FORUMS: list search recent posts

codec not loaded message

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
airkogan
codec not loaded message
on Oct 18, 2007 at 2:33:33 pm

I'm doing lots of experimenting for this, and I'm finding that a lot of files when I try to import them, including some quicktime files, tell me the codec isn't loaded. Is there a way to load these codecs one by one into a folder or something so that this will be enabled?

Thanks,

Alex

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: codec not loaded message
on Oct 18, 2007 at 5:06:06 pm

A lot depends on your source video. How did you acquire it?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

airkogan
on Oct 20, 2007 at 2:28:25 am

I'm encoding an H.264 file in Procoder. If I create it either in Sorenson Squeeze or Procoder I get the message that the codec isn't installed. I'm sure I have the 3ivx Mpeg 4 encoder in addition to QT Pro, etc. Do I need to move something to a specific folder?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 20, 2007 at 2:39:05 am

I haven't run into this problem myself, but if I did, I would start troubleshooting by finding whether the 3ivx decoder was a higher priority than the MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Decoder that is needed by Encore. Use the free program graphedit to check.

Or you could try uninstalling 3ivx, thereby (hopefully) removing its decoder from your system, and then try using your Squeeze or ProCoder files again.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

airkogan
on Oct 22, 2007 at 3:00:37 pm

Is the Mainconcept decoder installed when encore installs or do I have to download it from somewhere?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 22, 2007 at 3:13:45 pm

It should be installed when you install Encore.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

airkogan
on Oct 22, 2007 at 3:48:46 pm

As I'm analizing this more and more, I think the problem is in the files that Procoder is creating, which, however you save it, have a .h264 extention and not a mpeg4. In theory, can Encore import a .h264 file?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 23, 2007 at 2:52:40 pm

[airkogan] "As I'm analizing this more and more, I think the problem is in the files that Procoder is creating, which, however you save it, have a .h264 extention and not a mpeg4. In theory, can Encore import a .h264 file?"

I've found a couple of posts in the ProCoder forum that indicate PC3 does not output a useful h264 file. Example:

If you are looking for PC3 to do HD mpeg4, you're out of luck. There is an H264 'HD output'--however the 'fine print' (read, none) is that the output is a file type that you can neither play on your computer, or use for HD optical output (ie Blu-Ray or HD-DVD). Not sure what market the file output is targeted for, but I doubt it will be standard fare for videographers.

Here's a link to a thread in the ProCoder forum about an unhappy PC3 user, his issues, and what others had to say about. In that thread, the only response from GV was a snippy note about calling the Sales dept. instead of expecting results from posting in the forum.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

airkogan
on Oct 23, 2007 at 5:04:54 pm

Yeah, I've been through tech support from GV and they take a while to call you back, but they're very good. I think the programers didn't really know what they were doing when they set this all up. Hopefully they'll come out with a fix. Really stupid from what's been an excellent program.

And Sorenson isn't too much better so far. I cannot figure out if it's a problem on their part or Encore. I tried what you said creating a new timeline and it didn't work. I cannot figure out what to do. When I open it in my MPEG reader it shows as 16:9. It's like there's a coding issue between the two programs.

What do you suggest encoding H.264 files in that will be workable in Encore? I'm going to try x264. I know main concept has a stand-alone encoder, but it's expensive.

Thanks,

Alex

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 23, 2007 at 5:29:33 pm

1. Import uncompressed .avi files into Encore and let Encore transcode them.

2. Export from Premiere Pro as BR H264 and then import that into Encore.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]