help with user remote control

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vin2000
help with user remote control
on Oct 29, 2007 at 10:14:37 am

hey guys,

i'm having a little problem.

after i author the dvd, and say im watching it on the tv, if i click on "disc menu" it doesn't go to the root menu, sometimes it does, sometimes it will go to like another footage. and if i click on "title" it doesnt show the title and goes to some other footage.

i try to go to user control settings, and i don't get the option to let the user pick menu, etc... on the help it has all these features the user control panel has, but mine only has 8 listed.

any help on this little issue would be cool, thanks

vin

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: help with user remote control
on Oct 29, 2007 at 2:49:56 pm

The user doesn't pick which menu to go to when the menu button is pressed. You, the author of the DVD, do.

You want to look at Timeline properties, for Remote Menu, and set the menu you want the disc to go to there.

Return to posts index

vin2000
on Oct 30, 2007 at 1:13:20 am

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the quick response.

I know encore had the capabilities of limiting the use of the remote buttons, but I thought by default if someone clicks "disc menu" it would take them to the root menu and if they click on "title" the name of the dvd title will show up. But apparently I see now that's not the case!

I went to the properties on the timeline, but I still get the same problem.

On the DVD remote, after I burn it, if I click on the "title" button, it does exactly what i want the "disc menu" button on the remote to do. Clicking on "title" always takes me to the root menu. But "disc menu" on the remote activates like the "enter" button, it just starts a footage or goes wherever it wants.

I found no where on Encore, on the properties, or anything where it lets me assign an action to the remote buttons. It only lets me let the user be able to use it or not.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Vin.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Oct 30, 2007 at 1:34:15 am

Title menu is specified in Disc properties, and root menu is specified in Timeline properties.

To get to disc properties, select it in the flowchart, then look at the Properties panel. To get to a timeline's properties, select it in the Project panel or Flowchart panel, then look at the Properties panel.

Return to posts index

vin2000
on Oct 30, 2007 at 3:01:16 am

hi joe,

very cool, it worked. i just disabled the "title" action button.

is there any way to display the name of the project when they click on "title" ?? like in the upper left or right screen?

quick question, i noticed under the disc properties "main timeline" what's the purpose of that? i don't have a "main" one, but it forces me to choose one. just curious...

thanks!

vin.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Oct 30, 2007 at 3:18:24 am

There is no way to display the name of the DVD as you are asking.

Main Timeline is the timeline that plays if you stop (hard stop) the disc, and then hit play again. Encore doesn't force you to fill in this field - it chooses the first timeline created by default, although you can change it.

Return to posts index

vin2000
on Oct 30, 2007 at 3:12:57 am

another quick question regarding the "disc menu" button.

i noticed only on "timelines" i can direct where the "disc menu" button can go, but not on the menus.

when i play it on the dvd and i press "menu" button on the remote nothing happens when im in a menu different from the root menu, but on the timelines it works.

is there an options on the menus properties that will allow me to do that? i haven't found it, thanks...

vin.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Oct 30, 2007 at 3:20:51 am

Menus can't have a root menu specified in the DVD format - it's a timeline (VTS) property only. That's why Encore doesn't let you do it.

By the way, a good rule of thumb going forward, more right than wrong, is that if Encore doesn't let you do it, then the DVD-Video format does not support it. It's not always true, but it's mostly true.

Return to posts index

vin2000
on Oct 30, 2007 at 4:04:33 am

interesting, thanks for all the insight!

vin.

Return to posts index

vin2000
on Nov 1, 2007 at 10:34:26 am

hi joe,

i thought i had it all figuired out, but a new simple problem popped up.

i was able to disable the "title" menu in the disc panel, and that took care of that problem. on the timeline's, i was able to direct the "menu" button to return to the root.

i now know that menu's can't have a menu button property, so im a little confused because if im in the "root menu" and i click on the "menu" button on the remote control, it takes me to the last place i was!!!?! it shouldn't take me anywhere! i dont understand... and since it's in the menu, there's no properties for it... and i know by default on the timelines the "menu" always says "last return action" or something like that, and in the root menu it's doing just that. my only solution would be to disable the "menu" button entirely, which i do not want to do!

would you know how to go around that?!? thanks,

vin.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Nov 1, 2007 at 1:09:41 pm

if im in the "root menu" and i click on the "menu" button on the remote control, it takes me to the last place i was!!!?! it shouldn't take me anywhere!

Uhm...yes, it should, actually. That's how the Menu button works on all DVD players: if you're on a timeline, it goes to the specified menu, and if you're on the menu, it takes you back to the timeline where you last were.

Return to posts index

vin2000
on Nov 4, 2007 at 11:24:33 pm

interesting...

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Nov 5, 2007 at 2:12:36 pm

Yeah, DVDs are interesting. :)

You should check out a few Hollywood DVDs, and observe their behavior in a DVD player, and compare them to how your Encore-authored DVDs behave. You'll very likely find it interesting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]