FORUMS: list search recent posts

During Build - deletes some video on timeline, but not audio!?!

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dax702
During Build - deletes some video on timeline, but not audio!?!
on Nov 11, 2007 at 9:45:10 am

This is going to be a little tough to explain but here goes. I have a 4 hr 7min DVD. Everything looked like it was fine, there were no errors in the pre-build check. After the encoding is finished and it starts to write the files it says 6.30GB which is obviously way too small for a 4 hour DVD set to automatic transcode settings. Well sure enough, after the build is complete, the timeline has changed (on its own) and the video ends at around 3 hrs 12 mins, however, the audio continues on to the end. When I play the DVD through WinDVD, the video goes black and the audio keeps playing.

I took the screen shot below AFTER the disc build was complete. If you look, you will see the video pick up again at the last chapter 36. This is because I had to make a change to the ending credits and just imported a new small .avi asset and apparently this didn't get chopped off this time. Last time I tried this about a month ago, when the timeline was all one file, the video was blank from the same 3 hr 12 min spot until the end. Has anyone experienced this before? If so, what is the solution? If this doesn't get fixed, Encore CS3 is useless..

encore_screen.jpg

Return to posts index

dax702
Re: During Build - deletes some video on timeline, but not audio!?!
on Nov 11, 2007 at 10:00:27 am

Oddly enough, when I put the pointer in that apparent blank space after 3 hr 12 mins, the video plays on the monitor, but the image of the video on the timeline isn't there?! Has anyone experienced this before? If so, what is the solution? I need to get this fixed pronto.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Nov 11, 2007 at 1:21:30 pm

I've never heard of this before.

Tell us more about your system, your project and your assets.

In addition to all that other info, did you burn the project to disc, create a set of DVD folders or create a disc image? How does the project play on a set-top DVD player? A software DVD player?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

dax702
on Nov 11, 2007 at 5:46:28 pm

All my work is standard NTSC. I encode to NTSC DV AVI and bring it into Encore so it's not like I'm importing any kind of non-standard files. It's a DVD9 project, a little over 4 hours, 36 chapters, six menus. I created DVD folders, not a disc yet. I had read that it's best to create folders in case I need to use another application to change the layer break (ImgBurn) The folders on my hard drive play fine in that when the video cuts out at 3 hr 12 min, it just keeps playing the audio on a black screen. I did it again over night last night, woke up this morning, same thing, the video magically disappears. The only thing I can think of doing at this point is to chop the 4 hour AVI file into two files; is there some kind of weird 3 hr 12 min limit to an imported asset? That wouldn't seem right.. As for a system, it's a core 2 duo Intel with a gig of ram.. It runs Encore fine and I haven't received any error messages or crashes from Encore either.

Return to posts index

dax702
on Nov 11, 2007 at 8:27:58 pm

I decided to try and build the DVD again but this time use the manual layer break setting to see if that changes anything. I've attached another screenshot I just took during the build process. As you can see, the disc should be full, 8.54gb. Also, as you can see, the video on the timeline exists after that 3:12 mark. So everything appears to be normal during the build process:

encore_during_build.jpg

Return to posts index

dax702
driving me maddddd
on Nov 12, 2007 at 7:53:13 am

Well, I've basically spent all day and night trying to figure this out. Troubleshooting this problem takes forever because I have to wait so dang long for the transcoding to finish. So far I've had no success. I've tried:

1) Automatic transcode setting, then build dvd folders
2) Automatic transcode setting, with both auto and manual layer break.
2) Created a preset, then build dvd folders
3) used the "transcode now" feature to try and transcode first instead of going straight to the build.

The funny thing is that based on the progress bar, and the bit calculation, I'm able to calculate 1/3 and 1/2 and based on the progress bar, the video should have been around 7.5GB so the halfway mark would be around 3.75GB. So when I open the transcodes folder as it's transcoding, it's right on. When the progress bar got to 50%, the m2v file was at that 3.75GB mark. So that tells me that it's opening/importing the full length video. But when it gets to that 3 hr, 12 min, 44 second mark, something just makes it stop and start on the audio.

The only thing I can come up with is that there is some sort of problem in my 55GB avi asset at that spot. So, I'm re-encoding that video and am going to attempt to use the "replace asset" feature in Encore to hopefully just replace the avi file and not lose my chapter markers. And then try to build the dvd folders again over night as it's just about done encoding the AVI right now.

If THAT doesn't work, I plan on importing the asset as M2V already encoded and I'll just have to deal with placing the chapter markers in the best place possible.

If somehow THAT doesn't work, I will have no choice but to split the DVD into two DVD5 discs.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: driving me maddddd
on Nov 12, 2007 at 12:08:30 pm

Be sure to Save As to create a copy of your project and work on the copy. You should also perform a "Revert to Original" operation on the troublesome .avi asset before you do the Replace Asset op.

It may not be relevant, but do you have any Matrox hardware installed on your computer? Canopus?

Are any significant changes to the video/audio content occurring at 3;12;44;00? Does the source video that you used in Premiere use any codecs other than DV? Is it possible that there are other characteristics of the source video in PPro that could be contributing to this?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

dax702
on Nov 12, 2007 at 5:58:27 pm

Well I woke up this morning and turned on the monitor and saw that 7GB m2v file and knew I was in the clear! Re-encoding the AVI and using the replace asset did the trick for whatever reason. I even looked up online how to test an AVI for errors using the command line tool ffmpeg and I ran it on the original AVI file and it didn't come up with a single error. But for whatever reason, Encore simply stopped encoding video at that mark. At least now I know if that happens again (or if it happens to anyone else on here) that it's the AVI file, even know there's no obvious or even hidden errors that I could find.. Insanity!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Nov 12, 2007 at 6:19:15 pm

Thanks for PYF. (Posting Your Fix)

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Hector Melendez
on Dec 21, 2007 at 3:15:33 am

Hey, I have the same identical problem with Encore 2. The avi file is 2:06 (2hrs,06min)from Premiere. I had re-encode the avi 2 times but the problem persist. It broke the timeline at 1:36 but the audio continue up to 2:06.
Never had this problem before.
I'm now re-encoding the avi file into a folder to avoid the re-encoding process any time.
NOT sure how did you fixed the problem.
Please, explain me
Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

dax702
on Dec 21, 2007 at 10:38:57 am

I couldn't figure it out. But reencoding the avi file did the trick for me. Just for whatever reason, something in that first avi file was apparently bad, or at least enough of something was wrong that caused the mpeg encoder to quit.. try re-encoding your input avi file and see what happens..

Return to posts index

Fandi Abu Bakar
on Oct 6, 2010 at 4:09:46 am

I just had this same problem during transcoding in Encore where my video timeline suddenly "being trimmed down".

Video Format: DV-Pal
Video Duration: 2hrs 13mins
DVD Capacity: 4.7Gb
Transcoding: Automatic

I had no problem encoding the first disc which the duration actually longer than this one (2hrs 17mins) and manage to burn on a 4.7Gb DVD. Tried playing it on a DVD player and had no problem.

Anyway, I will try to use your method (re-encode the video from Premiere) and keep you posted on the result.

Return to posts index

Fandi Abu Bakar
on Oct 6, 2010 at 7:51:29 am

Hi again...looks like it solved my problem.

I've re-encode my video and import it to Encore. Am transcoding it now and it seems the problem is gone.

I think its true when you said that it could be the problem during exporting out the video from Premiere.

Thanks a lot bro for the advice...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]