FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to do this highlight effect with menu items?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Morgan
Is it possible to do this highlight effect with menu items?
on Feb 5, 2008 at 7:10:44 pm

Is it possible to have a roll over effect on a button appear underneath the fixed layer? For example, can I have an ink drop effect appear underneath the word 'play' on my menu? Because when I try to do this and set it up in Photoshop, with the highlight layer beneath the text, when i look at it in Encore it appears on top of the text, and looks wrong obviously. Is there a trick to this?

Return to posts index

Oliver Morgan
Re: Is it possible to do this highlight effect with menu items?
on Feb 6, 2008 at 3:32:57 am

I'm also having trouble with overlapping buttons. Because my menu options are at an angle and fairly close together, it doesn't seem to like this. Does this warning actually pose a problem for the functioning of the DVD? I can see in the preview that the correct highlight is activated when i put the mouse over it, so i'm wondering if the overlap warning is actually concerning the activation part of the button, or just the area that it takes up?

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
on Feb 6, 2008 at 6:09:18 pm

I don't know if it is technically possible to have a highlight appear beneath another layer, but there is possibly a way you can fiddle it to make it look like this is what is happening. Incorporate the button text, or whatever the button is, into the subpicture. Then put this on top of the button. When you highlight the button, you'll actually be seeing the subpicture, and not the original button.

Return to posts index

Oliver Morgan
on Feb 6, 2008 at 6:14:46 pm

Thanks. You're right, this would work, although highlight layers don't seem to be able to maintain any of the blending effects my text has, so it looks different when you roll over it. I've seen professional menus that do this, but no doubt they are using pro software like Scenarist to achieve these kind of effects. It doesn't seem possible in Encore, short of something rather crude.

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
on Feb 7, 2008 at 11:12:07 am

Hi Oliver,

When I have blending mode issues, I just export my menu comp (minus subpictures) from AE as a jpeg (or a movie if it has motion elements) and set it as a bg to the menu in encore. The menu in encore would be a psd of the same comp from AE but with only the subpicture elements.

Hope this works for you too.

Simon

Return to posts index

Aileen Ye
on Feb 29, 2008 at 8:13:27 pm

Hi Oliver,

In your psd file, take all of your buttons out of the button folders and place them on top of your the bg layers.

Then only place your highlight layers <(=1) highlight> in your button <(+)chapter 1> folders.

This way Encore reads your buttons as bgs and you will still be able to achieve highlights for your buttons.

However there are shortcomings. Encore will still convert whatever image you use for your highlight to basic 2 bit imgs. I tend to illustrate the details in the button layers and just use a simple white transparency for the highlight layers.

I can send you samples if you'd like.

Hope this helps you.

Aileen

Return to posts index

Jae Ahn
on Feb 28, 2009 at 5:46:42 am

I am still not sure to deal with Encore 2.0 professionally. Regarding the issue above, I modified the template(menu) PSD file in the Encore and changed the button to my own design with blending effect(color overlay, bevel and drop shadow), and flattened and imported to the template(menu) PSD file in the Button folder(above the (%) Video). Set the highlight button named (=1) Highlight, but the effect doesn't work at all in my Encore project. Even when followed the instruction by Aileen, the whole colour of the button has changed to the original template button colour.
I feel it is very weird. Please let me advised what I did wrong. Or is this any kind of Encore bug? Aileen, can you send me any samples if it helps? Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]