FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making video go back to scene selection menu

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Belinda Edwards
Making video go back to scene selection menu
on Jan 2, 2008 at 5:05:13 am

I have a scene selection menu that I click on a button, which takes me to a chapter on the timeline. The video plays, and at a certain time I wish it to go back to the scene selection menu, but no matter what I try, it won't go back to the scene selection menu. I put another chapter point down the line, and assigned it as the end point, but it just keeps playing past that point. What could I be doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Jean-Luc Oudin
Re: Making video go back to scene selection menu
on Jan 2, 2008 at 8:47:37 pm

In your chapter point properties, link the OVERRIDE back to your
scene selection menu. That should take care of your problem.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 2, 2008 at 11:58:54 pm

[Jean-Luc Oudin] "In your chapter point properties, link the OVERRIDE back to your
scene selection menu. That should take care of your problem."

No, it shouldn't. And the use of overrides as a workflow will generally cause more problems than it will ever solve.

Never use overrides unless you absolutely, positively, can't accomplish your disc navigation any other way. And the possible scenarios where that would be the case are extremely rare, indeed.

If Belinda followed my instructions in an earlier post on how to make Chapter End Actions work, they should be accomplishing what I think she wants to do. That she is having trouble is most likely caused by assigning an end action to the wrong chapter point, but I can't tell for sure without more details on exactly how the navigation is currently set up.

More details, please, Belinda. ;)

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Belinda Edwards
on Jan 3, 2008 at 12:04:57 am

I don't know why, that doesn't work either. I have put a chapter point where I want video to start, and that is linked to button #1. I put another chapter point, say 1 minute down the timeline, where I want video to end, and I link that to end action. That doesn't work. I use the over ride to scene selection menu, and it just keeps playing past that point.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 3, 2008 at 12:18:04 am

[Belinda Edwards] "I have put a chapter point where I want video to start, and that is linked to button #1. I put another chapter point, say 1 minute down the timeline, where I want video to end, and I link that to end action"

Think of it like this: the chapter end action tells the DVD player where to go next after the current chapter finishes playing. If you point the end action to a menu, the player jumps to the menu and displays it. If you point the end action to a timeline, the player jumps to the timeline and then plays it. If you point the end action to a chapter in a timeline, then the player jumps to that chapter and begins to play it.

If the chapter that is the link of the end action is the very next chapter in the current timeline, then when it begins to play it looks like the end action was ignored (it wasn't) and that the video just kept right on playing.

You need to set the chapter end action to the scene selection menu.

Let us know if that fixes the issue for you.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jan 3, 2008 at 2:07:53 am

Also, when testing your DVD, do not hit NEXT on your remote (or software player). Just let it play through to see if it is working properly...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Belinda Edwards
on Jan 3, 2008 at 7:31:29 am

I think that maybe there is a misunderstanding somewhere. If I go to the scene selection menu, and press "Vows" button, it does go to the wedding video and play the scene where they say their vows, and it will play all the way to the end of the video of the whole ceremony, and then return to the scene selection menu. But what I want is for them to say their vows, and after their vows, go back to the scene selection menu. I do not want them to have to watch the whole rest of the video, just their vows, and then back to the ss menu, ready to chose another chapter. I understand the process of end action meaning what to do at the end of the video. I want just a short section to play, only, and then return to menu.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jan 3, 2008 at 12:54:50 pm

That's what Jeff is trying to tell you -- change the END-ACTION for the VOWS Chapter to go back to the SS Menu.

The tricky part is if you also need a "Play All" Button to play the entire video...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Timothy Greeson
on Jul 20, 2010 at 6:49:28 pm

So how tricky is it to have a play all button that enables the video to play in full without being interrupted by the chapter end markers?

Thanks,

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 3, 2008 at 3:01:29 pm

I think the misunderstanding is that you and I are talking about different end actions.

I am talking about chapter end actions, and if I am not mistaken, you are talking about the end action for the timeline.

Give my previous post(s) a very careful read once more. :-)

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Belinda Edwards
on Jan 3, 2008 at 4:53:22 pm

Okay, I got it done. (bet you're happy). I was putting a chapter marker at the beginning of the video, and one where I wanted the video to end. Then I was putting an end action to the last one, instead of the first one. Thanks for all the help again!!!! I can only learn by trial and error, I guess. Thanks for the patience.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 3, 2008 at 5:00:06 pm

You're welcome. :-)

I am happy, but not for me. I'm happy that you got your project working.

Good luck on future projects!

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Belinda Edwards
on Jan 3, 2008 at 6:46:22 pm

One last (I hope) question. I just burned the disc, and played it back.
I have main menu with the following buttons: Scene Selection, Ceremony, Reception, & Extras.
I have the scene selections menu with the following buttons: Vows (associated w/Ceremony), Entrance, Toasts, & Dances (all associated w/Reception). On the scene selection menu, all work fine now, BUT, when I am trying to play either the Ceremony video, or the Reception video in their entirety, in the main menu they won't, because they go to the chapter points that was associated with the scene selection menus, stop & go to the scene selection menu. Is there a way that they can play in their entirety on the main menu, but still the way they are in the scene selection menu?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 3, 2008 at 7:22:12 pm

Chapter Playlists.

