Encore CS3: how insert a 16:9 anamorphic video

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alessio Gemma
Encore CS3: how insert a 16:9 anamorphic video
on Dec 9, 2007 at 2:33:19 pm

Hello,
I have a question...

I have an uncompressed MOV 720x576 (PAR 1,067) and it looks squeezed horizontaly like anamorphic video...
If I encode the uncompressed clip in MPEG2, I obtain a squeezed (DAR 4:3) clip that plays squeezed again in the DVD player. I thought there was a way to tell Encore to flag it as a 16:9 so that it'll be recognized from the DVD player as an anamorphic video (and then widescreened on 16:9 TV or letterboxed on 4:3 TV).

Someone knows if there is that flag in Encore? Or maybe my uncompressed MOV must be converted to a PAL 720x576 (PAR 1,42) BEFORE the MPEG2 encoding (or better, tell to the MPEG2 encoder to expand it at 16:9)?

Regards,
Alessio

Return to posts index

heath firestone
Re: Encore CS3: how insert a 16:9 anamorphic video
on Dec 10, 2007 at 6:06:09 am

I don't have Encore in front of me, so I am going from memory, but you should be able to right click on the video clip and choose Interpret Footage, Conform To, 1.42 (I'm guessing on this since I use NTSC, not PAL.) The pixel aspect ratio for 16:9 from 720X576 is 1.422.

Hope this solves your problem,

Heath

Return to posts index

Alessio Gemma
on Dec 10, 2007 at 6:54:02 pm

Thanks Heath for your reply,

I looked for the "right click option" to conform the clip to the 16:9 aspect ratio, I found it but it's disabled... I can see it in the option menu, but I'm not able to select it..
Any ideas??

Regards,
Alessio

Return to posts index

Heath Firestone
on Dec 11, 2007 at 2:39:05 am

This should only be grayed out if the video you imported has already been transcoded. Once it has been transcoded, the pixel aspect ratio is fixed. Since you brought in uncompressed, you probakly need to revert to original, then change the way it is interpreted and then retranscode.

This should solve your problems.

Heath

Return to posts index

Alessio Gemma
on Dec 11, 2007 at 11:10:41 am

Ok, this sounds the answer!
Well, so I have to transcode the uncompressed clip inside the authoring software, not BEFORE.
I solved the problem by compressing before to import the clip in Encore: I have an uncompressed 720x576 "squeezed horizontaly" clip and I tell compressor to make an MPEG2 at still 720x576 but with a display aspect ratio of 16:9.. doing so, the importeed clip looks ok in Encore.
Anyway, my last question is.. do you think it's better to FIRST transcode the clip and then import it in the authoring software or import the uncompressed and transcode later?
Regards,
Alessio

Return to posts index

Heath Firestone
on Dec 11, 2007 at 4:48:52 pm

It doesn't matter if you transcode or create a .m2v file in another application, like Premiere Pro, or within Encore, but either way, you have to specify the pixel aspect ratio when you create the file.

I like Encore's presets for 2 pass 7Mbps encoding, but it doesn't have the most useful indicator for estimating time remaining. Premiere Pro, however, has more rendering information, but you may have to make your own presets.

I do it both ways, but I guess I prefer to do the encode in Premiere when I can. Since you can do this directly from your timeline, it might save time and space, not having to render an uncompressed version.

Heath

Return to posts index

Alessio Gemma
on Dec 11, 2007 at 8:18:55 pm

[Heath] "It doesn't matter if you transcode or create a .m2v file in another application, like Premiere Pro, or within Encore, but either way, you have to specify the pixel aspect ratio when you create the file."

Great, this' the finalk answer I was looking for. I always make compression first and then the authoring. IF there's any advance using one method or the other one.. well, I'll continue with my workflow.

Thank you Heath.

Regards,
Alessio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]