FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Menu Challenge

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlos sanchez
DVD Menu Challenge
on Jan 22, 2008 at 9:33:39 pm

Hi, I been trying to recreate a DVD menu I saw on youtube. However Encore CS3, shows me some red boxes because the buttons are too close to each other and also because i made the writting on the bottom as a (=1) highlite for every button. The writting will show something different each time a picture is highlited. Can any of you brave experts help me please.

Here is the link to what the menu looks like

Thanx

Return to posts index

John Rich
Re: DVD Menu Challenge
on Jan 23, 2008 at 3:17:14 pm

One way to do it might be to make eight different menus and use auto-activate to connect them. Check out a tutorial by Dave Garrett (google "Doogs" ) called "full color subpicture highlights" under the Encore 1.5 section, for a nice discussion.
I never used the second menu that Dave uses here for the "activated" state" and it seems to work ok.

John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Michael Eschbacher
on Jan 23, 2008 at 6:57:42 pm

The red boxes that are showing up are because the buttons are too close together, as you know. I way to get around this is to not include the entire snapshot as a button. What might be the best way to keep most of the picture in the button "area" is to create an "empty" layer for each button in Photoshop and not include the actual polaroid in the layer set. With the "empty" layer, create a box and set the fill to zero. In Encore, resize that layer to take up how big you want the actual clickable area for the button to be. If you have problems understanding this let me know and I should be able to send you a PSD that shows the technique a little bit more.

Return to posts index

Michael Eschbacher
on Jan 23, 2008 at 7:29:02 pm

Nevermind most of what I said in that post. Take the white part of the polaroid out of the layerset though. Leave the layer that takes the video and the highlight. That should make the button small enough so that it doesn't interfere with it's neighbors.

Return to posts index

carlos sanchez
on Jan 24, 2008 at 2:06:47 am

I appreciate your help, would you be able to send me that psd, please.

Thanx alot

Return to posts index

Michael Eschbacher
on Jan 24, 2008 at 3:10:47 am

http://www.freewebs.com/pilotdvd/Polaroid%5FMenu.psd

Hopefully clicking on that will let you download a sample I did pretty quickly. Hopefully that gives you some guidance.

Return to posts index

carlos sanchez
on Jan 24, 2008 at 11:37:51 pm

Still doesn't work, what I am most interested in is when highliting a button the text will appear on the bottom left corner with a title of what the polaroid is. See link for an example menu, check towards the end were you hoover the mouse over a polaroid text appears down below in the bottom left corner and the text in the polaroid disapears, i now how to make it disapear, but i need help in making the other text appear. I watch the tutorail and have tried the psd file but i am still strugling. please help

Thank you

Return to posts index

Michael Eschbacher
on Jan 25, 2008 at 1:22:58 am

Okay, I wasn't quite sure which aspect you were going for, but now that I know.. here's what you do.

As John pointed out, the best approach is to create a separate menu for each button that is selected. For instance, if you have 8 polaroids, then you will have 8 menus.

In each menu, the text in the lower left will not be in any layer sets and it will reflect which button is selected.
Also on each buttons menu, set it up so that it will have a moving video in the picture while the others are all stills.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jan 25, 2008 at 5:59:54 am

[carlos sanchez] "See link for an example menu, check towards the end were you hoover the mouse over a polaroid text appears down below in the bottom left corner and the text in the polaroid disapears"

If you are using auto-activate buttons to do a "switched menu" technique, then don't hover your mouse pointer over a button. Use the navigational arrows instead (up/down/left/right).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Jan 25, 2008 at 4:23:04 pm

I

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Jan 25, 2008 at 4:23:09 pm

I was just messing around with this, and to me it appears that one cannot have a video button on either side of the menu with the " selected button" as the button link has to go to another menu with autoactivate selected. However, if you have eight buttons, then 6 of them could have button motion.

YOu might be able to get around this, by creating short clips of your destination movie for the two contiguous buttons, and then shrinking them in Preiere or AE and using this as a motion background. I think I'll put this together as a screen capture, and if you want to see it let me know.
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Jan 25, 2008 at 4:24:11 pm

I was just messing around with this, and to me it appears that one cannot have a video button on either side of the menu with the " selected button" as the button link has to go to another menu with autoactivate selected. However, if you have eight buttons, then 6 of them could have button motion.

