be transcoded immediately" It has a dropdown list of all the transcode presets and makes me choose one and press OK. If I press Cancel, it does not import the file.

I checked out my transcode presets and made a custom one that was Progressive. However, when I choose this preset to transcode my AVI, it changes it to 29.97 interlaced, and because of the frame-rate change, every third frame repeats, making the video appear jerky.

Then I tried to export an MPEG-2 straight from Premiere, with 23.976 Progressive, N frames 2, M frames 12. I got the same popup in Encore when importing.

Then I tried to just export the video as an MPEG-2 from Premiere, and I got the same popup, yet again.

Is there a way to either a) not have to transcode an MPEG-2 or b) transode properly to a 23.976 Progressive MPEG-2 in Encore?

~ Adhish

Return to posts index

George Wing
Re: 23.976 Progressive Transcoding issues
on Mar 22, 2008 at 3:19:28 pm

When you export to mpeg-2, is there an option from Premiere to add pulldown? (guessing that Encore requires the pulldown to avoid re-encoding).

If not Premiere doesn't encode with the pulldown, you could try using a utility such as dgpullown to add it to your file (use a small test file to see if the process will work all the way through so that Encore does not want to re-encode).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Adhish Yajnik
on Mar 22, 2008 at 6:13:22 pm

There is an option in Premiere where you can tell it to do a 3:2 pulldown.

Unfortunately, it interlaces the footage really strangely and doesn't get rid of the 3:2 stutter. I'm also not sure my DVD player has 3:2 Pulldown removal, so is there any way to get a 24p full frame video onto a DVD?

~ Adhish

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Mar 23, 2008 at 1:12:25 pm

On a Standard-Definition DVD, even 24 fps progressive video has to be stored as 29.97 fps interlaced video.

With proper pulldown added and a proper player, the player can "deinterlace" into full 24 fps progressive frames. But that is the player's task, not the author's.

Again, proper pulldown in the video stream is required, as well as having a player that can remove the pulldown.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Adhish Yajnik
on Mar 23, 2008 at 9:37:27 pm

Thanks, Jeff. It makes me wonder if Premiere or Encore's pulldown is somehow substandard then, because on any normal standard-definition commercial DVD for a real film like Jaws or Star Wars or something, the pulldown works fine and I can detect no pulldown, but with the DVDs that I'm making, I can still see the pulldown on a pretty new DVD player. Any ideas as to why that might be happening?

~ Adhish

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]