FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing Export File?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Elder
Missing Export File?
on Mar 18, 2008 at 9:18:11 pm

I just finished up another title, and everything went smoothly until the build, where is says:

Blu-ray object: "feature.m2v", export file not found

What does this mean?

Return to posts index

Adam Elder
Re: Missing Export File?
on Mar 18, 2008 at 11:09:39 pm

Update:

I figured it had something to do with the cache files that are created when importing the file initially, so I closed encore, changed the name of the target file, then re-linked the missing footage. It spent a half hour importing, so I figured I was good, but I still get the same error when trying to build. The timeline scrubs fine, the preview works.... So I just don't get it.

Return to posts index

Doug Beechwood
on Apr 4, 2008 at 12:55:57 am

I am getting the same missing export error. The only way to fix is to scrap the whole project -rebuild and hope that encore burns a disc.

No Rhyme - No reason.

Help!!

Return to posts index

Doug Beechwood
on Apr 4, 2008 at 6:33:29 pm

FIXED IT!

After 2 days of searching for similar problems I found it & fixed it.

Encore CS3 wants to work with "Elementary Streams". It will tolerate Quicktime files, but it doesn't reference them well when it goes to burn a Blu Ray disc. Basically it seems that Encore has an issue remembering the location and names of files that it has transcoded - even when it has just transcoded them as part of the burn process.

Really Frustrating - as it would work some of the time with some files and not work most of the time.

So - the Fix. It took a while to figure out WTF an "Elementary Stream" was (either an h.264, or M2v for video, and or ac3/aiff(PCM) for audio). In order to get an elementary stream in to Encore I set up a custom compression using compressor (3.0.2). Compressor will let you create an Mpeg-2 encoding template for Blu-Ray( Imagine that). I set up a VBR 2 pass encode with 39Mbit as the high, and 33 Mbit as the low.

Took 10 minutes to process that and an ac3 file from my original (muxed) Quicktime file ( uncompressed 10 Bit 1920x1080 @ 23.976psf). Compressor will auto-detect frame rates, but I found that too spooky, and opted to create settings for 23.98 fps, and interlaced footage.

Upon re-creation and re-import of my assets into Encore I successfully built an auto-play 1080HD 24P Blu-Ray disc! Ac3 audio seems to give less problems than aiff audio so far.

..so much for beta testing this $1500 piece of not ready for prime-time Macro-Dobe SH**%.
Maybe it will work someday with out all of the rocket science in footage preparation. Till then I'll stock with DVDSP for DVD's, and hope that not so many clients want Blu-Ray.

FYI - My setup: 8 core Intel Mac(1st Gen), 5 GB Ram, 10.5.2, CS3 Master Suite + FCP Studio 2. Most footage from HDCAM- ProresHQ + Uncompressed.

Return to posts index

Adam Bankhead
on Aug 21, 2008 at 4:34:01 am

Doug-

I'm glad you fixed the issue. But I am working with elementary streams and separate audio files. I've always done this. I've also rebuilt the project twice, and no matter how I rename, relocate, or replace footage, I always get this "missing export file" error. I believe it's something with the encode, but not necessarily an elementary vs. program stream issue. I have gotten several successful burns using identical encodes out of Compressor, and identical menu structures so I'm really clueless as to the problem here.

Just my 2 cents.

-Adam

Return to posts index

Doug Beechwood
on Aug 21, 2008 at 3:04:23 pm

Hello,

Encore again... Aaack :) I don't think this program deserves an encore performance just a one night showing and then it should close down.

OK - the "missing export file error" again. If you are already working with elementary streams then you should have the right stuff. Encore really prefers ac3 files to Aiff or Wav though. Although -it doesn't support 5.1 ac3's .. it downmixes those to standard 2.0.. another issue that baffles adobe tech support.

Is the project HD or Standard?
I gave up trying menus with encore because it doesn't currently support highlights for buttons in widescreen mode - which is every HD disc. You may be having a problem with missing graphics files in the menus. Remember Menus only work properly with this program in Standard 4x3 mode. Unless Adobe released a secret fix that they haven't told anyone about.

I ran across several posts about people having bad linking to the menus in encore. Menus made with photoshop apparently work better than encores own menus.

I had the same frustration with a project burning several times, and then loosing the links to the media. For copies I simply bought toast 9 and made an ISO of my Blu-ray disc, and burnt with the $30 blu-ray toast plugin.

Adobe help is actually quite easy to get a hold of. They seem very willing to try and help solve problems - unless they don't have a solution. They told me I would have to wait until the next release to get menu support for Blu-Ray.

Let me know what you find out. I am curious about the solution.

FYI - for menus I also tried to use Sonic DVD-IT pro HD on a PC. I wasted 2 weeks with that program and was still unable to burn a disc. For now HD menus aren't part of our workflow.

- db

Return to posts index

Adam Bankhead
on Aug 21, 2008 at 10:52:41 pm

Thanks for the reply, Doug.

I should have been more specific with my workflow. I wasted about 2 weeks trying to get menu highlights to show up on a Mac, only to find out that, indeed, menu button "selected" states will not show up. On a Mac, that is, and only when trying to author Blu-ray.

I must have proper menus, so I have now switched Encore for PC. Since I do not have a PC, I am using Encore on Parallels. It was on Parallels that I get the "error 6" message (which the msxml install seems to have fixed.)

I get error messages (can't remember what- it was something completely uninformative) when trying to burn straight out of Encore, so I make a BDMV folder, then take that into Toast 9 with the plug-in. Super easy with Toast- no problems at all.

I did fix my "export file not found" problem, but only by rebuilding the project from scratch a 3rd time. Again, I always use elementary streams with AC3 audio. (DVDSP actually likes AC3 better, as well.) The assets I used were not renamed in the last build. It was one of a 7-DVD (sorry-"BD") set with similar menus, and the "save as" and "relocate media" commands from within Encore worked fine for all the other discs, so I really can't say what I did differently.

But I haven't burned it yet- I just got through the BDMV build without error. One time I burned a BDMV and it played in a set-top player, but had "media offline" written all over in place of where the video asset was supposed to be, so I don't know if THIS one actually built properly- I'll post again after I burn it.

For Mac users especially, this whole business about not being able to preview your build before actually burning a disc really blows. The way I understand it, it was actually the Blu-ray committee- the people who decide all the details of the BR specification, that have made it impossible for non-HDCP compliant systems (that would be all Macs and most PCs) to play Blu-ray content. And even if you had an HDCP-compliant system, they have made it illegal for software manufacturers to allow users to play BDMV folders straight off of a hard drive. They assume the only reason anyone would have a BDMV folder on their hard drive is if they ripped it illegally.

Having to deal with 1 crappy program with no alternative on top of all that makes for an increase in the suicide rate. I feel we all should be compensated for doing Adobe's beta-testing. These problems are wasting many people's time and money. And sanity.

Anyone with better or additional knowledge of this subject please chime in.

Return to posts index

Dave Double
on Jan 23, 2010 at 10:22:32 pm

I just wasted two days doing all this only to find your thread. Man...I have been an Adobe user for 10 years now and they are driving to more then madness....Final Cut!

Encore is useless in the strongest use of the word. I'm trying to cut a Blu-Ray using .m2t files and it can't find my files...what's that all about!? For my own sanity I'm going to have to start looking in to different software.

Return to posts index

Andrzej Kosiecki
on Aug 29, 2012 at 8:44:42 am

Well, I had the same problem in Encore CS4, and solution after 3 days was... update my cs4 and all worked fine. For some reason cs4 doesn't do it automatically so You need to go Help-> Updates

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]