FORUMS: list search recent posts

computer vs DVD player?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian47
computer vs DVD player?
on Nov 16, 2007 at 2:24:25 am

I've been having some issues with a couple recently burned projects. One is 1 hour and 32 minutes, and I burned DVDs from Encore as well as Premiere Pro 1.5. The DVDs from both programs stutter terribly on my desktop computer. It has a 1.8 ghz single core processor and 1 gig of RAM. It plays perfectly on my DVD player in the living room, and it also plays perfectly on my roommates desktop computer which has a 2.8 ghz single core processor and 256 mb of RAM. Is it the processor speed that's tripping it up? I also burned a 4 minute DVD and have the same problems. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: computer vs DVD player?
on Nov 16, 2007 at 4:54:58 am

Is there any stuttering or odd noise from the drive itself, or just the display?
How well do commercial DVDs perform in the funky drive?
Perhaps the drive manufacturer offers a firmware update that may address a known issue.
Try writing the Encore project as a DVD Folder. Than burn the DVD with a dedicated burning app (ie: Nero or Toast).
Is your media generic or brand-name? For DVD-Video, brand-name DVD-R burned at the drives slowest speed is a good idea.

Just some thoughts

Return to posts index

brian47
on Nov 16, 2007 at 5:38:42 am

The drive doesn't make any unusual noise, it's just the audio and picture that skips or stutters. I just popped in a commercial DVD and, while it's not as pronounced, the problem is still there. The DVDs I used to burn the projects were Magnavox DVD+R.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Nov 16, 2007 at 6:56:37 am

I'd go to the drive manufacturer's website and check for a firmware update - follow all of the update instructions.
But, as you're noticing an issue with playback of commercial DVDs, the drive may be failing and need to be replaced. Or maybe the lense is just dirty.

Memorex should be of suitable quality, but I'd move to DVD-R when you go for your next media purchase.

Almost forgot, when using a dedicated burning app, usually there is an option to "verify" the burn. Your burns may have errors. It takes a few minutes to run a verification on a DVD, but if you want your work to last forever it's a small effort.

Can you pull the programs off the DVDs and get them back on your hard drive - this can sometimes determine if the burn was bad?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]