FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subtitles/Closed Captioning...

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Gould
Subtitles/Closed Captioning...
on Oct 16, 2007 at 1:37:24 pm

Hi, I read on this forum that CC is different than Subtitles...but can I use Encore's Subtitle feature for the purpose of closed captioning? I'm doing a nature video for a non-profit and they have to adhere to ADA guidelines. I did notice that CC usually has the words sitting on a black background, does Encore do this and is it necessary? Thanks for any direction with this. I also need an MPEG 2 version to play on a kiosk with CC or Subtitles, could I use the files that I export from Encore?

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Michael D. Brown
Re: Subtitles/Closed Captioning...
on Oct 17, 2007 at 6:59:22 pm

Some people substitute subtitles for closed captioning, but we don't do it. More info is here:
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.45

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Oct 19, 2007 at 5:40:12 pm

Hi Michael, thank you for the info...it touched off a several hour research session. If you don't use subtitle, can I ask what method you do use? Do you know if Subtitles satisy the ADA?

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Michael D. Brown
on Oct 22, 2007 at 12:02:19 pm

Jeffrey,
Captioning is pretty tedious, and requires some skill, so we use an outside company to do it. The company produces .scc files to which we link up in the DVD.
I think the ADA only requires material be accessible by the hearing-impaired. I don't think they care whether it's with CC or subtitles, as long as they provide the same experience. I think subtitles are harder to read.
If you haven't already, this is a good source of deep background. http://joeclark.org/
I hope this is helpful.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Oct 28, 2007 at 3:08:33 pm

Thank you Michael, I read your post to my client and we set up a meeting to see if Subtitles would satisfy the powers that be, if not...I told them it needed to be outsourced at their expense. I'll let you know which direction it goes, you have been a great source of info and raised my awareness on the subject.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]