FORUMS: list search recent posts

CS3 Mac: Button highlights preview and show on computer but not set top player

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Jones
CS3 Mac: Button highlights preview and show on computer but not set top player
on Feb 9, 2008 at 1:19:30 am

Hi,

I have a pretty simple project on CS3 Mac Encore (all Apple & Adobe updates except Quicktime is 7.3.1). It consists of three menus which started as Photoshop files with the button overlays done in Photoshop.

I have been DVD authoring a long time on DVD Studio Pro and am an expert with After Effects, so though it is my first experience with the app, I had no problems setting up the DVD on Encore. It previews perfectly, and when I burn it to DVD, it plays perfectly on my Mac. However, when I tried to play it on two different set top DVD players (both high quality - one JVC and one Panasonic) the button highlights do not show up at all -- you can't tell at all which button is active.

I hunted through the posts here and at other forums, and the only suggestions that I have found are that it might be a corrupted project. I have tried trashing the preferences, repairing permissions, and rebooting, and the problem persists. It is a very new installation (I recently formatted the drive, and installed a fresh OS with Apple's suite and Adobe's suite because of the recent Quicktime 7.4 bug).

So... I will try to create a new project and see if this still happens. In the meantime, has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Graham Jones.

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
Re: CS3 Mac: Button highlights preview and show on computer but not set top player
on Feb 9, 2008 at 2:44:28 am

Just an update:

Tried on my Macbook Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, also with a freshly formatted boot drive, OS 10.5.1, QT 7.3.1, Final Cut Studio and Adobe Production Premium at the latest updates.

Started with a fresh project, simple Photoshop menu with overlays. Tests perfectly on the computer, but when I check on a set top player the button highlights do not appear.

Back to DVD Studio Pro... I can't afford to waste time on this with a pressing deadline. It's a shame, because when I have to take this project to Blu-Ray I'll need to bring it back to Encore.

- G.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: CS3 Mac: Button highlights preview and show on computer but not set top player
on Feb 9, 2008 at 3:06:31 am

Any chance the button bounding boxes (hit areas) overlap? Your symptoms are indicative of overlapping buttons.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Feb 9, 2008 at 3:24:10 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I wish it was that simple, but no, the buttons are nowhere near each other.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Graham.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 9, 2008 at 3:44:51 pm

If it won't violate privacy or copyright, can you post a screen shot of the Menu viewer with the problem menu loaded, and the "Show Button Routing" switch selected?

Otherwise, if you email me the .psd file that you used for the menu, I could take a look at it here. FTP is also an option if the file is > 10 MB.

My address is jeff(Shift+2)bellunevideo(the period key)com

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 9, 2008 at 7:57:39 pm

Okay, I got the menu and I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I added the menu to a new project, threw in a couple of makeshift timelines, linked everything up and burned a disc. It plays and navigates perfectly in my Sony set-top player.

Unfortunately, the fact that I was successful is also bad news, because it deepens the mystery of why you weren't successful.

Some things to consider:

1. In PS, don't bother with pretty graphic images or layer effects for the highlight layer - they just end up being 2-bit solid images anyway. Your button highlight layers have a nice rounded rectangle graphic and a drop shadow - don't do that.

2. On my Windows XP system, the graphic and drop shadow translated to an aliased gray blob with the same shape as the rounded rectangle graphic. Encore translated the fancy highlight layer that you created in PS into that gray blob, which is exactly what Encore is supposed to do.

3. Is that the look you were trying to get for the button highlights? If so, then try going back to PS and making the highlight layers into the gray blob *before* you import the menu into Encore. Who knows? There may be some difficulty with the translation of the fancy layers to the blob layers on the Mac side of things.

4. Are you using Encore to burn the disc? If not, what software are you using? (Assuming you created a disc image or a set of DVD folders in Encore and then used another program to burn the disc.)

5. What brand of blank media are you using? Rated burn speed versus actual burn speed?

Changing any or all of these conditions may help. Or it may not. Let us know.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Feb 9, 2008 at 8:15:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks for testing that out.

1. This started out using Photoshop files from a previous DVD Studio Pro project, and when I brought the overlays in to Encore and used semi-transparent color overlays they previewed well, so I just left them. I will try changing the overlays as you suggest.

2/3. As mentioned in #1, I apply a semi-transparent color overlay to make the gray blob look good. I'll blobbify them in PS as you suggest.

4. I've tried using Encore to burn it, and also using Encore to create a disc image and burning from that with Roxio's Toast. Both ways produce the same result.

5. I've tried Verbatim branded and non-branded 16x media - I never burn faster than 4x.

I'll test and post back. Thanks for all your help and feedback.

- Graham,.

