FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subpictures work on render but not on burnt dvd

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tripod
Subpictures work on render but not on burnt dvd
on Oct 13, 2007 at 4:08:34 am

PLEASE HELP!! I've built a motion menu in encore 1.5 with a 30 second avi (video and audio created in premier 1.5) looping and 5 text buttons created in photoshop CS. when i render a motion menu, everything is perfect and the buttons highlight perfectly. But when i burn a disk, the highlights don't work... the buttons still activate, but they make no change in state when highlited. I've tried changing color sets, opacities of buttons and subtexts, creating the buttons solely in encore, i've followed tutorials, made sure the buttons don't overlap... i've even tried using the stock buttons from the encore library with the same result (render is perfect, burn has no highlights). I'm at my wits end... seriously, i'm losing it. i've found other threads here with the same problem, but no solutions. Please help!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Subpictures work on render but not on burnt dvd
on Oct 13, 2007 at 11:25:19 am

What software/hardware DVD players are you using for testing the disc?

I seem to remember a problem between an early version of Encore and and a correspondingly early version of WinDVD.

What brand of blank media are you using?

What is your burn speed?

Is there an updated firmware version for your burner?

Try creating a disc image in Encore, then using the free program ImgBurn to burn the image to disc.

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Tripod
on Oct 13, 2007 at 5:29:31 pm

The hardware is an LG burner and the software is... can't remember exactly (i'm not in front of my comp) but something crappy that came with a cheap dvd bundle... it's not windvd. The other player is a panasonic run-o-the-mill home player. I've tried maxell dvd+r disks and verbatim dvd-r. Burn speed is 16x... should i try cranking it down? I've built menus without video backgrounds and the highlights worked fine. Could this be something to do with the video... or audio?? might it help if i export them from premier seperately (audio as wav, vid as avi) and add them seperately? I'll try imgburn.. thanks for your reply.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 13, 2007 at 6:19:31 pm

Try limiting your burn speed to 8x.

Maxell is OK for blank media but your Verbatim media is better.

If you want to test your project without a video background on your menu, delete the bg video and use an RW disc (no coaster that way) to test again.

Can you link to a screenshot of your Layers panel when the Menu Viewer contains the problem menu? Make sure all of your button layer sets are expanded.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Tripod
on Oct 13, 2007 at 10:30:16 pm

I tried burning a verbatim at 8x, same deal. my dvd viewing software is called powerDVD which came in a cyberlink dvd bundle. I've been creating dvd folders whenever i make changes and watching them with powerDVD. powerDVD seems to give the same results as burnt discs do (buttons without highlightes). Jeff I emaild a screenshot to the address on your website. Let me know if i can send anything else that will help. oh, something else kinda weird, now the "check project" function is coming up with "chapters and/or trims adjusted" which i think is an error the program creates while transcoding the project. Is this something i should be concerned about? thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 14, 2007 at 5:24:17 pm

I got your email and nothing seems wrong with the project as displayed in the screen shot.

In PowerDVD, do the highlights work either by hovering the mouse over the buttons or by using the player's navigation controls? Or do they never work no matter what is used?

How did you get the texture on the text? Is it a style from Encore's library, or did you use Photoshop or another program to stylize the text?

Did any part of this Encore project ever exist in another Encore project? If so, you should try rebuilding it from scratch in a brand-new project. You may want to try that anyway, just to see if it solves the problem.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Tripod
on Oct 15, 2007 at 2:14:58 am

In powerDVD neither the mouse nor the keyboard can make the buttons highlight no matter what. The text was created in photoshop cs using texture, glows, drop shadow etc... I tried burning a copy with simple text from encore with no luck. This encore project is completely original, and i have tried building it from scratch several times lol. It's truly driving me nuts as this video should've been out yesterday. I'm going to move the project to a different machine and see what happens. thanks for your replies jeff and keep them coming if you have any more ideas.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 15, 2007 at 2:58:50 am

[Tripod] "The text was created in photoshop cs using texture, glows, drop shadow etc."

We might be getting somewhere.

Did you create the subpicture highlight layer in PSCS? If so, exactly how did you do it? Highlights can't have styles or drop shadows or anything except a solid color.

Also, is Create Text Subpicture checked or unchecked in each button's Properties sheet? It probably doesn't matter which, but it may be useful info if more troubleshooting is needed.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Tripod
on Oct 16, 2007 at 5:52:53 am

PROBLEM FIXED! but not really solved. here's what i did. first off, the highlights weren't created in photoshop, they're just the automatic ones in encore.

My fix was to unbuild the menu step by step, then rebuild. I first took out the video background (leaving the audio) and built a DVD folder to test the result (i've learned that rendered motion menus aren't accurate but DVD folders are). It was the same, no highlights. Then i took out the audio, built a new dvd folder and whatayaknow, the highlights worked! then i added just the video to the project and built another folder, highlights still worked. then added in the audio again and everything worked... mysteriously.

Then i decided the timeline video needed a small change so i changed it in premier, reimported it into incore, and burnt a DVD. Guess what..? the highlights didn't work again. This time my unbuild, then build technique didn't work. I fixed it by changing the menu end action to menu/default, changing the loop to "none". so the menu still loops, and for some reason the highlights work too.

The inconsistance of all this rattled my willingness to trust this software ever again. troubleshooting shouldn't be shooting in the dark like that. I hope this post helps anyone unlucky enough to have this problem. Thanks for your help Jeff.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]