FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio playback problems on computers

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
honion
Audio playback problems on computers
on Oct 5, 2007 at 12:01:41 pm

I have a new problem with the audio playback on a PC. All of a sudden now I get video playback on all computers but no audio on a number of computers in the office, but the DVD, both audio and video works fine on a set top player and on some computers...What gives? I have tried making a DVD from the same source files on three different machines using both Encore 1.5 and CS3. I got the same results every time.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Audio playback problems on computers
on Oct 5, 2007 at 12:28:22 pm

What form of audio compression did you use when you created the DVD?

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

honion
on Oct 5, 2007 at 3:12:05 pm

I receive a file from our editor who uses Sorenson squeeze to encode the file. the audio settings are as follows:
Codec: MPEG Layer 2 Audio
Data Rate: 192
Sample size: 16
sample rate: 48000
channels: stereo

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 5, 2007 at 10:40:15 pm

[honion] "Codec: MPEG Layer 2 Audio"

That's the problem. MPEG Layer 2 is not a "legal" audio format for DVD. The DVD spec makes it optional, not mandatory, for any player, hardware or software, to recognize and play back an mpeg audio stream.

Do not put mpeg audio as the only audio track on the DVD, and do not place it in audio track number 1 anywhere on the DVD. I would personally also refrain from using it as background audio for a menu.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

honion
on Oct 8, 2007 at 7:01:47 pm

Our setup is to export a .mov from avid then use sorenson squeeze to create the dvd files. There are only two options within squeeze to create the dvd audio. MPEG Layer 2 and MPEG PCM. Neither of those is in the supported audio file formats listed on the encore support site. Do we need to use Premiere to re-encode, because currently we are not using it for editing.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 12, 2007 at 3:04:53 pm

If you have to have a muxed .mov file from Squeeze, then choose MPEG PCM. That is uncompressed audio that can either be written as uncompressed PCM audio to disc, or transcoded by Encore into 2-channel Dolby Digital when you build the project.

If you can export from Squeeze as elementary streams (.m2v and .wav), then your .wav file can be authored as PCM audio or it can be transcoded as 2-channel Dolby Digital audio.

If you need multichannel audio, then you will need to encode it as Dolby Digital or DTS external to Encore, then import it into Encore where it will be written to disc unaltered. Again, this will require separate elementary streams, not a single muxed .mov file.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Larry Chapman
on Oct 20, 2007 at 3:31:09 pm

The suggestions here might be the problem but. . . .

I had a similar behavior that ended up being caused by the two audio channels being 180 degrees out of phase. On computers that mixed the two stereo channels into a single mono channel the audio disappeared.

-- Larry Chapman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]