FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help: Encore Adding Different Field Order

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mervin Fansler
Help: Encore Adding Different Field Order
on Feb 28, 2008 at 7:05:35 am

First off: I'm totally new to video encoding, so I'm not familiar with all the technical details of DVD encoding.

Here's what I perceive to be the problem as best as I understand it:

All my video files are already encoded (stats: MPEG-2, lower field order, NTSC, min/avg/max bitrate: 4/5.75/7 Mbs) before I bring them into Encore CS3. In the physical DVD though, my main menu, which uses one of the videos I encoded, consistently shows up as both lower and upper field order when I look in the VOB file. My chapter menu, which does not use any video, comes out as upper field order only. From what I'm told, older DVD sets tend to crash when hitting field order transitions, so I would like to get some uniformity through the entire project.

I've already tried changing the "quality settings presets" to match the encoding of my video files, so I would think that everything being automatically encoded should come out with those characteristics. Apparently, however, they are not.

Does Encore encode all its menus in upper field order no matter what?

Should I just re-encode everything in upper field order, or would it be fine if I only changed the menus to be upper only and the main movie to be lower only?

Are field order transitions really that dangerous?
--------------------------------
Other details

Flow: intro_movie -> looping_menu -> main_movie or--> chapter_menu

MUXing: Both the intro_movie and the video in the looping_menu are multiplexed, whereas the main_movie is not.

Testing: I've personally tested on half a dozen machines (two standalone). Only the crappy standalone has had problems (buffering in the main_movie section, not the menu), but I've had reports of other's tests which say that it won't run at all. (It's also been suggested to me that perhaps the field order transition can cause errors in other parts of the disc, but I have no clue whether that's true or not).

Any Ideas: please help

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Help: Encore Adding Different Field Order
on Feb 28, 2008 at 11:59:16 am

At best, even using the very best writable blank media, you can expect a compatibility rate for DVD players of about 80% - 90%.

For higher compatibility rates, you need to have a glass master made and the individual discs pressed from that master, just like Hollywood does. Expect high costs. $$$$

Don't be overly concerned about the upper/lower field order issue between menus and timelines. That's not the cause of the player incompatibility reports that you have received.

I recommend Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim blank media.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]