FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore rejects HD Footage

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Tompkins
Encore rejects HD Footage
on Mar 3, 2008 at 3:14:04 pm

I'm trying to create a Blu-Ray disc from an HD clip I have but no matter what I try, it won't take the clip.

Clip specs:
1280 x 720 .mov encoded in the Apple Animation Codec at square pixels
exported from AE as lossless

What it's doing:
-the footage is imported as an asset and placed in a timeline
-Encore things the footage is an SD clip, so it scales it down and adds interlacing
-this is counter to the projects settings I specified, which were Blu-Ray, 1280 x 720, 23.976fps
-when previewed, the footage then plays at the correct size, but visually looks terrible, as it has scaled it back up, but only after the previous modifications have been made, making it look very pixelated. the footage looks like this even after a burn on a TV

What I've tried:
-I've exported a Blu-Ray formatted MPEG2 and H.264 file from both Premiere CS3 and AE, both of which give the same result ( noted above )
-I've tried bringing in the raw Lossless file from AE and specifically setting up the transcode settings to the appropriate spec, but this still didn't work, both before and after transcode
-tried doing a "send" from Premiere, no luck, even after going into the Adobe Media Encoder settings to make sure
-I've tried it with multiple clips on multiple machines ( 2 PCs and one Mac ), all with the same result
-I've called Adobe, but they weren't able to figure the problem out.

My steps in Encore:
-start a new project, Blu-Ray, 1280 x 720, 23.976fps,
-choose import asset as timeline, choose file
-problem occurs

Am I missing a key step? Is there anything I should do to prepare my clip beyond what I've already done? I feel like I'm loosing my mind.

Please help.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Encore rejects HD Footage
on Mar 3, 2008 at 4:04:13 pm

Grant,

I tested dynamic link with an AE comp, and a QT .mov file with the animation codec, and both showed up in Encore being interpreted with PARs of 1.2 for SD NTSC widescreen footage. Both were 1280x720 square pixel assets.

Try File>Interpret Footage on the .mov file and set the interpretation to square pixels.

Does that help?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Grant Tompkins
on Mar 3, 2008 at 4:21:24 pm

changing the file interpretation only changed how the timeline appears, changing it from one aspect to another ( 4:3 to 16:9 ). The only way I've gotten it to recognize the square pixel ratio is to do an export to Blu-Ray from the render Q. When I import that file ( both MPEG2 and H.264 ), it sees the square pixels, but still not in HD.

I have to admit that I'm glad you're seeing this problem too. Makes me think I'm not that crazy after all.

Return to posts index

Grant Tompkins
on Mar 3, 2008 at 8:37:22 pm

I just found out what was happening. Encore's preview is terrible and doesn't reflect the quality of the streams. I encoded the files using AE and brought them into Encore. Since Encore didn't need to transcode them, it passed them directly to the disc. The key to this is to encode in something else.

I was used to DVD Studio Pro where it would show you exactly what your streams would look like instead of a proxy. Adobe should give some consideration to fixing this. Would clear up a lot of confusion.

After this experience, I'll definitely switch to Apple's solution when it comes out.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Mar 3, 2008 at 9:14:53 pm

[Grant Tompkins] "the footage looks like this even after a burn on a TV

What I've tried:
-I've exported a Blu-Ray formatted MPEG2 and H.264 file from both Premiere CS3 and AE, both of which give the same result ( noted above )"

So this was incorrect information? It's hard to help or even suggest things that might help if the initial information is inaccurate.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Grant Tompkins
on Mar 3, 2008 at 9:20:09 pm

i was basing the TV viewing off of an earlier build where Encore had done the encoding. Because it looked identical to what Encore was transcoding, I assumed it was doing this on my later builds. As it turns out, Encore's preview does this always, regardless of whether or not it transcodes the footage. You can see how this would be incredibly frustrating.

Does the HD preview do the same for you?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Mar 3, 2008 at 9:32:58 pm

I can see how it would be frustrating when you have an DVDSP background and you expect the preview to be WYSIWYG.

Encore's preview has historically (since version 1) been a tool only for rough checks of navigation and content functionality.

It's never been, or designed to be, WYSIWYG. It's also notoriously bad at keeping audio in sync with 23.976 fps source material.

My first reaction to your first post was that you should ignore Encore's preview and test burn a disc. But when I read the information above, I started trying to find other possible causes.

HD previews in Encore are less-than-stellar on my system as well.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]