FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore 2 insists on transcoding my MPEG2 source files... HELP

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcow
Dylan Reeve
Encore 2 insists on transcoding my MPEG2 source files... HELP
on Dec 20, 2007 at 4:12:07 am

I have a large DVD project that includes over 70 individual source files. They are all MPEG2 720x576 25fps at 4500kps VBR. They've been compressed in Apple Compressor 2.

I can't see anything obviously wrong with them, but Encore insists they need to be transcoded. Given they are already at a lowly 4.5mbit, I don't want to risk another encode with them, and I don't really want to wait the approximately forever that Encore is going to take to do the encode.

Please help - what about my MPEG files might be making Encore unhappy, and how can I go about fixing it (preferably without having to reencode all 70-odd videos). I have FFMpeg, which I'm fairly sure can help me wrangle file containers and the like, if need be, but I have to figure out what command line options to use and even what it is I am needing to achieve.

AVIcodec reports the following on one of these files (a reasonable sample one):
Video : 232 MB, 4675 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 720*576 (5:4), = MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video, Supported
Audio : 19.13 MB, 384 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x50 = Mpeg-1 audio Layer 2 (MP2), , , Supported

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Encore 2 insists on transcoding my MPEG2 source files... HELP
on Dec 21, 2007 at 3:22:16 am

Are they muxed .mpg files or elementary streams? If muxed, what is the format/codec used for the audio?

If Encore has to transcode the audio in a muxed .mpg file, then I think it has to re-transcode the video as well. (This may be incorrect, or have exceptions)

Try exporting from Apple Compressor as elementary streams (if you haven't done that already).

Encore sometimes balks at elementary mpeg2 video streams if, for example, they were transcoded with open GOPs and/or frame-based encoding instead of field-based.

Try experimenting with short excerpts from your video content so that you can see what combo of settings will work, without having to wait approximately forever.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Chuck Rosenecker
on Feb 8, 2008 at 9:06:30 pm

We encounterd a similar problem on a project, exporting MPEG-2
files as well as H.264 from Compressor in FCP.

The belief is that Encore will transcode any file with frame rates outside native specs. (30p for instance)

This proved very frustrating, but seems a simple answer looking back.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Mar 11, 2008 at 5:59:42 pm

I have been trying to figure out what exactly are "Native Specs" for BluRay on Encore?
I tried bringing in a standard 60i HDV (MPEG2) MOV file that I can build as an HD DVD
file in DVD Studio Pro without transcoding but Encore insists on transcoding. This should
be a pretty vanilla standard BluRay ready file.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 11, 2008 at 6:42:00 pm

HD DVD and Blu-ray requirements are not exactly alike.

If Encore is transcoding your video, then it's not Blu-ray legal. Check Encore's help for more information on Blu-ray legal frame sizes/rates.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Mar 11, 2008 at 7:25:16 pm

As I mentioned previously, I have a very standard MPEG 2 1920/1080 60i
M2V file. I also have 1440/1080 60i files all are under 25Mbs. These are legal
frame rates and sizes.

I have checked Encore's Help options and have only found info on supported files formats
that can be imported into Encore which then must be transcoded. I have not found info on transcoding files prior to bringing them into Encore which is what I prefer to do.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 11, 2008 at 7:42:20 pm

Well, if it's a Blu-ray legal video format, then something else is causing Encore to transcode it. Two guesses at a solution come immediately to mind:

1. There is audio in this MOV file, and Encore is transcoding only the audio. Try stripping out the streams and then importing these into Encore.

2. The fact that it's in an MOV wrapper causes Encore to use its QuickTime handling code, and it's essentially being transcoded because it's a MOV file. I don't have a lot of confidence that this is what's happening, but if it is, the solution is the same as the first guess.

I'm not totally convinced your video is Blu-ray legal. What's its bit rate? And it's 1920x1080 at 60i? Not 59.97?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 11, 2008 at 8:05:40 pm

Also note that HDV is supported natively in HD DVD, but is not supported in Blu-ray, and would need to be transcoded. I remember that tidbit of information from a ways back.

You might want to do a web search on this and see what you can glean from it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Mar 11, 2008 at 8:10:59 pm

That would explain it. I went ahead a built a DVD image but I don't see any way to test
the file on a mac without burning the disc since the DVD Player app does not recognize the
BluRay files. Are there any software DVD player apps for playing a blu-ray image off
of a hard drive?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 11, 2008 at 8:18:37 pm

If you built a DVD image, then Encore should have transcoded all your HD video to SD, and create a standard DVD-Video image file. Or did you create a BD image file?

If it's BD, then you'll need a software player that supports Blu-ray (Apple's DVD Player does not). Try vlc, maybe? Anything else would probably be retail software, and I don't imagine there are many choices on the Mac yet.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Mar 11, 2008 at 8:39:29 pm

I'm sorry, I meant BD. I am only using Encore for Blu-Ray. I realize that the Apple DVD player
does not support BD and am looking for a Mac software player that does, but I don't see one. We are creating HD DVD images that work fine off of USB Flash devices with the Apple DVD Player and are wantng to do the same type of thing with Blu-Ray

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 11, 2008 at 9:22:59 pm

Yeah, Apple DVD Player supports HD-DVD folders and images, but not Blu-ray.

Not sure if there are any commercial solutions for this on the Mac yet. If you have a new-ish Windows PC, you could use PowerDVD Ultra.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Mar 11, 2008 at 9:51:52 pm

I was able to export files out of Final Cut with Compressor that Encore did not need to
re compress so that problem is solved. The preview function of Encore looks bad and does
represent the real quality of what is on the timeline. This coupled with the inability to play
the image file or folder once the project is built, makes it tuff. I will check into PowerDVD Ultra. I think I have a PC here I that will work. Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 11, 2008 at 10:05:19 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "The preview function of Encore looks bad and does
represent the real quality of what is on the timeline."

I think you meant to type that it does NOT represent the real quality of the video in the timeline?

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Mar 11, 2008 at 10:15:24 pm

"The preview function of Encore looks bad and does NOT
represent the real quality of the video on the timeline"

Yes, thank you for correcting my mistake again. I should have you read my posts
before I post them.

The point being, I can build a project that I know looks better than what preview is telling me,
but I cannot verify this when I am unable to play the BD build file/folder/image. So I will check out PowerDVD Ultra and see how that goes.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 11, 2008 at 10:18:04 pm

No worries. Just want to make sure the information is right for any future readers.

Thanks for posting your workaround, btw.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Mar 11, 2008 at 10:32:08 pm

The key when using Compressor to create Blu-Ray compatible MPEG-2 is to modify the
default settings in the Encoder page and set Stream Usage to Blu-Ray. It is typically set
to HD DVD if you select the HD MPEG-2 template.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]