FORUMS: list search recent posts

Menu buttons Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
acacius
Menu buttons Encore
on Oct 30, 2007 at 3:49:41 pm

I desire to associate a sound to a button in a Encore menu, each time the little arrow is seen, previus to acctivate that button to see de video.
Can you help me?
Best regards

Return to posts index

Scot Sheely
Re: Menu buttons Encore
on Oct 31, 2007 at 6:29:05 am

To do this, you need to use a bit of DVD trickery (until you start using Blu-ray and the additional support is added within that specification, that is!).

With standard DVD's, you cannot specify a sound per button, but you can specify a new sound for each menu. Therein lies our solution to your problem.

To make it appear as if each button on a single menu has its own sound, create a duplicate of the menu as many times as you have buttons on that particular menu.

Then, set the first menu to reflect the sound you want on the first button as it is highlighted, but not yet selected. Set the second menu to relect the second sound, and so on until you have linked a sound to each of the successive menus and have their respective buttons highlighted.

Here is where the DVD magic comes in. From the very first menu, make button number 2, 3, 4 etc. set to auto-activate to each button's respective menu. In other words, button #2 auto-activates when the down arrow or number pad is used and takes you to menu #2, which reveals button #2 as highlighted. This menu is then playing your button #2 sound (or music).

Repeat this process for the remaining buttons. The effect is that as the end-user selects button #2, it appears as if the pointer and / or highlight jumps down to the #2 button, and you can then link each successive menu to its own sound, or music if you wish to do so. One very cool side benefit to this is, if you do a bit of planning, you can actually use high-quality graphics instead of the horrible subpicture highlights for a pointer icon.

Not only can you use, say, an actual picture of a ball and not have it distorted or changed by the subpicture highlights (as long as you don't set it that way!), but you can also have an animated icon by creating a short, looping video linked to a blank menu that plays in the background.

The net effect is that you have a high-quality image, which appears to the end-user as a normal menu, when in fact it is actually a still graphic or video instead.

Here is an example of the static image trick first. I used an actual picture of a real basketball for this semi-pro basketball player's highlights reel.

In this web version, I condensed the menu to show the action, and not as much of the menu, but you can see where I am going with this. In the full version of this menu, the ball moves up and down the menu seemlessly when each menu item is selected, with no distortions of the basketball graphic.

I also have surprised a lot of people and have kept quite a few guessing as to how I made the basketbal jump into the hoop on this guy's shirt:

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=3394193

In this second example, I intentionally left the music out of this web version, but it does include music as well for the main menu. What is radically different, and what you have probably never seen before in a DVD menu, is the animated icon I mentioned previously. The heart pointer icon beats on each menu selection, and again, there are no distortions of the animated heart when the user selects the next menu item.

Here is the link:

http://www.digitaljuice.com/dj_showcase/detail.asp?page=1&portfolioid={7899...

If this is not clear to you as to what is going on, let me know and I will capture the actual movement of the icons on these menus and post them on my own website.

The important thing to note is not the cool animated icons, etc., but the fact that you can personally modify each new menu to reflect the music or audio of your choice. In my case, I elected to not have that effect present, but it is super easy to apply if you want it. Just go to the MOTION tab off of each menu's properties and select AUDIO, then use the pick whip or the drop-down menu to select which audio you want in your imported assets bin.

If all of this is still not clear, send me an e-mail to scot "at" imgvideos.com and I will send you my phone number so we can discuss this effect real-time (I am on the East Coast - USA, so that's EST/EDT).

Scot Sheely
Interactive Media Gurus

Return to posts index

acacius
on Oct 31, 2007 at 10:57:07 am

I appareciatte very much your fabulous answer, thanks a lot. This weekend I will work with it, and tell you my progress.
Best regards

Return to posts index

acacius
on Oct 31, 2007 at 9:22:26 pm

Scot

Return to posts index

Scot Sheely
on Nov 1, 2007 at 8:27:11 pm

scot "at" imgvideos.com
(Of course, replace the "at" with the @ symbol)

Scot Sheely

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]