FORUMS: list search recent posts

Authoring anomaly? Or just the bizarre nature of dvd9?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce David Janu
Authoring anomaly? Or just the bizarre nature of dvd9?
on Jan 2, 2008 at 9:29:25 pm

Hi all,

I have a problem with a recent project. I used Adobe Encore 1.5 to created a dvd9 disc. Unfortunately, the replication company could not read the dlt's that I sent them for the project; I ended up sending several copies, but all failed pre-mastering (yet the drive is okay).

The replication company was able to lift the project from a burned dvd9. I heard that this is not always best, but it was my only choice at that point.

I ordered 1000 dvd's and they arrived and looked great. And they played well too--that is, until I tried it on a Sony dvd player.

On some Sony dvd players the film skips a few frames at 5 minutes and 13 seconds into the main feature. This seems to be a problem mainly on Sony dvd players. On most other brands, it plays flawlessly. On one cheaper Phillips and Orion model, however, there is a very brief pixelation at that point--but it seems to only skip on Sonys.

The replication company ran tests and could not find anything on the discs or the masters. It's not a layer break problem. They believe it may be a quirky problem with the authoring software.

I can't figure it out. Burned dvd9 discs of the project do not have that anomaly---and the anomaly does not appear all of the time in all dvd players.

Any ideas? I have talked to some people who think I should re-author the project using a different program.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce David Janu

Bell, Book & Camera Productions

Facing Sudan

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
Re: Authoring anomaly? Or just the bizarre nature of dvd9?
on Jan 2, 2008 at 11:33:07 pm

Bruce I ran into the very same thing recently.

I finally got around it by creating a drive image then burning it at different speeds on 3 different brands of disc until they found one that worked. (Shotgun Approach=Sheer Desperation)

As for them not playing on all Brands of DVD player that truly is a DVD 9 authoring anomaly. I know of some housees that use 6 different brand to check every disc and are thrilled if 5 out of 6 work with DVD 9.

Return to posts index

Bruce David Janu
on Jan 2, 2008 at 11:53:40 pm

Thanks Dan. Next time I think I will output a dvd folder and then master the ddp in Gear---or, not use Encore and learn another authoring program that gives more options.

As for the anomaly on the dvd, the replication facility thinks it might be an issue with Encore---that Encore has done something to the file at that point that is more susceptible on Sony players.

I, myself, have know idea.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jan 3, 2008 at 2:03:46 am

Is there anything "different" at that specific time (5-min 13-sec)? Perhaps a chapter mark, or when you encoded was there a transition or anything at (or near) that mark?

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Bruce David Janu
on Jan 3, 2008 at 2:38:12 am

No, nothing.

It is an image--a still photograph of a face with motion applied--the camera moves from her chin up to her head. It is halfway through the motion that it experiences a skip (but only on select dvd players).

I am going to run an analysis on the original file to see if there is a dropped frame or anything like that. Like I said, it only happens on selected dvd players.

What I can't understand is that the original burned dvd9 disc does not experience the same thing on these players. However, the replication facility claims that the replicated disc is an exact copy and that both the original, the master and the replicated discs all play the same on their players.

To me, this sounds like a replication issue and not an Encore issue. So I am at a loss. Before I confront the company further, I want to completely rule out Encore.

Then again, dvd9s can be rather quirky.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

LowrySam
on Jan 3, 2008 at 3:42:42 pm

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when I read this.

I went round and round with a Sony tech about this very same problem. He was telling me useful things like "unplug your DVD player for 60 seconds" or "make sure the disc is not dirty". Pure comedy.

But, I am having the same problem with regular 4.7GB DVDs. They skip at the exact same place on every copy on ANY Sony player I try (different models). This has actually burned me on a live show playback (I know. I shouldn't be doing a live playback from DVD anyway.).

My workaround? I take the exact same .m2v and .wav files and send them to my partners edit bay. He has a SONY CD/DVD recorder, I have HP DVD 740i. He uses Encore 1.5, I use 2.0. He burns the disc. No problems on any players, Sony or otherwise. I still don't get it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]