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Feb 10, 2008 at 3:20:07 am

Hi Jeff, (also emailed)

Thanks for your help on this... I made the button highlight layers a rasterized solid black with no effects, and still no luck. I’m beginning to think it is a bug on the Mac version of Encore, especially since the highlights do work when I play the discs in a computer, implying that they are indeed on the disc, just something in the code is preventing my set tops from seeing the highlights.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Graham.

Return to posts index

Dean Lilly
on Mar 16, 2008 at 12:31:39 am

Hi there,

I am having the same issue!

Playback is fine on computer and PS2 machines but no go on other stand alone dvd players..

This is driving me nuts!

Has anyone managed to work out where the issue lies? I have tried everything possible to fix this issue, I have re built the menus etc and tried multiple types of media and no success..

My deadline is tomorrow and this is my only issue and a very frustrating one!

Thanks in advance...

Also I have no standard library menus to try out as I must not have installed them. I would be interested in just testing a library menu if someone could email me one for testing purposes?

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Mar 16, 2008 at 6:27:29 pm

Hi,

I had to abandon testing and rebuild in DVD Studio Pro, because of a deadline. Luckily, all of the Encore menus are Photoshop files and can be used in DVD Studio Pro without too much trouble.

- G.

Return to posts index

Dean Lilly
on Mar 18, 2008 at 10:31:27 am

Hi Thanks for the comment..

I discovered a few things in my nightmare process.

1, this is a mac issue... (hate to say it) FYI .. I am on Leopard 10.5.2 and encore 8.02, which was meant to correct leopard issues.

So I took my project over to a windows machine... Nice to know that the project files from mac to windows and vice versa do not open..!!

So after re building the DVD the windows version did not have the highlight issue...So job completed, but come on adobe!

Return to posts index

John Keane
on Apr 17, 2008 at 12:23:20 am

I also have the problem that highlights do not appear on a set-top player, but I am using Windows XP not MAC. For some projects it works, for some it doesn't. There seem to have been reports of this on several forums but I haven't seen a definite explanation yet.

Return to posts index

Marc Weakley
on May 1, 2008 at 7:17:03 am

Just building my first DVD with Encore on my new intel Mac with my new CS3 suite and...you guessed it...Same problem. I cannot finish my project as I chew up valuable time searching for a resolution.

As this seems to be a fairly significant issue has anyone got a definitive solution for this?

I am also having problems with Premier - but that's another story. It's just beginning to feel like Adobe have dropped the ball rejoining the Mac market.

(frustrated) Marc

Return to posts index

John Keane
on May 2, 2008 at 8:24:00 pm

Further to my post of 17 May, I am on PC not MAC but, as I said, symptoms are the same. I have done a lot of investigating to eliminate causes. I don't know the cause but I am convinced it has nothing to do with media or hardware. Once I get a good build I can build to any type or make of DVD -R -RW reliably and using either a Pioneer or a Lite-on drive. On the other hand a 'bad' build will reliably give the bad result on any media or drive. I also find the 'bad' build will sometimes work on a particular DVD player but not on another, though, as I said, a good one works everywhere. To get a good build I started from one of the sample menus and button types supplied by Adobe. That works. The failure was made from my own .psd menu background and buttons, etc. However, many times I repeat that and manipulate it I can't get it to work - though, of course, it works in the preview. I've read the manual many times. I suspect there is something going on in Encore that shows up unpredictably when a menu and buttons are heavily manipulated. Possibly an interpretation of the DVD specification has something to do with it.
Whatever the cause, Adobe check and preview is not performing its function of detecting the problem, so that's definitely down to Adobe whatever the root cause. I'm not sure I can take this any further.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 2, 2008 at 9:54:02 pm

[John Keane] "I'm not sure I can take this any further"

If you want better reliability for your finished DVDs, you must spend the money to get them replicated.

Burning has always been, and remains even today, a hit-or-miss proposition.

Book type, media, burner, firmware, burn speed, player type, player firmware and encoded bit rates can all have very negative effects on the finished product.

Think that's bad? Just wait until you try creating home-made (or office-made) Blu-Ray discs. Sony are probably laughing their executive hind-quarters off.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on May 3, 2008 at 1:46:54 am

Hi Jeff,

I have to disagree, and this is from years of experience... I've burned many thousands of DVD's authored with the nearly free iDVD and with DVD Studio Pro, and while there have been a very (stress "very") small number of discs not playable on clients' machines, I get around a 98% or 99% success rate, and the 1 or 2 % are most often because of clients using cheap players.

Compare that to a 0% success rate with Encore... If I pay the large sum of money for Adobe's authoring program I would like the discs it burns to play on at least ONE player.

And... I am very skeptical that the disc image I create in Encore will not have the issues if I get it replicated. To me there is obviously something that gets missed in the code it creates on the Mac side.

In case you doubt my success numbers, let me explain that with iDVD and DVD Studio Pro I always create a disc image and burn from the disc image rather than from the authoring program, I never burn faster than 4x (slower for replication masters), I always enable verification, I warn clients about using older or low quality players, and I always use the highest quality media.

Using the same safeguards with Encore always produces an unplayable disc.

- Graham.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 3, 2008 at 2:30:32 am

[Graham Jones] "In case you doubt my success numbers"

I have absolutely no reason to doubt the veracity of your statements. :-) To do that would be to essentially call you a liar, and that would be very poor form indeed. ;-)

Thanks for providing in-depth info on your workflow and results.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on May 3, 2008 at 2:36:36 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your comments; no problem.

- Graham.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on May 3, 2008 at 4:35:03 pm

Graham, I've never had any problems like you've described with a DVD burned from Encore. My success rate has been 100%.

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on May 3, 2008 at 6:10:36 pm

Hi Joe,

That's good news... sort of. Can we trade system specs and see what's different about your system? Obviously lots of Mac users are having the same symptoms as me, and we need to isolate what's causing this.

I have tried on:

- Mac Pro (Intel) 2xDual Core 2.66 GHz 8 GB Kingston RAM, Mac OS 10.5.1, QT 7.3.1, Adobe CS3 (no updates at the time-- this was about 2months ago), Sony & Pioneer internal burners.

- Macbook (Intel) Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz 2 GB Kingston RAM, Mac OS 10.5.1, QT 7.3.1, Adobe CS3 (no updates at the time-- this was about 2months ago), Matsushita internal burner.

- Dual G5/2.5 GHz 4.5 GB Kingston RAM, Mac OS 10.4.11, QT 7.3.1, Adobe CS3 (no updates at the time-- this was about 2months ago), Sony internal burner & external LaCie. Decklink SP card also installed, I think with 6.0 drivers at the time.

Media tried was Verbatim 16x, Maxell 8x, Fuji 16x, but always burned at 4X speed.

Thanks,
Graham.

Return to posts index

John Keane
on May 3, 2008 at 8:30:20 pm

I have to agree with Graham and disagree with Jeff. Putting problems down to a vague list of possible causes is not getting to the bottom of anything. (It's probably the sort of 'explanation' that Adobe like to hear.) The point I thought I had made was that a 'bad' encore build is bad whatever you do to write the DVD. A good one, for me anyway, works every time that I have re-built and written it on various media and drives. SOMETHING is going wrong BEFORE the DVD write, i.e. its in Encore which is why I can't take it any further. (I also have no such problems with other software such as DVDit using the same media and hardware.)
As a software developer for 25 years I can imagine the kind of thing that is probably going wrong but it's not practical for me to follow it up without access to Encore source code etc. The deafening silence from Adobe in the face of these reports on various forums is disappointing.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on May 4, 2008 at 10:37:47 pm

[John Keane] "Putting problems down to a vague list of possible causes is not getting to the bottom of anything."

You'd be surprised at the number of users who, by changing media, slowing their burn speed, updating the firmware on their burners or dropping the bit rate, make their problems go away. For them, that is the bottom of the problem.

I suggested those steps to Graham because, until he posted his "resume", I had no idea what his level of experience with Encore or DVD authoring was.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Nicholas Pollicino
on Dec 26, 2009 at 5:59:04 pm

I am having the same problem. Will creating a disk image and burning it in Toast solve the issue? I found the Encore DVD's work in all Blu-Ray players, Gaming consoles, and computers. But any older DVD player will not show highlights.

Return to posts index

Misha Manson-Smith
on Jul 15, 2008 at 10:16:23 am

Hi

Did this issue ever get resolved? I'm having the exact same problem - i.e. menu buttons don't show on set top players, but work fine on computers.

This is with a project that used to work fine when built on a PC, but now that I have rebuilt it all on a mac, it don't work.

Any thoughts most welcome!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Bowman
on Jan 9, 2009 at 12:57:43 am

Hey everyone. I know this post is like a year old but I stumbled upon it today when I had this problem and I found something that worked. I am using Encore CS4 on a Mac Pro running OS 10.4.11 Tiger. I'm authoring a simple wedding DVD with a static main menu and a static "Chapters" menu. In the Main Menu the simple underline highlight was not showing underneath the Chapters button but it was showing underneath the Play button. This only happened on all of the standard DVD players here in the office. I tried the DVD in our Blu-Ray player and it worked fine. After reading through this thread I checked to see the Highlight Area (or whatever you want to call the green box highlighting the button when you click on it in Encore) and noticed that the Chapters highlight button was below the Highlight Area. I went into Photoshop and moved the highlight layer up a few notches, saved the menu file, burned a new disc and it works fine. I know this probably might not help all of you but I hope it does, if not at least some.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]