YOu might be able to get around this, by creating short clips of your destination movie for the two contiguous buttons, and then shrinking them in Preiere or AE and using this as a motion background. I think I'll put this together as a screen capture, and if you want to see it let me know.
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Jan 25, 2008 at 4:24:16 pm

John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Jan 25, 2008 at 4:24:41 pm

John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Jan 25, 2008 at 4:24:42 pm

John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Jan 25, 2008 at 4:28:46 pm

Sorry, don't know what happened here, but perhaps the moderators can remove all but one of these posts I accidently just made.
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

carlos sanchez
on Jan 27, 2008 at 5:05:57 am

Hi, Jonh I appreciate your help and everyone elses help; would you be able to show me how to get around the problem with the animations, please.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Scot Sheely
on Jan 27, 2008 at 7:35:44 pm

Carlos,

The missing ingredient in this equation is the before now unmentioned ninth menu, which was executed so flawlessly that it was nearly transparent in its function - not in the connotation of layer / menu visibility, just its function.

Take a very close look at the beginning of the DVD menu playback, especially at 1:01. In this section, you will see the words "Sonali Gulati" in the lower right-hand corner.

Take notice of the fact that no menu item is selected; this is our first clue at unraveling this mystery. Since it fades in and out, it is part of an animated BG, not a subpicture highlight text object. Consider this to be the "First Play" menu. It is using a simple "Play Once" function, then is set in its "End Action" to automatically lead into the actual menu #1.

When the first menu actually appears at around 1:13 ("Sum Total"), notice that the first menu item is automatically selected and that the text beneath the "picture" disappears. This is our next clue as to the function of the menu navigation. This same function is maintained throughout the remaining menus.

Without examining the actual DVD, it is hard to tell if their are 9 or 10 menus. It may be that the First Play leads into a full menu, which we will call Menu 0 ("Menu Zero"), which, once a menu item is selected, leads into the subsequent menus. In my best estimation, I believe he is using 10 menus for the navigation and opening animation.

It is important to understand and fully comprehend the Autoplay function to make this effect work properly. From the "Menu 0", you need to set the navigation to any other menu as autoplay to make the transition between menus as smooth and transparent as possible.

Once and item is selected and the DVD player's remote "Enter", "OK" or "Select" button is pushed, it is no longer desirable to use the autoplay function. Just set this as you normally would with any other DVD menu selection to play the actual video.

I have used this effect quite a few times in the last 2-3 years, but with a different twist than Sonali did here in the example you provided the link to. Just for perspective, take a look at a simpler, yet similar menu design I did in 2006:

http://www.digitaljuice.com/dj_showcase/detail.asp?page=1&portfolioid={7899...

Notice that the heart, which is the menu pointer icon, never stops beating. This function is maintained through all of the menu navigation, and the heart moves up or down to the corresponding text. The background is also animated, which also continues throughout every menu selection.

Although I did not demonstrate the menu navigation, only the animation aspects, it works in the same way that Sonali's menu design does.

The one caveat to all of this that has yet to be spoken is that all of this takes a tremendous amount of pre-production planning to execute properly. Also, note that burned DVD's tend to lag just a bit longer than replicated DVD's in the naviation between different menus. In most cases, your clients won't really notice the jump, but to most of us in this industry, that small bump can seem like a mountain at times.

If you get stumped, or just need some help on any particular aspect of pulling this off, feel free to call me at my studio at 803-708-8043. I am in the EST / EDT on the East Coast (USA), and you are welcome to call anytime from 8:00 AM until midnight, 7 days a week.

Scot Sheely
IMG -Interactive Media Gurus
Columbia, SC

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Jan 28, 2008 at 1:18:16 am

Carlos,

I put this together which might help with what you want. It ran longer than I originally thought, so I split it into four.
The web site is jmrser.com and look under tutorials and the tutorial called the Four Little Movies. I made it with Camtasia and you may need to download the codec from the Camtasia web site (Google it) to see them.
Let me know if it helps.
PS For some reason I couldn't get the picture to come up you posted over at the Photoshop Basics area. Am I doing something wrong there?
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Sonali Gulati
on May 6, 2009 at 6:39:38 am

wow! I didn't realize that my DVD menu design was being dissected here until one of my students directed me to this page.
Well, to answer your question, the part where my name shows up and fades out is something I did in Final Cut Pro and it's the tail end of the intro movie that you see. The menu starts with selecting sum total etc. There is one main menu with 8 buttons. When one selects the button, the name of the film vanishes from the polaroid image and shows up at the bottom and a short looped clip from the film plays within the polaroid button. when one hits enter, the menu disappears and the film plays.
This DVD menu was created using Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, and Adobe Photoshop.

Sonali Gulati
http://www.sonalifilm.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]