FORUMS: list search recent posts

"file exists" error

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MikeyBee
"file exists" error
on Dec 26, 2007 at 8:29:48 pm

One day, I open up an Encore 2.0 project to make some more copies of a DVD for my client. Everything has been left as is from the last time I burned a DVD with that project. This time, Encore begins to build the DVD, and while it's rendering a motion menu, it stops completely at the end and says "file exists". And that's all. What the heck does that mean and how can I fix this? I tried pre-rendering it but still get the same message.

Thanks,
Mike Browning

Return to posts index

Mike Browning
Re: "file exists" error
on Dec 28, 2007 at 2:04:38 am

I fixed the problem after some more proving. So if you looked at the original message and couldn't answer because you either didn't know or haven't encountered it, this is for you.

Usually in Adobe products, a lot of problems are fixed simply by clearing the cache. I didn't find an option to do so in Encore, so I had to do it manually. For the motion menus and other animations, go into the project's "source" folder and then into the "menu" folder and delete the .mpg video files and like-named .xmpes files (not the PSD's, you need them to create the menus). These are the renders that Encore generates. When you reopen the project and try to build again, you have to re-render the motion menus but it will definitely work now.

Also, just as a free Christmas bonus unrelated bug work around: when you close and try to restart Encore (in Windows at least), sometimes it will not open back up. This is because for some reason part of it is still running. ctrl+alt+delete to get the Windows task manager and look in the processes tab for something named Encore DVD something something, and stop that process. Now you can restart Encore. I encountered this a few times when trying to fix this project. Gee is Encore buggy or what?

Mike Browning

Return to posts index

Max Miller
on Dec 19, 2008 at 7:00:17 pm

"Buggy" doesn't even half cover it. The thing I hate most about this program is you have no idea if you've made an error until you have waited on it for who knows how long. Clients and bosses just don't want to hear about tech issues when you try to explain what's taking so long. The next most hated thing is, the errors are so random. You don't dare try to use this program without having this site pulled up before you start. I've nominated Encore DVD as the prize people should get when they reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllly suck at something. I stand by that.

Return to posts index

Matt Burrows
on Feb 25, 2010 at 6:26:17 pm

Thanks Mike. Big Help!

The only woman I'm pimping is sweet lady propane! And I'm tricking her out all over this town.

Return to posts index

Andy Wilton
on Nov 10, 2011 at 11:54:09 am

OMG,

I can't thank you enough for having taken the time to put your solution on here.

I spent 3 hours trying to get a project to work before finding this solution via Google.

You're my hero. Thankyou.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]