Because you have chapter end actions, there will be a slight pause during playback of the playlist that ranges in length from nanoseconds to obnoxiously long (depending on which hardware DVD player is playing the disc).

The pause will be invisible to the audience if you have transitions like fade to black and audio fade outs between chapters.

The alternative is to remove all of your chapter end actions from the chapters in the main timeline, and link the "Play All" button to the timeline.

Then create an individual chapter playlist (one chapter per playlist) for each of the scenes in your scene select menu, and link the menu buttons to the new playlists.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Belinda Edwards
on Jan 3, 2008 at 8:02:56 pm

Or the other alternative would be to delete all the ending chapter markers in scene selection and not put end actions on the starting chapter markers, and then the button would take them to the scene, but have to watch all the way from there, right?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 3, 2008 at 9:19:43 pm

That would work, but you would get a different result than what you have been asking for.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Scott Hardin
on Jul 14, 2009 at 4:39:45 am

Hi, I am having a similar problem as Belinda, but with a couple of differences. First, I am using Encore 1.5. Second, I have a link that is doing doing something very strange. It is the first play, a short video/audio clip, and after it plays I have it set to go to the main menu. However, it goes to the middle of a track well into the project. No matter what I do with the clip, it goes to the same place after it is done playing. I tried to put the clip in its own menu and when it was done playing, it went to the same middle of the project track. I did the things Jeff described in his post, but even when I tried the override method, after it was done playing, it still went to the same track. I just cannot figure out what the problem is. Thanks for any help....I know this is an old version and maybe everyone is rusty.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jul 14, 2009 at 1:15:36 pm

Hi Scott,

None of the stuff in Encore 2.0 or CS3 or CS4 that makes navigation easy is available in 1.5. So there's not much in this thread that will apply to you.

So it's back to basics. Remove every single override that is set anywhere in your project and test the navigation again.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Scott Hardin
on Jul 15, 2009 at 4:16:05 am

Jeff, thank you for the fast reply! I went through the entire project and indeed there were four overrides (all associated with button function), which I removed as you recommended. I figured that would do it, but, unfortunately, when I previewed the project, it did the exact same thing it was doing before I removed the overrides (but I am glad I took the time to get the overrides out since it sounds like these really cause a lot of problems with 1.5). I am relatively certain I have removed all of the overrides (I checked it a third time and everything was OK). Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jul 15, 2009 at 12:18:17 pm

So I need more details about the project structure.

From what I understand, the first play timeline's end action is linked to the Main Menu, but instead of going to the Main Menu it goes...where? Please outline the rest of your project structure.

Also, when you preview the first play timeline, are you using File | Preview or are you using Preview From Here? Try the other one and see what happens.

Have you tried burning your project to an RW disc and testing in a hardware DVD player? How about building a disc image and then mounting it with something like VirtualCloneDrive or Daemon Tools and playing the DVD with a software DVD player? Maybe it's an issue with Encore's preview only.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Scott Hardin
on Jul 18, 2009 at 1:55:35 am

Jeff, I tried both preview methods and they both do the same thing. I also tried to burn a disc and build a DVD folder, but each one of those gave me an "Unknown error" dialogue box after about 2 minutes and stopped burning the disc or building the folder.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jul 18, 2009 at 2:16:11 am

It could be a problem with one or more menus. Do a Save As and give the new saved project a different name.

Delete the first menu from the project and add a new one. It doesn't matter which one, this is only for testing.

Link the first play timeline to the new menu and preview. What happens?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Scott Hardin
on Jul 15, 2009 at 4:50:12 pm

Jeff, The project is a 3 GB video of questions and answers for a 34 chapter biology course. The main menu is a seven button listing to link to chapters 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc. Those links then take you to a screen with five buttons to chose the specific chapter, and then when you chose the chapter link, it goes to another menu to chose an idividual question to play. Once a question is selected to play, it plays all the way through the end of the timeline unless the viewer stops it. Each submenu has a back button and a main menu button, as well. The first play is an 8 second video/audio clip of our logo that should then default to the Main Menu, but instead it jumps to the Q/A either of question 19, 20 or 21 in chapter 28.

I am pretty certain that every time I have previewed it, I have done so through the File Preview method. I haven't used the Preview from Here on this project. I also have not tried any of the other suggestions you have, but I will do so and see what happens. It may take me a little while as I am not a video guy and am just slogging through this (with your excellent help) the best I can. I will repost when I have tried your suggestions and let you know what happens (unless you have any other ideas after reading the way the presentation is structured). Thank you for your ideas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]