FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subpicture alignment

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Jurgenson
Subpicture alignment
on Oct 1, 2007 at 12:14:52 pm

I have just upgraded to Encore CS3 (and installed updates) on two machines. Both machines have the same problem.

When I import a menu from Photoshop (CS3) with text layers (PSD file), and convert them to buttons in Encore, the subpicture is offset from the original text, creating a very ugly look. (The "create text subpicture" box is checked.)

This doesn't seem to occur with library menus supplied with Encore.

Is this a known bug?

Return to posts index

Apogee Video
Re: Subpicture alignment
on Nov 7, 2007 at 1:57:21 pm

Eric - doesn't this suck? I'm having the same problem...on a main menu with only three selections. I'm reusing a customized template I've used for 3 years now with Encore 1 and 2...always worked fine. I somehow found a fix for it unintentionally, but can't get the fix to repeat itself yet. If you find (or have found) any solutions, please email me directly...

matt@videojournalism.com.

I'll do likewise if you send me your email address. This SUCKS.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Nov 7, 2007 at 2:42:11 pm

There is a simple workaround for this: uncheck 'Create Subpicture from Text' in the Button properties, then select button and create a subpicture from the Object menu.

Return to posts index

Apogee Video
on Nov 7, 2007 at 4:20:07 pm

I can see where and how to do that - but it's not that simple unfortunately. I just retraced my steps, and everything is fine until I add a drop-shadow to the text in Photoshop...so it appears that this creates the problem...however the subpicture doesn't even line up with the drop shadow - it goes the opposite direction. Thanks for your assistance, any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Nov 7, 2007 at 6:46:43 pm

You want the drop shadow to be covered with a subpicture? That's not going to look very good considering how DVD subpictures have very limited opacity compared to what goes into a drop shadow...it'll look like a blob.

Can you post a screenshot of the problem somewhere?

Return to posts index

Apogee Video
on Nov 7, 2007 at 6:56:28 pm

I'll send something over - thanks for your help.

Basically my main menu has three text chapters, and each piece of text has a drop-shadow. Until now I've never had a problem with a sub picture being out of alignment when that chapter has been clicked...for some reason CS3 is making this an issue. The sub pictures look just fine...normal state is black text, highlighted is yellow, and activated is red...no problem. I'll see if I can send this to you - thank you again.

Return to posts index

Case Marsh
on Aug 8, 2009 at 1:55:00 am

I know this is an old thread, but I ran into this subpicture alignment problem early on and overcame the problem easily.

For me, the alignmment problem occurred when I used the "subpicture button" in the button properties window. This should be the simple and obviously best way, but not with the misalignment. Also, the problem occurred when I had already set up a stroke on the text (not the drop shadow). So, I merely make sure I use the Object menu to set up the subpicture (Ctrl-Alt-B shortcut) before I apply my stroke and drop shadow.

In summary, no problems if I follow this sequence--Subpicture first from object menu or shortcut keys, then stroke and dropshadow.

Return to posts index

Jon Lutz
on Aug 6, 2010 at 4:52:16 pm

I ran into the same problem a lot of other people online have seen: button highlights out of line with the button text.

My menus were created in Photoshop, using the correct group layer names [i.e. (=1) etc.] and the menus looked fine in both Photoshop and the Encore monitor, where you edit the menus. But when I selected Preview From Here in Encore, I could see the subpicture highlight was off.

A lot of suggestions I found didn't help me: selecting create subpicture from the object menu, selecting interperet footage, etc.

Here is the solution that worked for me: make the photoshop image size 720x480 and select DV1 for Pixel Aspect Ratio. I had been given menus as 720x540 and just assumed they were right.

Hope this helps someone in a similar bind.

Video Editor | PBS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]