FORUMS: list search recent posts

Option to play with "deleted scene"

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Burriss
Option to play with "deleted scene"
on Jan 3, 2008 at 8:36:43 pm

Hi,

I'm putting a film onto dvd and want to give viewers the option to play the film with / without a deleted scene.

I have a timeline with the main film on it, and another with the deleted scene. Is there a way of playing the main timeline up until the appropriate chapter point, sending the viewer to the deleted scene timeline, then back to the main timeline when it's done?

Or, should I make a whole new timeline, with the deleted scene inserted into the appropriate place? If I do this, will I have to render the main film into two files (the part before the deleted scene, and the part after) in order to be able to insert the deleted scene?

Also, if i make another timeline, will the amount of info on the project increase (i.e. by the size of the film over again) - I don't think it will, just making sure.

Sorry for all these questions, and thanks for your help
Rob

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Option to play with "deleted scene"
on Jan 3, 2008 at 9:54:20 pm

[Rob Burriss] "I have a timeline with the main film on it, and another with the deleted scene. Is there a way of playing the main timeline up until the appropriate chapter point, sending the viewer to the deleted scene timeline, then back to the main timeline when it's done?"

Yes. Set the end action of the chapter before the one where you want the deleted scene to begin playing to link to the deleted scene timeline. Then set the end action of the deleted scene timeline to the chapter in the main timeline where you want the film to resume.

Be aware that there will be slight pauses in playback when the scenes shift like that. The only way to avoid that is to make a second version of the film and include that. But, as you feared, it will double the disc space required.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Rob Burriss
on Jan 4, 2008 at 10:24:14 am

Thanks for the response. Just to clarify, will I have to set the end action for the preceding chapter in a new timeline (a timeline made specifically for the purposes of playing back the deleted scene)? I assume that if I set the end action to play the deleted scene in the main timeline, the viewers will always be sent to the deleted scene, regardless of which option they select. Does that make sense?

Rob

Return to posts index

Matt king
on Jan 4, 2008 at 11:35:17 am

yes your right.
You would have to duplicate the main timeline for that to work, so that one version was normal and one with chapter actions to the deleted scenes, but this also doubles up the space.
i think to get what you want to achieve is beyond encore.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jan 4, 2008 at 12:43:24 pm

This might work (off the top of my head...)

Make two timelines:

#1 - Main timeline until the cutover
#2 - timeline that has both the deleted scene and regular main title ending (put a chapter mark at the end of the deleted scene)

End of MAIN-TIMELINE points to Timeline #2 - Chapter mark for regular ending

Two menu buttons:

No Deleted Scene Button: points to Main Timeline
Deleted Scene Button: points to Main Timeline, but add "Override" to point to Start of Timeline #2

NOTE: as mentioned earlier in this thread, there will be a slight pause between Timeline #1 and Timeline #2 (regardless of regular or deleted-scene version)

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 4, 2008 at 2:04:17 pm

George's idea is a good one. It made me rethink my earlier (incorrect) response.

But rather than an override, and rather than 2 timelines, try this:

1. Make a "master" version of the film that includes the deleted scene.

2. In Encore, put the master version in a timeline. Add chapter points as desired, but make sure to at least put a chapter marker at the beginning of the deleted scene and one at the end of the deleted scene.

3. Create a chapter playlist that includes all of the chapters except for the deleted scene chapter.

4. Create another chapter playlist that includes only the deleted scene chapter.

Link them up to the menu as follows:

a. "Deleted scene" button links to the chapter playlist with only the deleted scene chapter.

b. "Movie with deleted scene" button links to the main timeline.

c. "Regular movie version" button links to the chapter playlist that has all of the chapters except for the deleted scene.

Notes:

1. There will be a pause (and a very slight one at that) *only* for the regular version of the movie when playback skips the deleted scene chapter. It will be a much shorter pause (if it is noticeable at all) than a pause that would occur when jumping between timelines.

2. This method only works with Encore 2.0 or CS3. I don't recall if you mentioned what version you were using.

3. The pauses in Encore's preview are longer than on an actual disc. Use an RW disc to test your project.

Thanks, George, for pointing me in the right direction.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Rob Burriss
on Jan 4, 2008 at 2:47:32 pm

Thanks all for your detailed and informative responses,

I will render out a master version of the film overnight and test Jeff's method. George's method, though requiring 2 timelines, would also not be too wasteful of space given that my deleted scene fits in near to the end of the film.

I had not heard the term chapter playlist before, but it makes sense to use these.

Thanks again,
Rob

Return to posts index

Rob Burriss
on Jan 7, 2008 at 5:36:41 pm

Thanks Jeff,
This method worked a treat.
Rob

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune