FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chapter treatment inconsistency

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Gledhill
Chapter treatment inconsistency
on Feb 14, 2008 at 11:06:33 am

Client only has Encore DVD 1.5 which apparently cannot be updated. Problem is that having created a DVD the ends of Chapters are treated differently on the same DVD. All have the same settings but some chapters stop at the end and displays the menu (which is what we want) but at another chapter ending it just runs straight though to the next chapter. I have even had it freeze at the end of a chapter. Any ideas?? URGENT!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Chapter treatment inconsistency
on Feb 14, 2008 at 2:38:48 pm

You mean you cannot upgrade to Encore CS3 without paying full retail price? That sounds odd and should be investigated.

Is each chapter a separate timeline? If so, check the override settings for the menu buttons that call the various chapters. Figure out how they differ and then correct them as necessary.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Stephen Gledhill
on Feb 16, 2008 at 12:37:20 am

I have had Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 for around three years – I just use it for hobby work, mainly family weddings – one or two commercial items. I purchased Adobe DVD 1.5 at the same time but never needed it until now.

I have recently accepted an order to edit down a number of DVDs of a young ballet dancer to create an audition DVD. There is a deadline of next week or she will miss the closing date!! There are four sections illustrating her dancing in different styles. I originally created a 15 minute continuous piece on Premiere to allow her to check the content. I then created four separate files – one for each chapter and converted them to AVI files (is MPEG2 any better?) and followed the “idiots” guide at the start of the Encore book.

I haven’t changed any settings so it should work. The menu template I used was “Radiant” menu. I have tried many things, using a different computer using the same AVI and later MPED2 files and doing the creation all over again, this time I didn’t edit the Radiant menu in case I had changed something –still the problem.

I contacted Adobe to find that 1.5 was not supported (why??) so I couldn’t get help from them. Refused to call me back even. I have telephoned Adobe lagin todat but although they promised on two occasions to call me back they can’t give me an upgrade price – only a price of $1500 approx for new set of software. I don’t believe that an upgrade will solve this but I may be wrong – at least I may get support. But I then resorted to Creative Cow.

You can see my problem and why (untypically) I am becoming concerned. Maybe some American friend could help me as a transatlantic display of our “Special Relationship”?!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 16, 2008 at 1:10:29 am

My bad on the upgrade - If you have PPro 1.5 you should be able to upgrade to PPro CS3 for $299US. PPro CS3 *includes* Encore CS3.

But you are probably correct - I don't think upgrading will help much with this problem.

I need to know a couple of things:

1. What is the end action of each timeline set to?

2. What is the link set to for each menu button?

3. Do you have any overrides set for the menu buttons or for the timelines?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Stephen Gledhill
on Feb 16, 2008 at 11:40:00 am

Here is the information requested by Jeff to help solve my chapter treatment inconsistency problem. Note that I am in England, hence the use of PAL rather than NTSC. I modified the supplied Radiant menu for this project. Is it possible there is a bug in that and maybe I could try a different menu option?? This is about the only thing I haven't tried.

1. What is the end action of each timeline set to?

Timeline End Action is "PAL_RadiantMenu:Default" for all four chapters

2. What is the link set to for each menu button?

The links go to each video segment in turn. Note that there is no problem in selecting a chapter - the chosen item appears. The problem is at the end of the chapter. On Chapter 1 it displays the menu page again ready to select another Chapter to view. This is what I want to happen. However at the end of Chapter 2 it just goes straight into Chapter 3 withput displaying the menu again - this should not happen.

3. Do you have any overrides set for the menu buttons or for the timelines

No everride set for Button or Timeline, it displays NotSet for Button and "greyed out" NotSet for Timeline.

Hope this helps in diagnosing things. I am especially puzzled as I have not made any changes to the default settings - the only change was to modify the menu in Photoshop to remove Chapters 5 & 6 which are in the supplied package.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 16, 2008 at 1:42:45 pm

Good Afternoon to you in England, Stephen. :-)

All the information you have given so far indicates that everything should function as you want it to.

A couple more questions, if I may - this is a process of elimination.

How are you navigating the DVD? By that I mean are you letting each chapter play to its end, or are you skipping through them with the Next button on the remote control?

If you are using the Next button in Chapter 2, then that would explain why you are getting the results that you are. If there are no chapter markers in a timeline (other than the first one at the beginning of the timeline), then many DVD players will skip to the next timeline when the Next button is pressed.

I think Encore's preview will do this as well, but it's been a long time since I used 1.5, and versions 2 and CS3 fix this issue automatically.

To fix this in 1.5, add a chapter marker at the end of each timeline (Encore may place it up to a half-second away from the end of the timeline). When the Next button is pressed, it will skip to this "dummy" chapter marker and allow the end action of the timeline to execute.

Regardless, though, please burn an RW disc (no coasters that way) and test it a hardware and a software DVD player, if you haven't done that already.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Stephen Gledhill
on Feb 17, 2008 at 6:59:01 pm

I haven't used the 'Next' feature on the players, I have used Fast Forward to approach the chapter end and then let it play normally through the transition. That's when I see the inconsistency. Would it help to add a chapter marker at the end of each timeline anyway?

I did burn some DVDs, many over the last few days. I have evaluated the burnt ones on two or three ordinary DVD players in my home – I haven't tried on a PC player – mainly because my client doesn’t expect the users to need that. I will try but I have been out all day recording a music competition. That won't need chapters thankfully.

I may just start yet again and take my four segments and use another menu template. To fault find I converted my Premier clips into both AVI and MPEG2 – may sound silly but I was trying to eliminate every variable. Which do you recommend, AVI or MPEG2 when I try again??

The other thing I haven’t tried is a different Encore menu template. I have edited with Photoshop 7 - that's quite old. Is that likely to corrupt anything in the template? I am trying any possible explanation now...

Whilst talking - I had a query. Can you select a mode in Encore to either go though the DVD complete from Start to Stop or stop at Chapter marks. I have just received a wedding DVD using that but haven't seen that menu choice in Encore.

One idea I had, maybe not possible, is if you could e-mail me a template with four chapters so That I could use something that you know works. If you can my address is steve.gledhill@gledhill-marketing.com

I really appreciate help on this, but as you realise I have tried everything and value additional help.

We are on GMT time here – how about you Jeff?

Return to posts index

Stephen Gledhill
on Feb 18, 2008 at 2:12:43 pm

I searched for some information and found an article in CreativeCOW "Building a Play All Menu in Adobe Encore DVD"

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kurkoski_tim/play_all.php

I have downloaded the menu (that should work) and will start to build up from the beginning. I can modify the emnu later if it works.

One question however, the menu has only three chapters, I need four. How do I add the extra one please??

Thanks

Steve

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 18, 2008 at 3:09:09 pm

Hi Stephen,

To add a new button, the easiest way is to Alt+Drag an existing button. That duplicates the existing button. Then link the new duplicate button as necessary.

Rather than me send you a menu that works here, it may be better for you to send me a copy of the existing menu that doesn't work so that I can dissect it.

If you decide to do that, my email address is jeff (Shift+2) bellunevideo (period key) com.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]